Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help Overclocking UD9 / 980x, LAN not working, but detected.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Need Help Overclocking UD9 / 980x, LAN not working, but detected.

Well it wont take 10 minutes, it should be maybe 1-3 maybe for each CPU plane test, can't remember.

If the planes are moving it's still going, they'll stop or it will crash your PC if it's failing.

Sorry, not sure about calibrating screen software. I've used this guide in the past before, but spent a bunch of time and didn't end up with anything better than doing it without the guide.
    LCD monitor test images

Yeah all the planes stopped completely, just frozen.

Thanks for that link.

you need to up cpu votage a little the test is crashing
    does it blue screan or just freeze up
    Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
    Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
    2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
    6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
    2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
    Ultra X4 1200 Watt
    Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Freeze

Hey, Gangifilms, I like your box setup. Do you have a link to info about the two extra fans? I bought the Lian Li PC A70B, even though it was an older model mostly because I fell in love with its front bezel but also for its potential for great air flow. But for my next box, I was thinking about a couple of boxes that do not have great air flow...or that's how it seems to me. Your fans seem to have crook-able necks and be able to spin in a casing for even more control over direction.

PC2011 :: IMG_5214.jpg picture by DukeGangi - Photobucket

Your cpu seems pretty healthy to me. Maybe it's not as good as when it was new. But it doesn't look abnormal. :)

Regarding color calibration, can you say what monitor you are using? For various reasons, I have only ever bought Ultrasharps, except for one Samsung TOC monitor with a tv tuner in it. I'm assuming you are referring to the little one. Can you confirm that your panel is indeed not tn?

Alright I bumped my voltage from 1.325 to 1.335 something, the next one up. Ran the CPU Test #2 the Crash and Burn test, still locks up on the planes, exact same position. I think it's faulty software, not my computer.

I pass prime 95 and linx also the vantage cpu test #1 with flying colors...

Which fans? On the heatsink?

Newegg.com - Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm CPU Cooler and Case Fan

Monitor is: (without the webcam)

Newegg.com - ASUS VK246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1 ) Built-in Speakers w/ 1.3m Pixel Webcam

I was referring to the black fans. One is pointing at the GPU. The other is pointing at the ram and the Noctuas themselves. I do not believe that these fans are by Lian Li. :)

A good quality color calibration tool and software costs as much as your monitor. A high quality tool and software kit costs several times more. Your monitor seems to be a high quality tn panel. Even so, this monitor is much more useful for gaming and movie watching than for your professional work because it is unlikely to accurately produce for you the colors you have recorded with your camera. It is simply the nature of tn technology. Considering that you work in a video/film-related field, I am not sure that you would want to use this monitor long for any professional work. You probably will want to upgrade at some point to at least a mid-level IPS panel.

You can go here for a brief discussion from 2009 regarding color calibration kits.
    What is the best monitor color calibration device/software out there for the money? - [H]ard|Forum

There are several good quality forums to seek better advice concerning various aspects of audio and video related queries. One of the best forums to ask for advice is AVSForum.
    AVS Forum

And someone wrote up a nice report about this panel's dithering process.
    ASUS VK246H --> 24" LCD Review ** Final Update ** - Flat-Panels-LCDs - Computer-Peripherals

TN panels have pretty interesting characteristics. One of them is that if you look up at the screen, the colors all darken out and you cannot recognize anything. And if you look down at the screen, the colors look faded. If the colors seem to you unacceptably faded, then this simply means that your eye level is too high relative to the position of the screen. You need to either lower your seat a bit or raise the monitor from your desk by setting it on a riser or stand or just random hardback books. Once you get your eye level at a good position, such that the colors seem richer and deeper, you can then use the lagom test to make the colors seem more beautiful and appropriate. I don't know what utility there would be in spending hundreds of dollars on a calibration tool to try to make a tn panel reproduce the colors you have recorded. I think lagom should suffice for your monitor. You should be able to get beautiful colors with just this test. If you do want to buy a calibration tool, then you probably should also upgrade your display to an IPS panel.

Yeah I know this monitor is horrible for film. Colors are way off.

Thanks for those links and suggestions.

Anyway the fan you want is this:

The Antec Spot Cool Fan.

Newegg.com - Antec SpotCool 0761345-75018-9 Blue LED Case Fan

I screwed them into any left over motherboard mounting holes.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Freezing planes is Vcore or QPI/Vtt.

Try 1.4 Vcore and see if it's still the same as 1.35, just as a quick test. You can select CPU test only if you want. What QPI/Vtt are you using.

I've never seen it to be a software issue, but anything is possible though. Normally this is CPU error though, no matter what else you are stable or pass tests in.

The Vantage CPU test is a tough one, many will only overclock and bench at 6-6.2Ghz for Vantage due to the CPU test, but can bench other things at 6.4Ghz or higher, it's very tough on the CPU for sure.

What's the point? Honestly?

I mean if I run into graphics issues later on and something freezes on me then I will up the vcore or VTT at that time.

I don't even see the point in raising to 1.4vcore just to make it run, then lower it back down to 1.325vcore for stability.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information