Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-X58A-UD5 rev 2 only gets to POST code 26, then starts over

Default GA-X58A-UD5 rev 2 only gets to POST code 26, then starts over

Hi. This is a new system that seemed to work fine for a few days. It has done this twice in the last 48 hours.

Everything is fine, then for no reason the computer BSOD's, then the video display goes blank. After pushing reset, the 2-digit POST error code displays: C1, C3, 02, 18, 25, 26, and then repeats, over and over the same 6 codes. It will not allow you to enter BIOS setup (obviously because it never gets to 60h) and there is no display (again, obviously because it never gets to 2Bh).

Resetting CMOS makes no difference.

After a long period of time (at least 1/2 hour) the computer will then POST normally and everything is fine for awhile.

Does anyone know what is going on? This seems like it should be simple to diagnose for someone with a detailed knowledge of the POST routine.

i7-950, 3 sticks of G.Skill 4GB CAS 7 ram, 12GB total, Seasonic 750w PS, EVGA GTX-580, Noctua cooler, HAF932 case, SSD c: drive.

The RAM, video card, all connectors, etc. were removed, re-installed, and triple checked for correct installation, tightness, etc.

I really hope someone can help!

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD5 rev 2 only gets to POST code 26, then starts over

mybe you have to update to the latest bios

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Are you sure it's not 2b?

2b
    When the system powers on and the Debug LED shows the usual POST code sequence but hangs on 2b or you get a beep code as soon as the sequence reaches 2b, then the Mainboard cant detect your Videocard properly. Note that the POST code sequence might not halt at 2b but continue, so the final POST Code it displays could be FF, 00 or 7F which means the Maiboard booted, entered BIOS, or OC recovery kicked in and is waiting for Input to enter BIOS. Since the Videocard couldnt be detected properly you will only see a black Monitor and either 2b, FF, 00 or 7F. Check if there is something wrong with the Videocard, the PCIE slot or BUS, the Monitor or monitor cable. Turn the Monitor on and off, switch the Monitor cable from one D-SUB or DVI plug to the other in case your Videocard has two. If this doesnt help then reboot and load the optimized defaults. If that doesnt help either try another Videocard if possible, or try the Videocard in another system to make sure its working properly. Try another monitor or try the Monitor on another System.
    Gigabyte Award X58 BIOS LED Debug Codes

Can you test that card in another system, or another card in your system?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Are you sure it's not 2b?

Gigabyte Award X58 BIOS LED Debug Codes

Can you test that card in another system, or another card in your system?
    I have not seen the code myself. I am just relaying what the computer's owner (my daughter) tells me. If it was indeed 2B, would the "B" be a capital B, or a lower case b?

And there is no other system to test the video card in.

Thank you VERY much for your help!

Ahh ok, well can you ask her to maybe take an image for you and post it here?

2b would be lower case.

You may need to go to her house, and either bring another tower to test in, or another card you can test in her system. Both would be ideal just in case.

Ahh ok, well can you ask her to maybe take an image for you and post it here?

2b would be lower case.

You may need to go to her house, and either bring another tower to test in, or another card you can test in her system. Both would be ideal just in case.
    OK, I just looked at how a 7-segment display shows "6" and b". So, she may have mistaken "6" for "b" and it may be a 2B instead.

The thing is, right now the computer is being used to complete a project and TODAY (Monday) is the deadline for completion. After today, there should be plenty of time to try to get to the bottom of the problem. I suspect it is in fact a video problem because since she has been using only one monitor, the computer has not acted up at all. And since the GTX-580 is known to run much hotter when using two monitors at two different resolutions, that may explain it.

Bringing another tower to her or testing her video card in another computer is really not an option at this point.

What about REMOVING the video card from her machine and then turning the machine on? Would she get POST code 2B?

Ya, 6 and b are very hard to differentiate, if at all possible.

In this case, 26 is not actually used as an error code, so it normally wouldn't be that unless you have a PCI card issue I think. That's what it appears to sit at for a little bit when it loads PCI cards I use in testing.

If you remove the card the system wont post at all. There isn't anyone there that can play? :)

Does she have any older computers? If so she could test the other cards from them PCI or PCIE, if she was up to it.

If you remove the card the system wont post at all.
    Right, but when it acts up, it does not POST. It only gets to 26 or 2b, whichever it is, then starts over. There is NEVER any video display, and the you cannot enter BIOS setup.

The reason seems obvious. There isn't going to be any video display until the POST routine gets to 2Bh. So whether the code is 26 or 2B, that explains the no display. And both are WAY before 60h where it looks to see if the user wants to enter BIOS setup.

I'm going to have her remove the video card and start the machine to see what the POST code display does. I'll let you know as soon as she does that, but as I said, I'm sure she won't have time to do that until tomorrow (Tuesday).

My hunch is it's going to re-created her symptoms exactly.

It does sound like the graphics card then to me.

I can run a machine now with no video card and see what it stops at, I'll do that now and post back shortly.

*Edit*

OK, just checked on P67 and 2b and 26 are easy to tell which is which as the b is lower case and the 6 is obviously a 6.

However the board posted all the way to FF with no video card, so I'll have to try it on X58 to be sure of what you should expect with X58.

Give me a minute
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-17-2011 at 11:43 PM.

OK, I guess you learn something new everyday as they say!

X58 also posts all the way through to FF without a video card.

b is lower case, and 6 has the line across the top. Can you have her verify which it is or send you an image?

I'm suspecting it is 2b still, I don't have any faulty cards so I can test that (I need to find one though now just for things like this!)

You may want to have her clear the CMOS and see if that helps, but she would need to reset the BIOS disk settings and all that if you've setup things before giving it to her, so that may not be a good idea.

Well wait, she can save the current profile and then load that after clearing the CMOS. On the MAIN page of the BIOS have her press F11 to save the current profile, this can be saved to the BIOS itself and or a USB Stick (Must be plugged in before starting the machine).

Then she can clear the CMOS, start and load optimized defaults, reboot back to the BIOS and on the MAIN screen press F12 to load her saved profile from BIOS or USB.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-17-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information