Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble testing each stick on X58A UD3R, what am I forgetting? ^^;

Default Re: Having trouble testing each stick on X58A UD3R, what am I forgetting? ^^;

@wazza300

I am testing each stick individually. In half an hour, I am going to cold boot into XMP profile. :)

Default Re: Having trouble testing each stick on X58A UD3R, what am I forgetting? ^^;

Make a note of what xmp sets qpi voltage to
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    You have 12gb of ram?you need more qpi/vtt atleast 1.35v maybe more,this could be why its suffering from cold boots
    Agreed, and I would personally test 3 sticks at a time in the white slots. set the VDimm manually to 1.6v as that is what the memory is rated for and set the timming manually to 9-9-9-24 again because that is what the memory is rated for.

then for the memory multiplier set it to 12 manually and that will set your RAM to 1600mhz.

then from there run Memtest. I would run the first 3 sticks overnight and then the next day switch the 3 sets of memory and re-do the test again...

once the ram passes in 3's then install all 6 and try the test again. if there is a failure after that then I would suspect a bad RAM slot.

keep us posted.

Vin

Nice! XMP has allowed me to pass Memtest off cold boot for the first time in a week. :D That's one stick down. I might as well do the same for the other 5. That would take me about 10-12 hours.

XMP:

VDimm...1,6V
    QPI...1.35V
    9-9-9-24 1600MHz.
    Uncore...x24
    SPD...x12

X58 UD3R does not actually have a QPI/VTT increment of 1.35V. It jumps from 1.34 to 1.36. The values beginning with 1.36V are marked in magenta as a warning. But XMP confirms that I need more than 1.34V. I will raise QPI/VTT after testing the kit first.

@Vinster

Well, can 6 sticks pass 10 hours of Memtest if one is a bit bad? What is the advantage of testing 3 at a time, when I could save time and test all six for ~10 hours? If the kit passes ~10 hours of Memtest on XMP from cold boot, then does that mean I have confirmed neither that there may be a bad stick nor that there may not be a bad stick?

I will manually set VDimm, QPI/VTT, memory timings, Uncore, and SPD and, also, set memory performance enhance to standard.

I will wait 2 hours. And cold boot into Memtest and run the test for 10 hours.

Slot #1 is good. And I will mark the one stick that has passed cold boot. If the 6 stick kit fails, then I will work backwards to look for the faulty slot or stick.

Ah, failure!

I set the BIOS manually to match XMP. But the six sticks immediately failed cold boot test. Are there other settings XMP changes besides QPI/VTT, VDimm, timings, Uncore, and SPD?

My next test is in two hours. I set the BIOS back to XMP.

Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed?

New update.

XMP does fail, too, for all 6 sticks.

Still, on XMP, I will test each stick on slot 1 before testing with 3 sticks.

Ya, but testing the each stick individually will not confirm a bad slot and testing 3 sticks at a time is more practical than individually imo.

for me to run though a memtest at 1600mhz takes about 30-35 minutes. as i have never used XMP i'd never recommend it for troubleshooting a problem because to me is adds bells and whisles that may be contributing to the problem.

I'd clear the cmos, and on re-start, go in to the bios, load optimized settings and then set the following settings manually as you had them up above

VDimm...1.6V
    QPI...1.34V first, if it failes try 1.36v (this won't hurt the system for a test)
    timings 9-9-9-24
    Uncore...x24 or Auto
    SPD...x12

change nothing else. and try that. run 1 or 2 passes and then swap out the 3 sticks with the other 3 and try again. and don't touch the bios at all. just turn off the PC, pull the plug or hit the kill switch on the PSU, swap out the ram, re-plug or turn the kill switch back on, power up and test.

this is just the process I would take for sorting out an issue with having 6 sticks of ram. making sure all 6 sticks are good in 3's you know the memory is OK then its down to the board being flaky

Vin
    Last edited by Vinster; 02-08-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: added more info

@Vinster

Alright, I'll try the 3 sticks test.

The nature of my cold boot problem means that once I turn on the system, I can't restart without tainting the test. But if the 3 sticks are good, then I'll run them for half an hour under XMP, as that is what is stored in the BIOS right now. As far as I can tell, XMP does nothing more than set those 5 values. But I would need to compare everything under memory Vs and timings to be sure. :)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information