Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to HD 5770 has made my X58A UD3R more unstable...Help

Default Re: Upgrading to HD 5770 has made my X58A UD3R more unstable...Help

@wazza300

Ai, no. Increasing VDimm to 1.62V had no noticeable impact on the time it took for the Gigabyte logo screen to appear from cold boot. So, I returned setting back to 1.6, as rated. Once again, turning system off. Waiting a minute or 2. Then restarting still dramatically cuts the time before the logo appears. At this point, I think I can endure the longer wait from cold boot. I am still concerned that powering on the system from off state, regardless of the time length of the off state, enters the BIOS into the power "testing?" state. But if memtest continues to pass the system as stable with the QPI PLL and IOH VCore elevated above default, then I will proceed under the assumption that the system has indeed become stable.

@lsdmeasap

I am using Firefox. Your undo suggestion does work. Interesting trick! :)

@lsdmeasap

So far, I can only confirm that QPI PLL and IOH VCore at 1.38V does make my system stable. I just woke up, actually. And I am now testing with settings at 1.16V. So far, memtest sees no problems. Unfortunately, this current test is tainted by the fact that I actually lowered the VDimm back to 1.6 before starting memtest. In other words, this test is not a true reflection of the performance of the BIOS from true cold boot. I will have to turn the system off after the test for several more hours before I can confirm stability, should memtest pass the system at 1.16V.

I think I am going to keep QPI PLL and IOH Core values the same. If memtest passes the system at 1.16, do you think I should still raise the settings to 1.2, which seems likely to also be a stable setting. But would it make it more stable, though? I see from googling that raising these values do allow for higher overclocks, in general.

OMG!

Even though memtest passed 1.16 from warmed-up boot, it immediately failed the system from cold boot!

Ok. Now, I am going to test at 1.26. At least I take comfort in knowing that the system can do 1.38 at least some of the times, and perhaps all the time.

Oh, man. I can't believe I already have over a hundred posts on this forum! o__0;

And I'm still going to need more help putting my even more finicky i7 950 X58A UD3R rev 2.0 system together!!!

XD I think this is less a matter of my willingness to contribute than the fact that my ram and board don't like each other even if they ultimately work well together.

To be honest, I don't know if I want to buy another Gigabyte board...but I know the grass isn't greener on the other side! >:D

So, it turns out that 1.26V is stable. Probably. I am going to cold boot start after 5 hours off this time. But this really is not an ideal point to end my BIOS tweaking. When cold booting, instead of the usual single short beep, I get a long klaxon warning blare, which previously meant that I was booting into a corruptible system. Now, it means...nothing. It means nothing because I apparently can boot into a stable system despite the warning. And that's not only confusing, it's a bit unnerving. The other sure sign that I was booting into a corruptible system is the soft power cycling before the logo screen appears. Again, this no longer means that I am booting into an unstable system.

Maybe it is my expectation that is off because of my frustrating experience. Maybe this soft cycling and klaxon is actually normal behavior as designed by Intel and the BIOS maker. Maybe a single short beep I'm so used to is not necessarily the only signal to expect when starting up a system.

What I want to know now is what other V settings can I set to manual. There are PCIE, ICH I/O, and a bunch of memory Vs. left.

Please help. ^__^;

Well. I think I am more sure of the point than ever. The blaring noise boot makes is sign of instability. And I think soft power cycling means the same.

1.26 was not stable after 5 hours. And 1.38 may not be either, although it was stable after 2 hours.

I am thinking that 8 and half gigs of hdd split between 6 drives plus optical drive may be taxing the psu. Plus, a number of USB ports may mean more Vs for ICH. I don't know. My suggestion didn't help rackers...

Instead of testing cold boots.=, I'll try to see whether I can find a BIOS setting that will power on from off state without the warning noise and the power cycling.

This is a disaster for my productivity. :(

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So all this because of new GFX card, are you sure? Can you put back the old to verify?

I've ran 2400Mhz + stable with only 1.14 IOH and CAS 5 @ 1600 with the same, you shouldn't need much more than stock really. I even think I've tested 12GB mixed with that as well.

