Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't update Bios

Default Can't update Bios

Hi guys, I have a Ga-X58A-UD7 ver2 mobo and for the love of god I just can't update the bios from FB to FC...The reason I want to update is that I've been having a few issues with my vertex 2 drives in raid 0, and I was hoping the bios update might help...Now I have tried several usb pen drives ranging from 2gig to 8gig and Qflash won't see any of the drives? I don't want to use @Bios and I have tried to use a bootable USB pen drive and CD disc but still no joy! It just tells me no drive found....grrrrrrrrrr. Now I have never had any probs in the past updating bios via Qflash until now, yes I have downloaded the correct bios for my revision, but it won't work for me.....Should I try @Bios as a last resort?? I don't want to, as I know the danger of bricking the board. Why won't the Qflash see any drives? Thanks in advance...

*scratches head*

Default Re: Can't update Bios

Oh and yes I have set bios to optimised defaults before trying to flash :-)

Chike is offline Senior Member

Do you have USB Storage function or USB Legacy support enabled?
    Also the USB device must be FAT32 formated.

Thanks for the reply Chike, yes to both those. Even unplugged my G15 keyboard and used a microsoft board just to rule out any issuse there. Got me stumped.

Chike is offline Senior Member

USB devices show as hard drives, at post press F12 and select +Hard Disk, the usb should show as HDD 0-0 or USB 0-0.
    Same when flashing, you should select to install from hard disk.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

No I have been busy with work and have not had any spare time to have a go, I will give it another shot on the weekend. Thanks for the input guys! Will keep you posted :-)

well I have tried and tried to no avail. I have created a bootable USB (on 4 different pen drives) and I go to boot priority by pressing F12 and try booting from +HDD and selecting the HDD-0 (USB) and all I get is missing operating system or missing boot manager (or similar). I have tried using front USB ports as well as rear, tried using Qflash and all I get is 'No Drive Found'. I used the HPUSBFW program and followed the instructions set out by Lsdneasap in the How to use Qflash sticky, no good for me. I think either the bios is somehaw write proteted or none of the pen drives I am using are compatible..

Verbatim 2 gig

memorex 4 gig

Toshiba 8 gig

Corsiar Flash Voyager 8 gig

None are seen by bios Qflash, yet when I plug them in to reboot to enter Bios they are seen and read, even in boot selection they are seen...So why don't it work?

Should I just go ahead and try using the @bios???

Did you extract the BIOS file from the downloaded file? The file you download off the internet is NOT the BIOS but is a self extracting file that contains multiple files including the BIOS file. The file you put on your (pen) thumb drive should be just .FC (assuming you're updating to FC version of BIOS), not anything weird like .z_FC or whatever.

I just plugged in 3 drives at the same time and only 2 of them showed up, but until I kept not being able to update until I realized that I didn't extract the BIOS from the downloaded file :)
    GA-X58A-UD5 rev 2.0 & i7-930 batch 3015A245
    Kingstong HyperX DDR3 6GB
    SLI GTX 460 1GB gigabyte o/c edition @ 715Mhz core + GTX 240 1GB PhysX
    OCZ Agility 2 60GB SSD + 2x WD Caviar green 500GB 32mb cache RAID 1
    NZXT Phantom - white finish & corsair 1000HX

Hi draemn... Yes extracted the files from the bios download
    autoexe
    FLASHSPI
    X58AUD7.FC

In boot manager I have tried USB-FDD, USB-HDD, ZIP, USB everything and no luck :-(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information