Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte BIOS Settings

Default Gigabyte BIOS Settings

I need some explanation for the following BIOS settings:

1) "Isochronous Support" Enable or Disable?
    2) "Bi Directional PROCHOT" As I understand it, this is some kind of temperature protection thing that should be left Enabled? How does it differ to TM?
    3) "Performance Enhance" (As found in Advanced Memory Settings). Options are 'Standard', 'Turbo' and 'Extreme'. What exactly does it do? Is it some kind of automatic memory overclocking? I have it at 'Standard' ATM.
    4) "DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" What's the difference between 'Quick' and 'Expert'?
    5) "eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD)" This is just Gigabytes automatic RAID gimmick? If I'm configuring my own RAID array via the intel BIOS menu (Ctrl+I), I should set eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD) to Disabled, and choose 'RAID' mode in "PCH SATA Control Mode"?
    <!-- / message --><!-- message, attachments, sig -->

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte BIOS Settings

First two, unsure but you are right on #2

For #3 this improves memory bandwidth, on older boards when overclocking Standard is best, on P55/X58/P67 Extreme is best to use.

4. Expert you set each channel one by one, quick you only set one channel. Expert is suggested.

XHD, yes leave that disabled and set RAID on the option below that

From my encounters with Isochronous, it describes a kind of Quality of Service measure. Basically anything that requires Isochronous transfer means that it requires data in response to its request within a certain time period. Enabling Isochronous support should mean that any data that is time critical and would mean a client machine/device action would be broken if not delivered on time, will be prioritized before other transfers. A bit like triage in a hospital or at an accident scene, where those in need of help the most are given treatment first, those that aren't time critical get seen after.

Bi Directional PROCHOT is indeed similar to Intel TM control. Unlike TM where the Processor will signal the board to cut power if a set temp is reached and in some cases throttle speeds at high temps, Bi Directional PROCHOT allows a more sophisticated level of control. It also minimises the number of pins on a CPU that must be dedicated to thermal management by being able to send a more compact form of data compared to Intel's TM.

LSD's definitions are also spot on.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    Bi Directional PROCHOT is indeed similar to Intel TM control. Unlike TM where the Processor will signal the board to cut power if a set temp is reached and in some cases throttle speeds at high temps, Bi Directional PROCHOT allows a more sophisticated level of control. It also minimises the number of pins on a CPU that must be dedicated to thermal management by being able to send a more compact form of data compared to Intel's TM.
    So do you still need TM if Bi Directional PROCHOT is enabled? Would the latter make the former redundant?

As far as I know, BDP is an extension of which ever throttling tech is used. For example AMD could also implement it and the BIOS would be programmed in such a way to make use of it in conjunction with AMD's monitoring signal.

I'd definitely keep Intel TM enabled. This alone contains enough function to litterally save a CPU. BDP necessity is questionable. It doesn't however cost any performance and I haven't heard of any instabilty issues using it. That's why I also keep it enabled.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I agree, TM should for sure always be enabled just in case.

BDP, I've never changed either, didn't think it would affect anything so I always leave it as is.

Quote Originally Posted by oubadah View Post
    I need some explanation for the following BIOS settings:

1) "Isochronous Support" Enable or Disable?
    2) "Bi Directional PROCHOT" As I understand it, this is some kind of temperature protection thing that should be left Enabled? How does it differ to TM?
    3) "Performance Enhance" (As found in Advanced Memory Settings). Options are 'Standard', 'Turbo' and 'Extreme'. What exactly does it do? Is it some kind of automatic memory overclocking? I have it at 'Standard' ATM.
    4) "DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" What's the difference between 'Quick' and 'Expert'?
    5) "eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD)" This is just Gigabytes automatic RAID gimmick? If I'm configuring my own RAID array via the intel BIOS menu (Ctrl+I), I should set eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD) to Disabled, and choose 'RAID' mode in "PCH SATA Control Mode"?
    <!-- / message --><!-- message, attachments, sig -->
    I know this an is old thread, but I have the same question concerning item number 3. All of my Gigabyte motherboards are set to "turbo" by default. There is no documentation describing the various modes. Why isn't "standard" the default? Wouldn't that be more stable? I do not want to overclock memory. I haven't experienced any memory stability issues to my knowledge, but I'd like to know how "turbo" differs from "standard".

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

From the P35 and P45 mobo user manuals:
    Performance Enhance
    Allows the system to operate at three different performance levels.
    • Standard Lets the system operate at its basic performance level.
    • Turbo Lets the system operate at its good performance level. (Default)
    • Extreme Lets the system operate at its best performance level.
    The advice back then was to use Standard mode while you were overclocking and stress testing and to try Turbo mode after you reached your final overclock and then repeat your stress tests.

I found that using Turbo or Extreme modes tightened some of the secondary memory timings, but Extreme mode was never stable for me. Using Turbo or Extreme modes had no effect on overclocking cpu or memory speed settings. There are several programs that will display the secondary memory timings including MemSet and Aida. Using Turbo mode resulted in an insignificant improvement in memory benchmark scores that were less than one half of 1%. Both of my overclocked P35 systems are running with 8GB of ddr2 memory with tight primary memory timings and Performance Enhance = Turbo.

For best stability and performance, Optimized Bios defaults should be loaded first, followed by making any bios changes. This also applies to systems that are not overclocked.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thread Information