Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7: Will this SATA issue affect me?

Default Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7: Will this SATA issue affect me?

Right now some of you may have heard that Intel's 1155 boards have a SATA issue that will cause degradation over time. I assume this will affect Gigabyte's P67 boards as well right? Right now I'm using these connectors shown at the picture below. Shall I withdraw from using the motherboard? And what will Gigabyte do about this issue?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    Intel Core i7 3930K | 32GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | Corsair AX1200 watt Power Supply | 20x LG SATA DVD+/- RW | LG BluRay/HD DVD Combo Drive| Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers | 42" Toshiba 42XL700a at 1920x1080 1080p | Asrock X79 Fatal1ty Champion | Coolermaster HAF X | 1x OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 1x 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive | 1x 2TB Western Digital Hard Drive | Windows 7 x64 Ultimate RTM

Default Re: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7: Will this SATA issue affect me?

Hi!
    I am a long time reader of Tweaktown forums, but first registred today. I am also curious about this, although I have not noticed anything so far. I am running 2 ssd's, and 4 regular drives, as raid arrays at my GA-P67A-UD5, so my S-ata is pretty crammed up. I think Gigabyte, and other Vendors/brands, should go out to their customers, with info, on how we should act, and what to do. Since Intel has gone out public on all major hardware sites around the internet, ther are bound to be concerned people out there. So this is a hint to Gigabyte. Make a thread, sticky whatever, with info.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I have not heard what they plan to do, but I'm sure there will be an official announcement after the Chinese New Year.

This is a Intel Design flaw guys, nothing Gigabyte can do to fix it really except a recall or RMA of affected models I believe.

Hang tight, I'm sure we will know something in a week or two.

yes all P67/H67 boards are effected.

I have seen any response from any Board maker yet, I expect they are in a queue with Intel right now working out the fine details of how many millions units can be recalled.

I expec tthe cost of all this is going to be needed to be worked out initially as the Board makers are not going to like to foot the bill and Intel are going to want to keep it to a min, and th eend user is not goign to want to even pay the postage let alone any repairs, I my self have the UD7 and at the price of that board I want flawless operation from a top of the range board nto some thing that will fail on me over time.

In any case I expect the process to be with yoru reseller you ordered it from and not with Gigabyte directly.

For some that might get tricky if they refuse to RMA the board and cover the cost of doing so.
    Corsair Obsidian Series™ 800D
    GA-P67A-UD7 (F7e) , Core i7-2600K @ 5GHz
    XSPC Rasa Black Block
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 1866
    HIS 5970 + Razor 5970 Water-Block
    OCZ 120GB Vertex 2E SSD
    Black Ice® GTX360 + XSPC RX120
    XSPC Dual 5.25” Reservoir + Laing DDC's
    NZXT Sentry SE and Windows 7 X64

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I have not heard what they plan to do, but I'm sure there will be an official announcement after the Chinese New Year.

This is a Intel Design flaw guys, nothing Gigabyte can do to fix it really except a recall or RMA of affected models I believe.

Hang tight, I'm sure we will know something in a week or two.
    Hi
    Thanx for quick respons. You are off course right, this is not a gigabyte issue, and so not their fault. I am sure they will go out with info as soon as they can. Luckily the motherboards, seem to be working perfectly so far. The guys at Anandtech have looked into it a little bit, and it seems the problem is related to the S-ata 3 (6Gb/s) ports only, so perhaps one should stay away from using them, for the time being.

EDIT: Wrong info. It is not S-ata 3 (6Gb/s) that are affected, but rather S-ata 2 (3Gb/s).
    Last edited by 220Volt; 02-01-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Wrong info in text
    Corsair Obsidian 800D | Gigabyte Ga-P67A-UD5 | Intel i7 2600K @ 5,2GHz | Corsair XMS3 1600c7 @ 1866c8 4sticks 8GB | Corsair HX1000 | 2x Intel g2 Postville 80GB raid 0 | 4x WD caviar 500GB AAKS raid 0 | 2x Ati Radeon HD5870 Crossfire | Custom Watercooling | http://i51.tinypic.com/2rxzpg1.jpg | http://i53.tinypic.com/11tls1w.jpg

I'm have not ran into any issues using 6GB/s ports.

This issue probably wont affect any of these boards until years from now anyway, by that time we'll all be using x89/p97 chipset anyway or something like that.

Have a link to Anand's testing/thoughts, or what what you commented on done by members?

I'm have not ran into any issues using 6GB/s ports.

This issue probably wont affect any of these boards until years from now anyway, by that time we'll all be using x89/p97 chipset anyway or something like that.

Have a link to Anand's testing/thoughts, or what what you commented on done by members?
    Yes, its true, This probably will not affect us for a long time. It might be though, that some are running this, and have data stored they do not want to loose, and could experience failure. But then again, you should always back up! Here's a link to Anands thoughts on the matter : Intel Discovers Bug in 6-Series Chipset: Our Analysis - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
    Hopefully Intel takes a lesson, so Ivy Bridge vill run flawless. I see its The other way around, its the S-ata2 (3Gb/s) ports that are affected, and not S-ata3 (6Gb/s). I was wrong. :(
    Last edited by 220Volt; 02-01-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    Corsair Obsidian 800D | Gigabyte Ga-P67A-UD5 | Intel i7 2600K @ 5,2GHz | Corsair XMS3 1600c7 @ 1866c8 4sticks 8GB | Corsair HX1000 | 2x Intel g2 Postville 80GB raid 0 | 4x WD caviar 500GB AAKS raid 0 | 2x Ati Radeon HD5870 Crossfire | Custom Watercooling | http://i51.tinypic.com/2rxzpg1.jpg | http://i53.tinypic.com/11tls1w.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 220Volt View Post
    Hi
    Thanx for quick respons. You are off course right, this is not a gigabyte issue, and so not their fault. I am sure they will go out with info as soon as they can. Luckily the motherboards, seem to be working perfectly so far. The guys at Anandtech have looked into it a little bit, and it seems the problem is related to the S-ata 3 (6Gb/s) ports only, so perhaps one should stay away from using them, for the time being.
    Anand says Intel said 3Gb/s ports only, not 6Gb/s, link above

Anand says Intel said 3Gb/s ports only, not 6Gb/s, link above
    Yes indeed, i got it backwards. S-ata2 S-ata3 (3Gb/s) (6Gb/s). But then again who wouldn't... :) So one should run from usb sticks to be sure. linux FTW. ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information