Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-P67A-UD4 Issues in BIOS/POST

Default GA-P67A-UD4 Issues in BIOS/POST

Whenever I set my RAM to anything other than the UD4's default of 1333MHz/9-9-9-24, I get constant issues in POST.

My RAM is rated at 2133MHz/9-10-9-24/1.65, but the UD4 won't even run it at 1600MHz without problems.

What is strange, is that there are only ever issues in POST - I've never had a single crash/blue screen in Windows or games. I've run Prime95 and Memtest86+ with the RAM at 2133MHz, without a single error. It's just getting past POST that's the problem - something goes wrong on just about every third boot, such as:

- It often reboots it'self half way through POST, and sometimes gets stuck in a mini boot loop with three or four reboots in a row.
    - Most of the time when it reboots during POST, I get the following message: "The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes in voltage. Latest settings in BIOS may not coincide with current H/W states"
    - It often hangs in POST on the "Memory Frequency:' line. I just had to restart it twice to get past that point.
    - It's gives me checksum errors, and then reflashes from the backup BIOS (twice, so far).

I'm not overclocking anything. The only settings I'm trying to change at the moment are the RAM settings. And the UD4 is rated at 2133MHz by Gigabyte, so there shouldn't be any problem at all.

My specs are as follows:

i7 2600K
    GA-P67A-UD4 (F7d BIOS (i've tried other versions too)
    Corsair Dominator GT CMT4GX3M2A2133C9
    GTX 580
    Last edited by oubadah; 01-17-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Default Re: GA-P67A-UD4 Issues in BIOS/POST

The memory controller is in the CPU not the motherboard. How can you run the RAM at those speeds in windows and not POST?

You need to raise qpi/vtt voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    How can you run the RAM at those speeds in windows and not POST?
    It still POSTs sometimes. As I said, roughly 1 out of 3 boots will result in POST failure. If it happens to get past POST, it seems 100% stable. That's what makes this issue so irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    You need to raise qpi/vtt voltage.
    How much? I've already tried raising it marginally. I don't know much about this kind of thing (ie. overclocking), and I don't want to break anything...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I see similar issues depending on settings, so it may be the BIOS kinks just still need worked out.

QPI/Vtt around 1.2 or above would be ideal for those speeds, but it does depend on your CPU and may be fine with 1.08 or stock even.

stasio is online now GIGABYTE Elite

Same case as me,I try QPI/Vtt from stock to up 1.22 (any level),as posted in Latest Giga BIOS thread.
    What about System Agent Voltage?
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

you can try as on other boards its part of the memory controller voltage. ASUS boards have it at stock set to 1.1xx something like that, its very weird. other boards such as GB have it at its stock level. intel says upto .975v is safe, so i am thinking on ASUS boards they have qpi/vtt split into two voltages, while on GB its one. you can try but i doubt that is the problem. i had no problem with RAM on my UD7.

I am sure stasio and LSDmeasap that you guys have seen 2133mhz done on 1.1v qpi/vtt from hicookie, he didn't touch system agent, and other people have been able to get RAM upto 2133 without touching it. Might as well give it a go. On these boards(GB) system agent voltage is derived from where the qpi/vtt voltage is as well when i did testing I found that a raise in system agent voltage slightly raised qpi/vtt by .02v when i raised it to .975. i think it might work the other way around. i have also found that too much qpi/vtt can cause a TON of problems.

Give it a go.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Too much QPI/Vtt will for sure cause issues, or boot failure!

What amount of QPI/Vtt have you tried oubadah? Some CPU's will allow more than others, I think 1.15-1.2 should be plenty for 2133.

You are setting your memory voltage manually to 1.66 right?

I am having the exact same problem. Only I am running 1600 and getting 1333.
    (haven't flashed Bios...no point for me...getting a new board soon I hope)
    I am mainly running stock timing and voltages, but running the SSD as OS/boot.
    (here I'll note: I accidentally installed windows 7 64bit on SSD in IDE mode, then later switched to AHCI mode and edited the registry in windows, and I also had the SSD on SATA III port 1 and HDD on port 0 and later reversed this). I don't think these are my issue.
    This problem arose unexpectedly right after windows ran update to SP1, waking me up at three a.m. rebooting. I realize now with some pauses during POST that I am also getting an AHCI Bios warning :*This version is only supports Hard Drive and CDROMS*. (I am concerned about this, but not experiencing any issues with HDD, SSD performance at this time...in fact...changing to AHCI boosted performance subsantially on SSD drive.)
    What may be notable is that the issue started after stability was achieved.
    But, what I have to do to avoid the rebooting problem is, hit the tab key during the BIOS Splash screen...and everything works fine. (have tried disabling splash, enable and disable quick boot, and even set longer delay on drive seek, but not really doing anything.)
    tab key gives me correct mem check timing and correct drive seek info on console, and then boots, badda bing. What puzzles me is that something as simple as hitting the tab key can circumvent the issue entirely.
    Now I know the Sandybridge has issues and I am not too concerned, I have a second HDD
    that is running on SATA II and it is showing errors (sector count) using CrystalDiskInfo..but I assume/hope this is just the controller dying and not my HDD as an identical (SATA II HDD) is running on SATAIII as well and shows no errors.
    Built this system three weeks ago, on the day the bad news about SandyBridge MB's being bad arrived. Hopefully the new MB's will be out soon. The Gbyte MB was a random pick for me...next time I will do my homework, and likely skip Gbytes for now.
    My, but it sure made me smile to go from a P4 to an i7, and IDE HDD to SSD!

Good luck.
    cbpnkn

ANTEC|LANBOY AIR Blue Case
    KINGWIN|ABT-1000MA1S 1000Watt
    Intel Core i7 2600K SandyBridge
    MB GIGABYTE|GA-P67A-UD4 P67 LGA1155 MB
    16 GB DDR3 G.SKILL F3-12800 RAM (1600)
    NVIDIA GTX 465 Video card
    Crucial 64GB SATA III SSD Drive
    2X 1TB WD Black HDD drives
    ..."With a 'D' cup"

"To get ahead, one must sometimes take a few steps backward. ...in which case, I should be well ahead of myself by now."

Thread Information