Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GIGABYTE GV-R587OC-1GD Video Playback

Default GIGABYTE GV-R587OC-1GD Video Playback

I just got this card a week ago and I submitted a support ticket at Gigabyte.com, but i'm sure I can get an answer here faster.

Last night I played Black ops and Bad Company 2 for several hours with no problems. Then as soon as I get off and play a YouTube clip or Gametrailer, my computer will completely freeze, screen will go black, and then everything comes back. I usually get a message telling me that the "Catalyst drivers have stopped responding and have recovered". Typically if I keep trying to watch a video it will freeze again or give me a blue screen.

From what I have read, the BIOS update for the Gigabyte GV-R587UD-1GD will fix these problems for THAT card. The only difference I can see between these cards is that mine has a core clock speed of 870MHz. Now... are these cards similar enough that I can just use that BIOS update to fix my card? There is no BIOS update for my card (GV-R587OC-1GD).

p.s. I just formatted and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. All drivers are up to date and I have the most recent Catalyst drivers. <!-- / message -->

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GIGABYTE GV-R587OC-1GD Video Playback

Do you have the latest flash and shockwave players installed, if not update those first.

I would not advise flashing the other BIOS onto the card, not sure if you can either. If you do try be sure you have a PCI or spare PCIE card so you can flash back the proper BIOS in case the flash fails.

And of course be sure you backup that original BIOS before you try anything too!

Yes, both shockwave and flash are up to date.

I still have not gotten an answer from Gigabyte. Getting tired of waiting so I may give it a try.

Say it does mess up the card. I do have two pci-e slots. I can just pop in my old card and just flash the 5870 back to the original BIOS?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well it normally takes them 3-5 days, depending on how busy they are.

Plus it's Chinese new year now, so there may not be many working support requests right now.

Yes, if the flash fails you can recover normally if you have another PCI or PCIE card. Since you asked you should do some reading on flashing and recovery before going ahead with anything.

Thread Information