Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: A few things I'm unclear on...

Default A few things I'm unclear on...

Hey, peeps.

Okay, after browsing through the links, I'm following miahallen's overclocking Clarkfield guide (he is a god). I have no idea what Clarkfield means...or Gulftown...or Lynnfield...yeah. So, I've assumed I have the "C" code and have been following it. Maybe I have the "B" code, too...who knows? Maybe I have them all!

Regarding Clarkfield, I've successfully passed Step 1 and Step 2 using most of the settings miahallen suggested, except overclocking my memory...maybe it is, maybe not. I have the timings set to the manufacturer's settings. For some reason, the CAS Latency is at 6 and it can't be changed.

I've attached a pic to get you in sync with what's going on.

Because I'm stuck on Step 3, I have my my bclock set at 216 (I add 1Mhz to help with latency, I guess) for the moment, but I can pass at 236 with IntelBurnTest-Max-16-threads, stable-wise, Step 1 and Step 2 (memtest, as well). I don't use ReadyTemp, because it doesn't make much sense to me. So I use AOD, CPU-Z, GPU-Z and ATT (I can't stand CCC because it sucks). AOD and ATT work very well for me probably because I have an AMD-based rig. There's a little Intel in it too, which I'm more than happy to acknowledge.

Back on track, yeah, Step 3. I have *no* idea what miahallen is stating when he suggested to raise the CPU clock ratio to x22. When I do that in the BIOS, my processor goes into the 4Ghz zone which I don't want to touch at stock cooling, even if my life depended on it.

LLC. I have no idea what this means. I've tried seeking it out in my BIOS, and I can't locate it. All I can do right now is assume it's either: a) Advanced Clock Calibratrion or b) a PLL (there's a couple in the sys. volt. settings). ACC is on Auto, with a 'Hybrid' Firmware selection. Normal or Hybrid...I'm currently using Hybrid since I have a BE processor. I don't know which setting is for the best.

miahallen goes on to suggest a Level 2...again, I don't know what this means. I read Bobnova's LLC investigation, and he recommends to leave it on Auto. I did discover in the BIOS there's a hidden menu when I hit Ctrl-F1: Advanced Chipset features: SB750 Spread Spectrum (currently disabled). Btw, my MB is rev 1.00.

I adjusted the Cpu Vcore to 1.2...down a notch or two from 1.3v. I'm not sure whether that's a good move or a boo-boo...

That's as far as I've gotten. Help me understand some more, please?

Also, I'm running a Raid 0 Array on 2 WD VCs (Enterprise Edition). Umm, Win 7 HP-64-bit. If you need any other info, lemme know!

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images A few things I'm unclear on...-diagram-jpg 
    IT Sparkles!

Default Re: A few things I'm unclear on...

Sorry for the AOD image. Here's a better one:

And, I have C1E disabled along with HPET, PME and Thermal Monitoring.. Where's EIST?
    Attached Images Attached Images A few things I'm unclear on...-aod-png 
    IT Sparkles!

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

They guide that you are reading that is stickied to the top of this forum is for Intel Processors. You have a AMD processor. There are a few AMD users here but it is mostly INTEL fan based here. Try looking for AMD Overclocking guides regarding your motherboard model. Maybe a AMD guy will see the post and will recommend something
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Hmm.

Well, the settings seem to be working quite well for me following the Clarkfield guide. Maybe because my MB can go either AMD or Intel?

From what I've researched, then and now, I believe the C guide has been very helpful. It makes sense, kinda, to me anyways...and to my computer from what I've noticed. Step 3 is where I get lost pretty much, but then I 'get' Step 3.5 totally. Though I've been sticking to where I'm at right now 'cause I don't like jumping the gun...

I'm sad I'm in the minority! Yeah, AMD has a few draw backs, but with my rig, I think I can go a round or three in the boxing ring with Intel.
    I guess I'll roam around the web. If anyone has a recommendation for a great aMdTiBcEfGx overclocking site, please feel free to post.
    IT Sparkles!

Thread Information