Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help Overclocking UD9 / 980x, LAN not working, but detected.

Default Re: Need Help Overclocking UD9 / 980x, LAN not working, but detected.

How do I know if I shorted something or? Or destroyed my CPU? Ugh...I was reading way into this on another forum... Hopefully my cpu and rig is ok.
    Last edited by Gangifilms; 01-29-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Pretty worried still about possibly shorting something out, is it only damage over time to the CPU? Or is it possible that there is unseen damage down now to my CPU that I have abused it with voltage. My worst settings I put in was a stupid clock with like the Vcore as 1.58 and the QPI/VTT 1.6 for 4.6Ghz I was going for.

Chike is offline Senior Member

What's the point of being worried about things we can do nothing about?
    Your memory may be capable of CAS 8 up to DDR-1770 and CAS 7 up to DDR-1550, I'd look into if one of the 2 give better results than current clock.
    175x23 CAS 8 (may need higher QPI/VTT) or 155x26 CAS 7.

Also should I leave the Intel CPU Boost enabled or disabled? It does make a 4ghz overclock go to 4.1ghz if I am doing 25x160

Well I have a lot to learn, this was my first build ever in my life, the build went flawless, however I have a lot to learn when it comes to overclocking. So I learned my lesson, yes my CPU is damaged now. I know it is. When I was at 4.0 Ghz at first with my PC my idle temps were 30C. So now they are at 40C. Something got loosened up or short circuited. However I am going to correct these things, I would still like to hit 4.2 Ghz if not just keep it at 4.0 Ghz and call it a day.

It's just disappointing for me because this setup is the best air setup and I goofed the whole thing up...It is possible the my lapped Noctua went wrong, that the lapped base is actually uneven which is causing me not to overclock any further.

Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You can flash your BIOS, you will be fine. Just don't do it if it's storming in your area, or with @BIOS.

Use Qflash and you'll be fine!

DDR3 ram, it all depends, 1.8-1.9 is generally ok but not suggested for long periods. CPU Voltage, all depends on your cooling, if air I'd keep it under 1.5 or so, water maybe 1.55-1.6, colder than that up to 2.0V and above if you want.

You do have to keep your QPI/Vtt within 0.5 of your ram voltage though, and of course your ram voltage warranty it probably only good to 1.65, so 1.65-.175 is more ideal.
    Also this is the information I followed. You said the Ram is fine at 1.6V, and CPU Voltage to be under 1.5 when people are saying under 1.4, also I thought my rig was as good as water so that's why I pushed to 1.6vcore hoping it would be ok.

The info is a bit skewed, I wish you guys would have warned me a bit more, you know this is my first build!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

That says water, keep under 1.55-1.6. And I meant that for pushing a benchmark or something, and was only a suggestion for that not for 24/7 use. And you mentioned "What will fry things" so I was trying to give you something to keep things under or as an upper limit, as to not fry things.

I am sorry, I thought you were asking about pushing the limits, not daily use. I have ran 1.5-1.6 on water plenty on several CPU's and never damaged any of them, same with QPI/Vtt.

Are you sure your CPU is damaged, did you try reseating it with fresh thermal paste?

And when you are comparing temps with before, is that on the same BIOS version with the same program, and the same CPU, uncore, and ram freq, with the same Vcore, QPI/Vtt, Memory voltage, and Pll set? If not it wouldn't be a proper comparison.

People that say Vcore under 1.4 (At high clocks) are crazy/lucky, of course yes some CPU's can do 4Ghz or so with 1.25-1.35 they are VERY few and far between. Most need 1.3-1.4+ just to do 4Ghz, and when pushing 4.2-4.5Ghz+ as you mentioned you have to use 1.45-1.5+ always.

Read some of my memory reviews, and check the screenshots, you will see that I run 1.4-1.5 Vcore and 1.5-1.6 QPI/Vtt under heavy testing and do not have issues. I don't use 1.6 Vcore in reviews, but have ran it plenty on water without any problems.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-01-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Ok, it might be because my reflow on the indigo extreme didn't go right, or possibly my lapping on the heatsink went wrong. There is a lot of variables for error. But I think it's the overvolt due to the fact I was loading 4ghz at 51C and I am not loading at those temps anymore so...

But I learned my lesson, so my next rig in 2-3 years will go better. I will probably attempt water cooling by then.

Anyways, I have ran Prime 95 with vcore at 1.325 at 4ghz on Small and Large loads for 24 hours each. I have been running Memtest+ with my 12GB at 1600mhz for about 10 hours now...7 passes. Waiting to get to 10 right now.

Going to try the blend feature in Prime 95, using all my ram and stressing the cpu. Then move onto orthos or linx...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

It very well could be, and honestly I've never trusted that stuff anyway just due to the install directions telling you to basically fry the CPU to set it up.

1.325 at 4Ghz sounds good and normal to me, CPU under load for that long and stable means everything is fine.

I blended for about 15 hours, now I am using a program called Linx which is at 50 passes out of 200, so I will run that for another 20 hours. Then I am going to bench my hard drives to see how the performance is there.

But it's looking and feeling very stable on my system. The only problem I see right now is that my Graphics Card only shows as a 1.0 on the Windows Index, anyone know why?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information