ICH I always leave at 1.14 too but I generally only use 3-5 drives plus optical but that's about the same as you mention.

I am going to replace with my old card. The only problem with the old card is that the fan no longer works. But even if the temps are twice as high as it should be without the fan running, it an still boot into Windows fine.

Also, I made an error in one of my notes above. The IOH and QPI PLL do not share the same increments. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm just making notes here.

I told rackers that the only time I saw the failed to overclock error message in BIOS was when the cooler was not installed right. Well, the cooler, I assume is installed alright this time, but I got my first instance of it anyway when I cold booted from 8 hours off.

I returned by BIOS to the old stable overclock values.

I got the old card back in. I used my finger to manually spin the fan for about a minute before the fan could spin on its own. Something about the fan feels very "gunky" inside. I can tell the problem is mechanical and not electrical. The fan wants to spin. Something inside won't let it.

The pc booted without the klaxon. But I did get the 3 hdd "tick" noises, each with a blink of the hdd LED, that previously meant that something was not stable. Can't be certain about whether this would happen again with the old card until I cold boot.

The normal process should be:
    (1) pc powers on
    (2) there is just one tick of hdd and the hdd LED should be on for more than just a second.
    (3) the BIOS should make one short clear beep
    (4) logo should appear.

It should be something like this.

Memtest is at the half way mark of this warmed up boot test. But it shows no errors so far. The HD 5770 also had no problems with the warmed up boot test with the old BIOS settings. This was never the issue. In fact, I know it's the best card I've ever had. I don't play a lot of games. I usually play little games, like Solitaire, Crayon Physics, Machinarium. The one graphically intense game I normally play is Civ IV. I got The Witchers free with the old card. But it was unplayable with the old card. Now I can actually play it. I checked out the first couple of events. The story is pretty interesting. I was looking to buy Starcraft 2, but I didn't want to buy it for $40-50 at this time, since I don't even have a lot of time right now to play games anyway. :p So, I bought Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 because of this card. I was surprised to discover how cheaply they sell these games. The games are beautiful! After playing as the standard male Shepard for a while, I saw on Youtube that you could make Shepard look like a hot girl. So, I... Anyway, the card runs and overclocks really well. Unfortunately, I had less than 2 days to check out my games.

Booting from warmed up state is not the problem. It is the cold boot that corrupts my drives. 2 days ago, my brother watched a dvd on my system after cold booting. That was more than enough to destroy data in the OS drive. Now, I need to reformat and reinstall Windows. Again. For the 2nd time in a week. ^^;

Of course, one imperfect solution would be, when cold booting, to enter BIOS, shut down, and then restart. The probability of normal boot up would be much higher following this procedure. But it may not be fool-proof. And if someone unaware of the situation booted up, then that could lead to catastrophe for my data.

Hmm. Looks like Memtest is less than 5 minutes from completing its first pass. It's on the last 2 gigs of ram of the last test. From experience, I can tell that the system is going to pass. Now I need to cold boot it. If the triple hdd tick and LED blink returns, then that would mean something has indeed changed or gone wrong somewhere since I swapped the old card for the new.

Can you test the 5770 in another pc? To make sure its not faulty,as for power is bet it used less power than your old gpu,their very power efficient
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Wazza300

Alright. I have 3 desktops. Fortunately, I have one that actually works. :p What I am going to do is uninstall the ATI driver on this box. Run Driver Sweeper. Exchange cards. Install the new AMD driver. And see what happens.

ok. I have more confirmation that the HD 5770 is not the problem. The RX 2600Pro failed the cold boot. Right now, the HD 5770 system is being tested in Memtest. It'll take another hour and half on the system to finish. If it passes, then I think I can rule out the HD 5770 as the cause.

So, increasingly, it seems the problem has to do with the cpu-ram-mobo triumvirate. And I have two sets of these. ^^;

I am using the corrupted system right now in safe mode. And I was able to boot into it by warmed up boot process. It seems to be running fine, but I don't trust its stability.

I am still hoping that this issue can be fixed through the BIOS. If I can't, then that would mean that I would have to replace some expensive parts that otherwise would be functioning fine.

I am now out of ideas. :(

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information