Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte M57SLI-S4v2.0 - cannot get into BIOS

Question Gigabyte M57SLI-S4v2.0 - cannot get into BIOS

Hi All,

Hoping you can point me in the right direction. First, system specs:

Gigabyte M57SLI-S4v2.0 (bought 8/08)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ (6/09)
    Windows XP SP3 (8/08)
    ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE (8/08)
    Kingston ValueRam 6400 2x 1GB sticks (6/09)
    also - Crucial 6400 2x 1GB -------------not in (8/08)
    Western Dig Caviar 7200 400 GB SATA (8/08)
    also - Seagate Barracuda 7200 400 GB IDE --------------not in (7/06)
    Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU (6/09)

Problems:
    I've had issues with Windows freezing up, not responding when there's a load on the CPU - sometimes with videos, other times simply changing tabs in Firefox. My screen has also been having some wavy verticle lines going through it at times. Lately, the system would hang at the Windows XP start-up screen and would not boot, or would only boot into safe mode (on its own, without it being chosen as an option). I did a system restore and was able to get back to the normal XP boot, without it hanging.

And, for quite some time, I have not been able to get into BIOS. When I hit DEL at the post screen, it goes black with a cursor in the top left corner. I tried resetting CMOS, changing the battery, flashing an updated Bios, but nothing has helped. It now doesn't show the post screen, just runs through the boot-up and will load XP. It does start much slower than before, though, with a 10-12 second delay before it does anything (at which point my stomach tends to tie in knots as I wonder if it's going to brick on me).

So, my questions:
    Where's the most likely culprit for these troubles?
    Is it the PSU? Would that prevent me from getting to the Bios? (I have an older unit that I could test with but it's lower wattage and quality...) Is this not a good quality PSU? It's only 18 months old.
    Is it the MB? I've read that this model has issues with the southbridge loosening and petering out, and I did notice that it was very hot recently after only being on 10 minutes, but I don't know how to test the temp of that component. The CPU temps are running 30-32* C, which I think is acceptable, if I'm correct.
    Is it the graphics card? (Unlikely to be affecting the Bios, right? But I've got those wavy lines that are concerning too...)

I've tested the system without the HDs in, and it still won't enter the Bios, so I doubt it's a HD problem. I've scanned everything for malware, bad sectors, adware... system comes up clean. I've checked connections, unplugged and replugged, blew out the dust, etc. I disconnected all unnecessary components (took out the card reader, the DVD drive, all removable drives, etc.) I haven't quite brought myself to the point of bench testing it yet.... hoping I could have a better idea of what's wrong or suspect before I go there.

Hopeful that I can tap into some collective knowledge here. I like the answers I've seen in your forum so far. Thanks in advance for your help!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte M57SLI-S4v2.0 - cannot get into BIOS

I was thinking graphic card too, or drivers, but since you can get into windows at time I'm really not sure.

Can you borrow another card to test with just to be sure, maybe a lesser card or a PCI card.

Thread Information