Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-P67A-UD4 - USB2 ports not working with Win XP

Default GA-P67A-UD4 - USB2 ports not working with Win XP

Hi,

I have a strange problem with USB2 ports not working on a P67A-UD4 - but
    only for windows XP.

a) I have a triple boot setup - Fedora 14, Windows 7 and windows XP Pro.
    (Had this setup working fine on a previous gigabyte motherboard with the c2d E8400).

b) Currently, Fedora 14 and Windows 7 work perfectly. PS/2 and USB2 ports for keyboard/mouse

c) Bios is set to default settings. Legacy usb is enabled. Bios is F6.

c) When installing XP Pro (SP2) - the install hang at the "34 minutes to go" stage.
    Debugged that and found it was failing on the usb driver. Deleted this and kept on.
    I figured that when I installed that SP3, that it would (hopefully) update/fix
    this missing driver.

Installed the drivers for the motherboard, lan/audio/usb3, etc. So now, USB3 works. I
    can connect mouse, etc in XP to those ports and it works - but none of the USB2 ports
    are working.

Does gigabyte have specific USB2 drivers for this motherboard. If you go to the gigabyte site, there
    are the drivers for lan/audio/usb3 - but none for usb2 ?

You would think the obvious answer is to connect keyboard to PS/2 and mouse to USB3 - but
    Fedora doesn't find the mouse. (Must have a look in xorg.conf to see if this can be setup)

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
    johne

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-P67A-UD4 - USB2 ports not working with Win XP

Very hard to say if that can be fixed since you removed it from the windows installer?

I would first try installing the latest Intel INF Chipset drivers, that should fix it unless what you removed is required
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...?ProductID=816

If that fails to fix it after and install and reboot, then get a normal XP install CD ready that has not been modified (Still has the USB drivers you removed) and then run the following in a cmd prompt.

Open Cmd prompt by pressing windows key + R or Run then cmd.

Then type the following, space is required. Then when/if asked insert the unmodified XP install disk.

SFC /scannow

This all only applied to windows, not sure what you can do about your other OS, but that other OS should not be affected anyway since the XP install is what you removed the USB from.

Hi,

Thanks for your help. All ok now. Here is what worked and what didn't.

a) Remember the reason this problem happened was that Win XP (32bit) will
    not installed directly on the m/b.

It hangs at the "34 minutes to go" stage of the installation.

If you restart and log back in and analyze the log files, the USB subsystem (usbport.inf) looks like the culprit. By removing that file and continuing, WIN XP will at least install.

I don't see how you can install without doing this ?

b) SFC /scannow ran and didn't complain about anything.

c) The intel INF chipset drivers initially would not run at all. Later I did
    get them to install something. Not sure how much they contributed to the solution.

What I did was.....

a) Deleted the non-working devices from the device manager and rebooted.

b) The system detected the devices. I installed the gigabyte m/b driver disk and
    the system scanned the disk for a driver.

I think there are 3 options on the disk OEM13.inf, ALL/cougar.inf and win7/cougar.inf.

I think I had previously tried the obvious ones - the first 2. This time I chose win7
    (for win xp ?!?) and it installed the two USB enhanced host controllers were found.

c) However, the ports still didn't work. I noticed that for usb3 there is a host controller
    and a root hub. I did not have any root hubs. There were a couple of undefined devices
    in the device manager tree (yellow triangles) which turned out to be the "generic USB hub" and "USB Root hub".

d) I put in the XP disk for the drivers and the system could not find them. So I tried
    again using the advanced/manual version. At least it then tells you which files
    it is looking for. The two files where usbhub.inf and usbd.sys. Both these files
    were already on the hard disk \windows\servicepackfiles\i386 and \windows\system32\drivers.

At this point the usb came alive and it found the mouse I had plugged into the usb2 port.

Thanks,
    johne

Thanks for the reminder, sorry I forgot!

I have not tested XP install on this board yet, but I will this weekend to see if I run into the same issue. I have seen a few using XP on these boards though, and no mention of any similar issues, so maybe your install media?

I'll let you know how my test setup goes.

Nice to see you were able to figure out how to get it all working!

Hey, I actually just remembered I have tested XP on these boards and didn't have any issues with USB.

I actually did the install via USB too! I'm reinstalling it as a test now via USB to be sure, then another via CD just to be double sure.

I'll let ya know how that goes.

*Edit*

I was just thinking about this and may know why you had issues? Is the XP install disk you are using Pre-SP1, or maybe even SP2 fails too - not sure?

I always use an SP3 install disk, so that may be why it works fine for me? I'm testing two installs now, but it will be with XP SP3 media.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-07-2011 at 12:48 PM.

OK, tested again and all was fine, no issues installing from USB or CD!

This is right after install, no chipset or other drivers have been installed yet (hence the odd look/resolution and no SM Bus driver)

So it's either your XP install media, or you need to use SP3 install media?

Hi,

The media I have is XP Pro SP2. Perhaps you do need the SP3 media to make it
    work. I install the SP3 from an upgrade executable file after the system is running.

In looking at your screen-shots, I see the UD7 has a whole swag of USB3. On the UD4,
    the USB3 (2 ports) are supplied by Renesas. Your board does not have appear to have this specific h/w. (They come on gigabyte cd for me). Just speculating (clutching at straws) that the different h/w could be an issue.

GA-P67A-UD4 - USB2 ports not working with Win XP-devman-gif

One other oddity. As you know, when you do an XP install, the (considerable)
    first part of the install is basically text. Then it swaps to VGA graphics
    just before doing the drivers. At this point it is a "graphics" environment.

I did find that the mouse WORKED for about 20 seconds while the first part
    of the drivers were loaded and then it froze. So the USB drivers on the media
    DID work with the USB. It was the then the installer that failed to "load" the
    drivers into the installation.

Anyway, I don't think gigabyte are going to be too worried about an avalanche
    of complaining XP users.

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't even think about the UD4 and UD7 differences! I tested on UD7 because that is what I had setup at the time.

I'll retest on UD4, and use SP2 install disk this time, then we'll know for sure if it's unique to UD4 or not.

If it fails, then I'll retest with SP3 and see if that is indeed what allows it to work.

Thread Information