Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to HD 5770 has made my X58A UD3R more unstable...Help

Default Upgrading to HD 5770 has made my X58A UD3R more unstable...Help

And I just reformatted and reinstalled everything, too. :(

BACKGROUND (Can skip):

Last week, I decided to upgrade to an HD 5770 from an X2600Pro because the fan on the old card died. But some kind of incredibly unusual bug triggered by one very specific circumstance which made the OS permanently refuse to load the AMD display driver for any and just those particular Windows user profiles that satisfied the particular condition for the trigger forced me to reformat and reinstall everything over the last two days.

I got the software part to be completely stable. But I knew something was not completely stable on the hardware side. With the new display card installed, the boot up process resembled past experiences that inevitably led to memory corruption. The system seems to test for the proper Vs for AUTO settings before the Gigabyte logo appears. I have two of these X58A UD3R rev 2.0s and they both have been more finicky than I thought possible I still have not been able to put together one of them because it is at another location I will not be able to visit for maybe another few days to a week. That system will require me to ask for help on this board, too. ^^;

At any rate, what happened on this instance is that I was able to satisfy the stability of my hardware in all but one instance: I needed to make sure that the system could boot without memory corruption after the power had been off for several hours. But last night, my brother visited and he wanted to watch a dvd on my system. When he powered on, I heard the familiar warning indication that the system was not completely stable and told him to hit the delete key. He didn't know where it was. So I let him watch the dvd anyway because he's ill and he has to go to the hospital tomorrow for a painful procedure and he hasn't eaten anything for a day.

Afterward, I realized that the system was behaving abnormally. Memtest was red all over the place. I think I may need to reinstall Windows.

THE PROBLEM:

So here's what is going on. With the X2600PRo, my system was solid. But with the HD 5770 with the added PCI-E power connection, my system is no longer fully stable. The familiar warning sign of the BIOS's AUTO power testing happens anytime I turn on the system from off-state now. I know from experience that when the system is fully stable, the BIOS will do no such thing. But the problem of memory corruption only shows up when I power on the system after it has been powered off for at least several hours. RESET behavior is interesting. If the system originally booted with the wrong Vs, then the system will continue to restart with the wrongs Vs. But if the system boots up with the right Vs, then the system will continue to restart with the right Vs. This has never not happened on this system.

I think the reason why the system tends to start with the wrong AUTO Vs under the one situation is related to temperature. I think it gets fooled by the cold.

Since my brother watched a dvd on my system and, thus, the system was warmed up when I realized memory corruption was occurring, it was a simple matter of turning the system off and then turning it on again to restore hardware stability. Memtest has found no errors after two passes so far.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW/WHAT I THINK THE SOLUTION MAY BE:

My hunch is that I could probably stabilize my system if I could tell BIOS the specific V or frequency to feed the PCI-E. But I have no experience of setting this V. Right now, it is set to AUTO. Last night, I learned that this is not acceptable to the system.

So, how should I be looking at Vs and frequencies regarding the PCI-E?

Also, after I flashed my BIOS and loaded optimized settings, I saw two Vs change.
    CPU Clock Drive...800mV
    PCI-E Clock Drive...900mV

Is this the normal value?

Thank you for your help. :)

Also, please note, do not, please, advise me to raise QPI/VTT from 1.34V just because I am running 6x2GB at 9-9-9-24 1600. Raising the QPI/VTT has absolutely no impact on the stability of my 2 systems. I have tested this out for weeks. The combination of i7 930/950 overclocked to 3.8GHz (see below for BIOS details), this board, and this Corsair kit seem most happiest at 1.34V. If the system is unstable, raising QPI/VTT up to 1.5V will not make it stable. And when the system is stable at 1.34V, it will not become unstable. Only lowering QPI/VTT guarantees instability.

