Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-790XTA-UD4 Intermittent POST problem (No Display at all)

Default GA-790XTA-UD4 Intermittent POST problem (No Display at all)

I built the system in July of 2010, and had no problems with it until recently. There were no recent changes to the system (Software or Hardware wise) other than windows 7 security patches / AV updates, however the problem has evolved to no POST even with HD's disconnected and only 1 stick of RAM installed.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Initial problem started ~1/4/11: Stopped recovering from sleep mode cleanly and would require a hard reset to come back, this caused a corruption crash in windows 7 for me after a few times of hard resets. Initial troubleshooting was to Restore to setting as of 12/2/10 which was a few security patch updates ago and AV update, this restored the system but it still did not recover from sleep. So I turned off all modes of sleep (HD and Monitor sleep turned to never)<o:p></o:p>
    Current Problem has evolved: When in use the machine works flawlessly after getting a successful POST. However if the machine is left on idle I'll come back to a blank screen with it being unable to recover/wake up. When I attempt to reboot the machine it refuses to POST at all (No BIOS screen period) no monitor display, acts as if there is no input. The same thing happens (NO POST) if I shutdown the machine between uses and just attempt to cold power it up. <o:p></o:p>
    I've done the following troubleshooting, each of which has resulted in eventually receiving a POST and another session of a functional computer (4-8 hours of use) until I leave it idle again. <o:p></o:p>
    Round 1) Since I couldn't even get a POST I tried un-plugging all HD's, nothing, I tried removing all but 1 RAM stick, nothing, Put all the sticks back in and reseated my Vid card, nothing, I tried moving my video card to my secondary PCI Express slot, and Presto, came back alive, shutdown and reconnected HD's and was functional. I thought I had solved the issue as a bad primary PCI Express slot... <o:p></o:p>
    Round 2) Came back to machine un-responsive again, I had powered down this time. I tried using a different power connector to supply power to the Video Card, Nothing, I tried reseating the video card, nothing, I moved the video card back to the primary slot, nothing, Reseated my video cables from card to monitor, nothing, I unplugged the power cord on my Monitor, let it sit for a bit, and then plugged it back in and powered up the machine and it started working again ... I left the machine online but it did not help.
    Round 3) Reseated all power connections from PSU to Mother board, nothing, Reseated RAM again, nothing, Reseated graphics card & power, nothing, unplugged the old non-USB style keyboard I had plugged in (Duplicate Keyboard), came alive ... <o:p></o:p>
    This really makes no since to me other than it randomly starts working after a random amount of fiddling with various components in the system. <o:p></o:p>
    My next troubleshooting step is to have a friend lend me a power supply tester and confirm it is ok, though since I have had 0 issues while the machine is in use I didn't think it was the PSU? I am also considering flashing the BIOS as I am pretty sure I likely have an early rev, but I need to check that when I get home. <o:p></o:p>
    I've had the system OC'd to 3.8 GHz for the entire duration since July and I haven't made any changes to the BIOS settings as of yet. (I have not cleared the CMOS yet). With the H50 water cooler it runs very cool, ~ 40C.<o:p></o:p>
    Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
    System: <o:p></o:p>
    GA-790XTA-UD4<o:p></o:p>
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W (CORSAIR CWCH50)<o:p></o:p>
    CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX <o:p></o:p>
    MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB<o:p></o:p>
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB <o:p></o:p>
    CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600<o:p></o:p>

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA-790XTA-UD4 Intermittent POST problem (No Display at all)

Any suspicious voltage reading?

Ok, all who read this will probably laugh, but I've discovered the root cause. It was my LCD monitor ... In trying to get it to come back last night I by chance hooked up an old CRT monitor I had and it came right up. Shut it down and was great this morning too.

That was the oddest behavior for a failing monitor I've ever seen, just conicidence that cycling through other items it kept coming back to life... and showed no signs of failure while functional, either 100% fine or no display at all ... LOL

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

That is odd!!

Glad you found the cause though instead of spending weeks longer troubleshooting!

What was the model name and number of that faulty monitor? With some models this is a common problem and only requires the replacement of a few capacitors to repair it. You will know which ones are going bad they will show signs by swelling. Sometimes this happens from leaveing the monitor on often and in standby for long lengths of time.
    examples: LG L196WTQ-BF LCD Monitor Repair : Corporate Computer
    YouTube - DELL E172FPb LCD Monitor repair
    YouTube - Capacitors - Fixing an LCD computer monitor
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW