Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-770TA-UD3 + (4x2)8gb DDR3 = BSOD!

Default GA-770TA-UD3 + (4x2)8gb DDR3 = BSOD!

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hello,

I was linked to this forum by a TomsHardware Gigabyte Sticky which recommended this forum as ''the place to go!."
    I just purchased an additional 4 GB of Ram, which matches my current set exactly.
    When all four sticks are installed, I get BSODs in less than 15 minutes.

My system runs without problems with 2 sticks installed in slot 1, 2 OR in 3, 4.

The steps I have taken are as follows:
    -All four sticks pass Memtest86. I have tested them in pairs.
    -Flashed bios with F3.
    -Updated all of the mobo drivers.
    -Windows is updated.
    -No antivirus software.

Link to the memory:

Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664BN1608
    My system is as follows:
    GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3. // OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro // AthlonII X3 440 3.0GHz. // POWERCOLOR Radeon HD5770. // Crucial Ballistix 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 // SAMSUNG Spinpoint-F3 500GB 7200RPM // Win7 64 Home premium.

Any help will be much appreciated! :)

Default Re: GA-770TA-UD3 + (4x2)8gb DDR3 = BSOD!

Some additional info here.

I can run two sticks without problems, (2 x 2Gb), at either:

-1333Mhz with 9, 9, 9, 24 at 1.5volt. 2t. These 1333 settings are the automatic setting when I choose the "Load optimized defaults" option.
    OR
    -1600Mhz with 8, 8, 8, 24 at 1.66 volt. (2t & increased memory clock to 8.00) Here I have manually change all of these settings to match the Rams specs.

Both of the above run stable with two sticks, BUT, When I install all four with either of the above settings I get BSOD.

Should I try increased voltages or different timings?
    Would trying 'ganged' be useful? And if I were to have success with 'ganged' at 1333Mhz, would the 'ganged' setting and lower Mhz negate the small performance benefit I am going to see with the additional 4gb?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

With 8GB you will need to increase your NB voltage (CPU NB VID I believe in your BIOS)

Sorry I personally can't help much with AMD yet, so hopefully others will chime in soon to help.

You may also need more than spec voltage with 8GB, as the rated timings/voltages are for one kit.

Did you verify in your manual that you can use Dual Sided chips (DS) in all four channels?

Thanks for replying Lsdmeasap.

When increasing NB voltage, is there a number I should not exceed?

I wasn't aware that the rated timings and voltages were for one kit, good to know.

I did verify that I can use Dual Sided chips (DS) in all four channels, the manual lists both SS/DS for all four slots in all configurations.

If there is anyone here who can give me more detailed info please help!!

Thanks.

I can't help directly. But I would suggest starting a post at the Crucial forums, too.

Crucial Community - Crucial Community

Chike is offline Senior Member

Note it is the CPU NB VID not NB Voltage.
    I see the standard reccomendation in OCZ forums is 1.35v so don't go over that, but don't start there either, try small incremebts, then maybe one more for safety.
    Do all 4 DIMMs fail Memtest86+ as well or do they pass?

Chike.

I have Crucial Ballistix, which notes the voltage at 1.65v on the package. See above for a link.
    All four dimms pass and all four ram modules pass memtest86+

Chike is offline Senior Member

1.35v is what they recommend for CPU NB VID Control not DRAM voltage.
    You have stated you ested them in pairs, I mean do they pass memtest86+ when all 4 modules are installed?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by davisflow View Post
    Thanks for replying Lsdmeasap.

When increasing NB voltage, is there a number I should not exceed?

I wasn't aware that the rated timings and voltages were for one kit, good to know.

I did verify that I can use Dual Sided chips (DS) in all four channels, the manual lists both SS/DS for all four slots in all configurations.

If there is anyone here who can give me more detailed info please help!!

Thanks.
    Great to hear you can use DS in all slots! See above about NB (CPU NB VID) voltages.

Quote Originally Posted by ROSESTEEL View Post
    I can't help directly. But I would suggest starting a post at the Crucial forums, too.

Crucial Community - Crucial Community
    Well that would be great, but since I am the main person that replies in the memory forum there it probably wouldn't help, so I'd have to sadly tell him the same things as I have here.

Unless he could get one of the Crucial Reps to help him out?

Hi there,
    you don't say which CPU you are using but you should be aware that AMD do not recommend running RAM above 1333MHz as speeds above this can cause instability, especially when all four slots on the motherboard are filled. Check this link for more info: VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING AMD AM3 CPU's and RAM SPEEDS

You could try loosening the timings to 9,9,9,27 with them set at 1333MHz and 1.5V. I have 4X2 Gig Corsair Dominator RAM rated the same as your crucial modules and I have found these settings to be the most reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information