Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nagging UAC prompt when EasyTune6 launches at Win7 startup

Default Nagging UAC prompt when EasyTune6 launches at Win7 startup

Is there any real fix for this? Shouldnt the application be written in the "user" mode so the UAC prompt doesnt always launch when my Win7 starts up? Its been sort of bugging me.

Ive tried various workarounds like creating a task which calls the ET6 application in elevated mode so it doesnt prompt the UAC screen, but that doesnt always seem to work. Sometimes I notice TWO gui.exe apps running in Task Manager, sometimes it works fine.

Im just wondering why the EasyTune 6 has this prompt? I searched around and it seemed way back it was linked to earlier versions of bios, but Im on the F14k at the moment, almost latest one out. Im using the latest EasyTune6 which is the B10.1216.1 version.

I sort of need the app in that it helps control my 3000rpm based PWM fan. Its a pretty hardcore fan, and since the bios itself doesnt allow me to adjust PWM slope (unlike the higher end boards like UD7) I have no choice but to manually do it via ET6. The bios has hardcoded slope voltage for I believe like 1200-1500rpm or less fans. When you put a 3000rpm PWM fan, at idle it causes it to run about 1900rpm which is a bit on the loud side when Im just casually using the box. ET6 helps me fix that by allowing me to set the low and high end of the fan speeds based on CPU case temp (which also seems odd that its not tied to say more like CORE temp, but im fine with it regardless).

Any help on the UAC prompts would be nice. It would really be nice if the app was more say of a service based so would get these UAC prompts.

Dixit
    Last edited by Dixit; 01-18-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: corrected bios version
    EX58-UD4P Motherboard
    Core i7 920 Processor D0 stepping
    Patriot 6GB 1600mhz PVT36G1600LLK Memory
    Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler (push-pull fan)
    Zotac GTS250 1gb Video Overclocked
    Cooler Master CM690 Case with 6 Fans
    Corsair 750TX Power Supply
    1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Nagging UAC prompt when EasyTune6 launches at Win7 startup

You can disable it at startup, either by right clicking the tray icon and uncheck the "Always Run On Next Boot", or you can uncheck the startup services in this app (Startup CPL) or Spybot Search & Destroy (Tools/System Startup)

This app installs in Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/files/StartupCPL.zip

Or you can disable UAC, I've never seen it save anyone - have you?

X58A-UD7 does not have slope adjustments either, that is only included in the new P67 boards.

Maybe I wasnt clear in my post, sorry.

Im looking to not disable the app, as I mentioned I like the app and need it to control my PWM 3000rpm fan. Without it my fan at idle runs at like 1900rpm which sounds fairly loud for just browsing around or just casually using my computer. By disabling it, I cant use it basically.

I cant get Speedfan to work accurately, seems like there are way too many things in that app for me to just control the fan speed. So thats why I use ET6 case its simple yet effective way of controllin the PWM fan.

Disabling UAC, yea one could do that but that seems a bit extreme to me. Id wonder more why the ET6 is written so that a UAC prompt is not prompted to appear on startup, shouldnt it just run as user level or have the correct digital signature (which i believe is the other reason why UAC prompts show up). I cant exactly remember why the UAC prompt comes up for ET6.

Ive tried for awhile using the elevated task method by creating a task in task schedule to launch the ET6 as elevated mode, and then using that task to be called via the registry (instead of it calling the ET6 app itself). That works but many times it doesnt, i see GUI.exe running in task manager at times and it does nothing, so end up having to kill that process and relaunching the task to get the ET6 to run properly to control my fans.

As far as slope, sorry, I thought the higher end boards had them, I saw a bios shot of the slope adjustment on some EX58 board about 1yr ago. I remember asking if there was any chance of that getting ported into the UD4P boards. I really wish Gigabyte fixed the slope (because it was correct in F10 bios I believe) for these bios'es. But in the meantime ET6 is my bandaid.

Dixit
    Last edited by Dixit; 01-19-2011 at 12:26 AM. Reason: clarification
    EX58-UD4P Motherboard
    1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Well I just meant disable at startup is all, you could manually start it each time you turn the PC on, but then I guess that would still get you UAC prompted.

I'll see if I can find out something on this for you, I'd imagine if they could fix it they would have by now. Hopefully they have a known method to get around this for you.

Those older images you saw with slope were just test BIOSes for certain boards and only a few models. P67 has it though!

ET6SC.exe is what you should use for starting it via another method, maybe that will help you get your scheduled task going better?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-19-2011 at 12:28 AM.

You could also edit the properties of each of the Easytune exe files and give all accounts on each full control, that should stop it from asking.

It should be fixed for UD4P long ago, are you on the latest BIOS and latest Easytune? The file is digitally signed and is OK so that shouldn't be an issue.

OR!

Right-click on the program. Select Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab. At the bottom click "Change Properties for all users" then on the next window at the bottom check "Run as administrator".

You could also try manually dragging the start menu shortcut into the start menu program folder, sometimes this helps with certain things that have this issue.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-19-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Im using the latest B10.1216.1 version of the ET6. The Bios on my UD4P is F14k (as mentioned in my first post). Ive had this problem since day one, all the way back to F8, f10, f12 bios'es as well as almost every version of ET6 Ive tried (which I get from that one sticky post in this forum of the latest programs).

The file does show its digitally signed but still causes the UAC to prompt, let me see if I can show you a screenshot of it.

Dixit
    EX58-UD4P Motherboard
    1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

I believe you.

When you do your scheduled task, are you removing all other startup entries for it such as etcall.exe? Check in windows defender and any other startup managers you have, the only one that can be set to run is the one you schedule, then it should work every time as you set it in the schedule.

I'd suggest you start a ticket here, my contacts may be very busy right now and may not get back to me for a bit if I ask about this myself.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/support-down...l-support.aspx

Not trying to pass you off or anything, I just think tech support might get an answer to you quicker is all.

Is your windows genuine, and BIOS not edited or hacked, ect?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-19-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Well I dont know how this works now. But I decided to delete the task i created, remove the entry in registry, uninstall ET6, delete the directory in Program Files X86. reboot, come back in, just install ET6 and reboot.

And all the sudden the ET6 shows up in my system tray without any UAC prompts.

What I cant figure out now (because out of curiosity), How this ET6 is being started? I dont see anything anywhere in msconfig that shows whos calling it or how its being started, not in startup group, not in any registry entry (like HKLM, HKCU, etc), even used that CPL app that you mentioned above and see no signs of it, but its clearly being started each reboot without no UAC prompt (which is great).

I right click on the ET6 icon in system try and see it set to "Always run on next reboot" but I would think that would put some entry in the registry or startup folder somewhere. Very odd.

But regardless the damn thing works now! Thanks Lsdmeasap!

Dixit

PS. The windows is genuine, I bought a 3pack Home Premium license when it was released. The bios is straight from the sticky post on beta bios. I wish I could "hack" it to adjust the "slope" :) Hahahah.
    Last edited by Dixit; 01-19-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    EX58-UD4P Motherboard
    1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Awesome to see you got this sorted out!!

Now be sure to make a backup of the full system, and a restore point too, incase you ever have issues you can go back to then as a starting point.

EasytuneVI/ETCall.exe is added to the startup, you should find it with the above mentioned apps.

Thanks, I just asked about the windows because I know sometimes hacked versions of BIOSes or fixed windows otherwise will not work with Easytune.

So did some more digging around and I believe I found a fix/workaround that works for this issue. Seems like the builds on the ET6 are not consistent each time a new one comes out. I say this because the 1216 build put it in one area of the registry and the latest 1228 put it in a different area of the registry. By that I mean sometimes the key that gets inserted into the registry to auto start ETCall.exe into HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Run (for 64bit folks) or HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (for 32bit folks). Now when the key goes there to start ET6, it will cause a UAC prompt as soon as the program is called upon first logging into your Windows7 box.

Now what fixes this is if you simply move the key from the "Run" section to the "RunOnce" section, it doesnt show the UAC prompt, it just auto runs it like it should. That must mean UAC must not be looked at on the RunOnce section or something. So once again, just move the key from the Run section to the RunOnce section, here is the location to RunOnce for those not familiar.
    HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\RunOnce (for 64bit folks) or
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Once (for 32bit folks).

The key is calling this path "C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\ET6\ETCall.exe" if you are 64bit or "C:\Program Files\GIGABYTE\ET6\ETCall.exe" if you are 32bit.

Hope that helps any other folks that may be wondering.

Dixit
    Last edited by Dixit; 01-21-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    EX58-UD4P Motherboard
    1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information