Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MA770T UD3P and BE550 kinda slow

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: MA770T UD3P and BE550 kinda slow

So new hard drive was OK eh? Can you test a clean install on it just to see if that is ok, don't load any drivers or programs yet either, just windows.

Yes, I did set the 1T to 2T and this didn`t help at all. Thanks for suggesting though, I mean eventually with enough time and $$ I WILL fix something! LOL

Anyway, here is ATTO..........

Drive C
    Force write access....No
    Direct I/O..........Yes
    Transfer size............0.5 to 8192
    Total Length.......256 MB
    Overlapped I/O.........Yes

Controlled by .........blank
    Description.............blank

Write Read
    0.5 6843 4620

1.0 13466 11746

2.0 28160 26425

4.0 57933 49029

8.0 69156 72527

16 71206 77460

32 72754 80475

64 78397 82056

128 77124 81532

256 77570 80757

512 77920 80732

1024 79067 80854

2048 79418 82468

4096 77470 80732

8192 75722 81344

MAXXMEM

AMD Phenom II X4 B50, 3114Mhz [NB 2009 Mhz]

Windows XP Professional SP2 32 bit Desktop System

DDR3 669 (1338 Mhz); Dual Unganged-Channel 8-8-8-21-2T Then it has a number starting with 40 but couldn`t expand MAXXMEM to see.

Benched in 00h 00m 31s 756ms 334micro-seconds

Displayed in 00h 00m 00s 052ms 414micro-seconds

Memory copy 11083Mb/sec

Memory read 8080Mb/sec

Memory write 6713Mb/sec

Reached Memory Score 7.4GBs

Memory Latency 74.4 Ns

Reached Memory Score 74.4Ns

I have never used benchmarking tools except as curiosity so could you tell me if all is okay or not? I am going to test the power supply tomorrow after a trip the electronics store for a tester. Okay, I will try the new OS tomorrow night after testing power. Thanks again you ya`lls help. It is certainly welcome.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Disk performence look OK so is RAM. The number that begin with 40 in MaxxMEM is just the amount of memory, 4069MB.

You said you have 3 hard drives, try to boot with only the OS drive, unplug optical drive too and any USB devices you have connected if any. But if it's the OS drive itself try the new OS on another one.

Graphics card shoud be powerfull enough, unless there is a problem with the card or the driver. My mother has a P4 2.4GHz with GMA 900 or 950 with XP and it works just fine.

What is the CPU stepping, BIOS version and board revision? The first 2 are shown in CPU-Z CPU and Motherboard tabs, the board revision is printed in the corner above the far PCI slot I/O panel side.

Board is Rev. 1.1 and BIOS is F10. Stepping is 2. I was using F6 but during the time I was having trouble earlier I changed to F10 hoping that would help. It`s funny, when I make a change, like unplugging, then plugging back in my hard drives, or taking out and reinstalling the CPU (once), or the memory, it helps for a while then slows down. The one time I liked it best, I had all the componets I have now. Like I mentioned earlier though, it only lasted 15-20 minutes. The slow down is like you can watch the window being created. Sometimes the Start Menu even takes it`s sweet time. I would think it could be a virus except my OS drive is split into 4 partitions and on one of the other partitions I installed Windows and only got on line to register. That was it. Then I Ghosted the image to keep in case I get a virus I won`t have to start over again. Okay, I will unplug everything except the OS drive (I have replaced the Optical drive without seeing a change in performance. The old one was junk). I have a USB keyboard and mouse. Maybe I will even try using the old-fashioned ones. And I am going to put OS on the new drive to test that theory. Will reply soon. Thanks Chike.

I think test a new graphics card, or even an older one you have sitting around maybe.

I think I know what you mean, like the window is slow being created or made, like it appears/goes up slowly right?

If you cannot test another card, try removing your graphics driver and see if the windows default one acts the same too (If so it's the card I think)

USB mouase should not be a problem, nor the USB keyboard but if you have a USB to PS/2 adapter you can try to pluch is to the PS/2 keyboard port.
    I am leaning towards the graphic card too but sometime defective drives or conflicts may cause the same behavior.

Okay, I installed XP Pro on a hard drive that up until then had nothing on it. I did not install any drivers. Performance is okay but the desktop came up and the taskbar was being built, it was very slow. First came the blue bar then the start button, then the one at the right side whatever that is called, where it reminds you to register. It wasn`t like molasses or anything but I would have expected it to just appear instead of watching it being built. And Lsdmeasap your description is on the nose. That is exactly what it is like. I was going to buy another graphics card last summer but I didn`t want to start just replacing parts willy-nilly. Also, would the graphics card cause random reboots and make the Windows splash screen slow to a crawl. I mean not because of any changes it is making but maybe the driver or it is making an interrupt request that can`t be honored? Anyway, that is it right now. I`m glad you guys are suspicious of my graphics card too. Originally, I had used the driver that came with the card and later in an attempt to make an improvement, I went to AMD website and got a newer driver that was advertised as being for the 4350 card and tried it but I don`t think it helped so I went back to the factory driver. At least it does narrow down a good starting point. There are quite a few good reviews for the graphics card but who knows maybe I got a dud and it isn`t terribly expensive. I going to buy a better one if you guys still agree that it might be the card. I just surf, watch movies, a little light number crunching with a program that uses fortran and of course a spreadsheet and Vizio etc. So if you have a recommendation for something under or around 125 bucks I`m listening.

Another question, XP SP2 has the HAL thing. Have you ever heard anyone definitively declare HAL as something that would slow down a machine. Personally, I don`t like XP deciding which IRQ my accessories use but I guess we`re stuck with it. I thought maybe HAL has it`s own idiosynchrosies.

I tested my power supply and it shows to be good on all voltages but the PG reading is 470ms. Is 470 okay? The literature that came with the tester says anything up to 990ms is okay but the picture of the tester I bought shows a situation that has a PG of 260ms so that I assume less is better. The power supply is 650 watts Antec "Earthwatts". Everything else was on the money except for two readings (I forget which) that were 0.1 volt low. I don`t think that is too bad given the range limits that came with the tester.

Well with no drivers XP will be slow to draw the screen as well, but it shouldn't be anything like you were experiencing, that was what I wanted you to check.

Now, on the clean install try installing the latest graphic driver and see if the response is the same, if so I think it's time for a new graphics card.

Maybe look at cheap used 3850/3870/4850 on ebay, those would be good cheap cards for what you mention.

I have never heard of HAL slowing anything down, only issues were people could not boot windows due to it missing or corrupt (Stuff like that)

Not sure about the power good rating on testers, I can test my supplies and tell you what they give? And can also tell you what the documentation with mine says, in case it's a different one than yours.

If you want me to do that let me know.

Okay Guys:

I installed the drivers for the graphics card on the new hard drive with a practically virgin XP Pro SP2 (except for activating) and got pretty much the same result I`ve been getting Task bar put together a piece at a time. So I guess it is time to shop for a new card. I think my PS is probably good from testing it Lsdmeasap but thanks for offering to check your numbers. It might be a few days before I get back and post results but I will keep ya`ll updated so anyone else with this problem might have some value in this thread. I`m kinda sad about the card. I should have sent it back when it was still in warranty but you know how it is, the machine acts up and it is very difficult for a non-expert to pin down what is wrong. Anyway, Thanks and I`ll let you guys know how it turns out.

You should be able to RMA the card or the board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information