THE SYSTEM:

Intel i7 930
    Scythe Mugen II<--I will never buy this cooler again. ^^;
    GA X58A UD3R rev 2.0

Corsair HX3X12G1600C9 G
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 12GB &#40;6 x 2GB&#41; 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 &#40;PC3 12800&#41; Desktop Memory Model HX3X12G1600C9 G

HIS HD 5770 IceQ 5 (not the Turbo)
    Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter
    PC Power&Cooling 750 Silencer

Scythe KQ01-BK 3.5 Kaze Q Fan Controller
    Asus DRW-24B1ST
    WD 640GB Black (OS)
    WD 1TBGB Black
    3x WD WD20EARS
    WD 640 Blue

Lian Li PC-A70B
    Lian Li EX 33B for extra airflow

BIOS

LLC...standard
    VCORE...1.3
    QPI/VTT 1.34
    CPU/PLL...1.8
    IOH CORE...1.1
    ICH CORE...1.1
    VDIMM...1.6

9-9-9-24 1600

CPU...19x
    QPI...x36
    Uncore...x16
    Mem...x8
    BCLK...200

Turbo...off
    c1E/c3/EIST...disabled

XMP...disabled
    Mem performance...standard

Default Re: Upgrading to HD 5770 has made my X58A UD3R more unstable...Help

Also, do you suppose my data drives have been corrupted in my case? Since I didn't actually access my data drives,they should not have been corrupted, right? The OS drive has most definitely been corrupted, unfortunately.

Talking Re: Upgrading to HD 5770 has made my X58A UD3R more unstable...Help

Can't see anything wrong with your settings,my 5770 runs fine,you could try one or two clicks more ioh and ich voltage,seems like your memory is suffering from cold boot ups,hence errors when cold

for data drives run chkdsk on each to scan and correct any errors
    Last edited by wazza300; 02-03-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, Wazza300. :)

Why do you suggest increasing IOH/ICH and not PCI-E freq/V?

Also, why do you suspect the ram as causing the cold boot problem? If you summed the number of hours I ran memtest on this kit, it might be over a week.

Unfortunately, the Mugen II is just as finicky as the X58A UD3R. The only way I can test a stick individually is to uninstall the cooler, which juts out over the rams. But installing this cooler on this board has been a nightmare. :(

What is your advice? Should I test the sticks individually when the kit is able to be stable together? Considering that my other system has a similar concern, I am hesitant to blame the ram. When I google, I see that many people have the same problem. But the cause seems to be a mystery.

My feeling still is that once I find the right V/Frequency setting in BIOS that the cold boot issue will go away. This is how I solved the problem the last time.

I do not think the HD5770 is causing an unusual problem. I just think the BIOS doesn't quite get how to cold boot with the PCI-E plug using component. I have used in my system the X2600Pro and the HD5670. Neither uses the extra power. Neither made my system unstable in a particular instance. The HD 5770's extra power connection is what is different from my previous experience with this system.

:)

I don't know what it could be,pcie freq should be fine on 101-103,any higher and it will crash unless extremely overclocked 4ghz+,if it was stable before and not now maybe psu/pcie power isn't up to it or a bios setting/voltage is slightly off,ioh/ich can help with gpu sometimes but I leave mine on auto,same for pcie auto-101 freq
    Last edited by wazza300; 02-03-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Nuts! I forgot to ask.

What is the safe max for ICH and IOH?

To explain why IOH and ICH mattered at all in the first place, when I was here last trying to make my system stable, we never figured out why it did, but setting the IOH and ICH to 1.1 actually made it stable...I still think that there are times when the BIOS can be helped with having less variables to work with. I don't know how else to explain the fix...

It might also explain the cold boot problem. The system tries to turn itself on several times before actually doing so. This must be the BIOS searching for acceptable Vs... But this is just my guess...

You shouldn't need any more than one or two clicks on each,it helps if your running sli/xfire too,you could try bootimg up in safe mode and using driver remover to un and re install the ATI drivers
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

I'll try with 1.3V for each. After an hour off, AUTO seems to be doing fine on memtest so far. But this is not acceptable because the problematic strange power option cycling before boot is more pronounced on AUTO.

I do not have any issue with the driver; my problem is strictly on BIOS level, most likely.

Nevermind. AUTO failed memtest as it used to, with just a few instances of error later in the test.

ICH and IOH set to AUTO will not be stable with my overclock and components...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information