Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX38-DQ6 : kernel processor error at windows boot

Default GA-EX38-DQ6 : kernel processor error at windows boot

Hello,

I have a EX38-DQ6 (bios F4d) with a E8400 @ 3870Mhz. Recently, the pump of my watercooling stop working when I was not near my computer. i found my computer shut down, I guess because it froze due to overheat on the CPU.

Now I have replace my pump, but I don't know why but my computer seems to run slowly. In game I have half the fps I used to. Sounds are crappy too.
    I decided to format and reinstall Windows seven, but it change nothing. Looking at the event viewer, I saw an error at every boot :
    "Performance power management features on processor 1 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.".

(and I have the same error for processor 0 as it's a dual core).

Is it possible that the overheat broke something ? Or maybe my BIOS is corrupted ?
    Searching for this error message gives me nothing (seems that is often associated with Speedstep technology, that I don't have I think on a E8400).

Thanks for your help !

edit : in fact the 8400 supports SpeedStep. Using CPU-z, it seems that the multiplier is lock at 6, even if I have a full load using Orthos or whatever.
    Last edited by petoulachi; 01-17-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EX38-DQ6 : kernel processor error at windows boot

You could try clearing the CMOS if you think it may be BIOS related.

Are you using the latest BIOS?

8400 does have speedstep, it's called C1E and EIST in the BIOS. Those must be disabled for your CPU to run at stock multiplier.

I'd suggest you clear the CMOS for an extended period, maybe 8 hours, then see if all is the same or not. If so update the BIOS, or reflash the same one.

After you clear CMOS be sure you load optimized defaults once you get going again, and be sure to set your SATA/Disk settings all again before you try to load windows.

In this guide I've wrote a section on clearing the CMOS, please try that method
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html

It could be a damaged CPU, but let's try everything else first. Do you know how long it ran before shutting down?

You don't have another 775 board to test with do you? If you do put the 8400 in it and see if you notice the same behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You could try clearing the CMOS if you think it may be BIOS related.

Are you using the latest BIOS?

8400 does have speedstep, it's called C1E and EIST in the BIOS. Those must be disabled for your CPU to run at stock multiplier.

I'd suggest you clear the CMOS for an extended period, maybe 8 hours, then see if all is the same or not. If so update the BIOS, or reflash the same one.

After you clear CMOS be sure you load optimized defaults once you get going again, and be sure to set your SATA/Disk settings all again before you try to load windows.

In this guide I've wrote a section on clearing the CMOS, please try that method
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html

It could be a damaged CPU, but let's try everything else first. Do you know how long it ran before shutting down?

You don't have another 775 board to test with do you? If you do put the 8400 in it and see if you notice the same behavior.
    I have the latest BIOS, F4d. btw, off topic, but you've already help me on the crucial forum (C300, RST10 on ICH9R and pioneer 216) ;)

I don't know if it's BIOS related or not. I don't change anything, so I guess it could be. I never had disabled C1E nor EIST in BIOS. I was used to see my processor at 430*6, then 430*9 when playing or something else.
    It just seems that now it's lock at 6x.
    I'll try to reflash BIOS, and clear CMOS (not for an extended period at the beginning). iirc, I'll have to first flash the bios, boot, load optimized default, boot. Then clear CMOS, boot, load optimized defaut, boot. And then configuring it like I want ?

I really dont know how long it run before shutting down. Could be like 5 hours, but I'm sure it's more something like a few minutes.
    I really hope my CPU is not damaged, as it's still quite expensive even if it's a little outdated now. Don't have another moberboard too.

Ahh cool!

Yes, please try clearing the CMOS and see if that helps.

You don't have to flash just to clear the CMOS, you can if you want but it's not needed. If you do flash use Qflash and disable "Keep DMI Data", then reboot and load optimized and reboot again and set your disk settings, then check and see if it's fixed without having to clear your CMOS.

EIST and C1E need to be enabled in the BIOS for speedstep to work, and you need to use Balanced power plan in windows.

I've tried clear CMOS, but don't change anything, reflashing, nothing change.

This is really weird : I tried disable C1E, EIST and the Temp throttle thing (don't remember the name), and boot in windows.

Using TMonitor from CPUID I saw the the multiplier is still x6. Launching Orthos, it set to x9.

Trying in game (wow), the multiplier stay at 6x... the cpu is not at 100% though, but I have half the fps.

I'm lost. Maybe the proc is damaged but I would say that a damaged proc won't boot ? Also, I do 12.620sec at SuperPi 1M which seems reasonable ?

What does it show in CPU-z at idle, and under prime95 load, for CPU multiplier?

What power plan do you have set in Control panel?

CPU z does not show 6x if it's disable.
    If enable, it show 6x in idle and 9x with prime.

I also set power plan to performance.
    BTW error log at boot in Windows event viewer had disappear since clear cmos

Sounds like it is working correctly then.

If C1E and EIST are enabled, and power plan is balanced then it should be 6 at idle and 9 at load (If 9 set in BIOS).

Disable C1E and EIST, and or use High Performance Plan (CPU Min/Max at 100%) it should run 9 multi all the time.

Nice to hear the errors have stopped now, maybe it was just BIOS corruption and the CMOS clear fixed it.

I've set power plan to High performance mode (CPU min/max is at 100%), but don't disable C1E and EIST, and Cpu-z shows 6x in idle.

The error is gone but the problem is still here :/

You have to disable C1E and EIST if you want x9 at idle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information