Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P67A-UD4 Stability Problems

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: P67A-UD4 Stability Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    These CPU's don't need as much QPI/Vtt as the older ones, but like all other CPU's each is different. The one I have needs 1.2-1.24 for 2133Mhz, but 1866 or below is fine with Auto/1.05/1.08

124 BSOD is often Vcore on P67, not always but often, and since you have Turbo enabled that may be what's going on. Your CPU may be using a much higher Multi than 45 on some cores at certain times, causing the vcore to not be enough.

So I would test one or both of these things. Either more Vcore, or Disable turbo / set all cores to 45 max.
    But what I don't understand is that the cpu completed a 14+ hour run on Small FFTs, suggesting that the CPU is stable at 4.5GHz at the vcore I gave it. It just seems when it has to deal with larger data sets, that stress the RAM, is when it has problems.

I was always under the impression that QPI/VTT had more to do with the IMC. But again, that's past experience and as you say things are different with SB. Even though the cpu seems to run fine at 45x at the given vcore with small data sets doesn't mean more vcore won't be needed to run larger data sets. I can see that.

Note that Turbo is NOT enabled. I'm already hard locking the x45 multi. I am using Turbo performance enhance (the default), but I know that's not what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    It's a 4x2GB setup so maybe it does need more VTT.
    Ya, that very well could be a factor too, these CPU's are so new though it's hard to day.

I was testing 8GB and didn't need anymore QPI/Vtt than I did with 4GB, but it all depends on the CPU.
    The setup still didn't perform right with 2x2GB. Before I popped in the second set of dimms I never did any large data set testing with 2x2GB. I figured RAM would be the least of my worries with SB. It was never an issue with my X58 setups. Seems I was mistaken.

To test the theory that this board just doesn't like the dimms I originally bought, I purchased some 2x4GB G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL to test with. These dimms are on the QVL list for the board... so we'll see how this goes.

CPU PLL option enabled, with your x47 multi I mean?
    Trying to find max multi with no PLL Overvoltage to use not only beta bioses. x47 is the max booting the bios but always idle crash in windows no matter what. x48 can't pass bios. x46 is the max with no any problems. Using that one for now.
    x47 seems to be the optimal 24/7 multi for my cooling setup but I can't get it stable.
    Hope future bioses will get me there.

Ya 124 is often Vtt with older chipsets. Sometimes Vtt on P67 too, but I find it to be Vcore most of the time.

124 is always Vcore for me. I think I know for sure now what's my stability problem is. I can reproduce the BSOD any time. Read from post# 872 down:
    ***Official*** P67A-UD7 Club/Discussion/Info!**

Well... the new dimms didn't do it either. Setup ran for two days straight, 100% load and then BSOD 124. At this point I haven't been able to find a stress test that brings out the issue quickly... so I'm going to continue running FAH and tweak on voltages till I find what the problem is. Raised the CPU PLL to 1.84v and start Folding again. I've also been toying with the idea of pulling off the cooler to check the socket pins... never know if the issues may be being caused by some socket burn.

I just really can't believe it can run for two days (or even 12 hours) and then just blow chunks like that (BSOD 124). I've never had such a BSOD happy box. Seems more likely that it is something other than vcore that is the issue, especially when I can drop the cpu multi 1 or 2 and still end up with the same result. In other words, if it can run for two days at 45x with the vcore its given but BSOD, then dropping to 44x or 43x should get me in the safe range.

Fact of the matter is, this board isn't going anywhere near one of my cases since it will be replaced in a couple months. So if it doesn't ever get 100% stable then no big deal... will have to start all other with the new board anyway.

Is it running 100% loaded all the time?
    If you are not running fixed Vcore and the load drops under let say 50%, the Vcore drops more and here it is your BSOD. Explains perfectly the BSODs after dropping the multi - dropping the multi drops the Vcore automatically too. That's what SVID do if you are not running fixed Vcore.
    That's exactly what my problem is.
    Last edited by nijel; 02-08-2011 at 12:00 PM.

There isn't any socket burn with P67, that was an isolated incident!

Did you test more Vcore yet?

Quote Originally Posted by nijel View Post
    Is it running 100% loaded all the time?
    If you are not running fixed Vcore and the load drops under let say 50%, the Vcore drops more and here it is your BSOD. Explains perfectly the BSODs after dropping the multi - dropping the multi drops the Vcore automatically too. That's what SVID do if you are not running fixed Vcore.
    That's exactly what my problem is.
    Yes... loaded all the time. Multi and vcore are both fixed. No Turbo Boost, C states all disabled.

There isn't any socket burn with P67, that was an isolated incident!

Did you test more Vcore yet?
    No... I'm not going above 1.35v. Just blows my mind that 43x isn't any more stable than 45x at 1.35v yet I can boot into Windows reliably at the 48x multi... same vcore. That's a heck of swing.

Tried Standard performance setting for the memory... ran for over two days... then BSOD 124. Tried dropping back to 1333MHz on the memory with Auto timings (1T). I was actually getting better performance out of FAH than I was at 1600MHz (XMP - 2T)... go figure. However, that didn't get it either.

I've dropped all the way back to the 40x multi and am letting it run again... been going for a day and a half... we'll see...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information