Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Overclocking a Intel Q9300 on a GA-P43-ES3G (rev1.4) and memory speed problem

Thumbs up Re: Overclocking a Intel Q9300 on a GA-P43-ES3G (rev1.4) and memory speed problem

BTW: What CPU cooler do you recomend? I am a FIRM beliver in proper cooling!!!
    GA-EP45-UD3P (Rev.1.6)
    Intel Q9300 Quad
    BIOS Award Ver. 6.00PG (EP45-UD3P FD, as read in EZTune6)
    Noctua NH-D14 Everything dropped by at least 10C and Keeps in mid 40C's Idle & lo 70C's @ 100%(ambient intake air temp ~24C)
    15 Fans (Yes, I like things COOL! They are run on "Quiet" settings thanks to Scythe KS01)
    8 Gigs Memory 4x2Gig G.Skill (GSK F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK R) @ 2.1V 5-5-5-15 1066MHZ tRead 7
    Arctic Cooler DDR2 Memory fans
    PC Power & Cooling Computer Full Tower case
    12- SATA drives mounted in CoolMaster 4-in-3 Device Modules (STB-3T4-E3-GP)
    High Point RocketRaid 3520LF with 5-drives WD7501AALS (Caviar Black) RAID 10 w/Hot Spare and 3-drives WD3000HLFS in RAID 5 (VelociRaptors)FAST controller but HOT 50C needs fan cooler
    2-drives RAID 1 on Promisse Fast Track S150 TX2plus PCI controller (Mirrored)
    2-drives 1-Intel SSD 40Gig(page file) 1-WD 750Gig connected to motherboard.
    2- DvD drives 1-SATA 1-IDE
    Corsair 1200W Power supply (Nice to change power cable options)
    AeroCool EasyWatch - 3-Fan speed controller with alarm (for drive cages)
    2-Scythe "Kraze Server" KS01 Fan controllers ( Air intake Temp & axillary fan speed , CPU Temp & fan speed , axillary exhaust Air Temp & fan speed , RocketRaid 3520 RAID controller (Extremely HOT 55C) Temp & fan speed , Northbridge Temp fan speed & Soundcard/Promisse RAID) The Scythe KS01 controls fan speed based on temp!!!
    Zalman ZM-MFC-2 fan controller and power consumption meter (Air intake Temp primary fan, GPU Temp fan speed
    Sapphire Radon HD 5570 with a Antec® Cyclone® Blower Expansion Slot Cooler for it.
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro 5.1 Surround
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Overclocking a Intel Q9300 on a GA-P43-ES3G (rev1.4) and memory speed problem

Since you said you on a budget, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, or Zalman CNPS10X Performa, or Sxythe Mugen 2 rev b, all are selling at around 40USD at Newegg.
    Three Budget CPU Coolers Reviewed. Page 5 - X-bit labs
    Six Coolers for Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Processor. Page 8 - X-bit labs
    Prolimatech Megahalems and 12 Other Coolers for Intel Core i7 Overclocking. Page 18 - X-bit labs
    I myself ordered the CNPS10X Performa for a new build.

Default Re: Overclocking a Intel Q9300 on a GA-P43-ES3G (rev1.4) and memory speed problem

Well, I have 2 Mugen 2s. When I overclock my i7 930 to 3.8GHz, the cooler keeps my chip between 35degC to 48degC in the southern California summer. Its performance is pretty good for under $40. It's even a bit better on my i7 950.

But I do not recommend it. It's really too large and too heavy. It will cover up your ram slots and make it difficult to plug in your psu above the socket. I paired the included quiet Scythe fan with a Yate Loon for push and pull. But the rear fan almost touches the rear exhaust case fan. And I do not have any confidence in the cooler's ability to hang on during transit from place to place. Two little screws and the natural adhesive properties of cured tim is all that keeps it from hurling off the socket. It likely would not fall off in an hour long car ride, but I would take it off if I were to move and take my pc with me. :D

And if you screw it on too tightly, it pushes the tim away from certain areas of the chip, creating a tim-less gap. In fact, if you tighten it very tightly, it creates a large "H" shape clear of tim: you can actually push the tim into two large rectangular regions on the chip.

Get a thin cooler! Scythe's a high quality company and the Mugen 2's a good budget cooler. But that's just how I feel about it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ROSESTEEL View Post
    And if you screw it on too tightly, it pushes the tim away from certain areas of the chip, creating a tim-less gap. In fact, if you tighten it very tightly, it creates a large "H" shape clear of tim: you can actually push the tim into two large rectangular regions on the chip.
    That's not bad at all, Idealy you'd want it to push ALL the TIM out. The best heat transfers from metal to metal, the TIM is only suppused to fill the small, micronic if both CPU and HS has a flat surfas, areas.
    It is indeed big, with his current memory he should have no problem with it. For me it was the retention kit that I had trouble with (rev 1).
    I chose the performa because it is a bit smaller, and has what looks like easy to install retention kit, and of course great performance according to reviews.

@Chike.

That's interesting that you would want the tim spread away from the center. Every picture I see on the net demonstrating proper application of tim shows a big circular patch of tim around the center when you pry off the cooler. And I have been thinking that that is what it should look like because the last couple of times I pushed the tim away from the center, I had cold boot issues on both my systems with the Mugen 2. But now, I see that the cause may have been due to faulty RAM, so I am no longer certain how tim should look when you pry it off.

:/

The GA-P43-ES3G has a 4 pin power connector above the socket. Big Duck would need a very long cable to get around the Mugen 2 to plug into it if the psu is installed below the motherboard.

I don't know what picures you look at.
    Check the CNPS10X Performa TIM imprint in Zalman CNPS10X Performa and Zaward Vapor120 CPU Coolers. Page 2 - X-bit labs.
    Of course even this isn't the real way the TIM spread, for that you will have to picture it while it is beging pressed.

Smile Re: Overclocking a Intel Q9300 on a GA-P43-ES3G (rev1.4) and memory speed problem

Hi everyone,
    I went to Arctic Silver's web site and this is what I found at (Arctic Silver Incorporated - Route to Product Instructions for Arctic Silver 5) it involves "tinting and stripping" for Intel processors and involves different methods for each individual chips-interesting. A different method for AMD chips, the "dot."
    Tomorrow I will start the overclock test.
    Big Duck
    GA-EP45-UD3P (Rev.1.6)
    Intel Q9300 Quad
    Noctua NH-D14 Everything dropped by at least 10C and Keeps in mid 40C's Idle & lo 70C's @ 100%(ambient intake air temp ~24C)
    15 Fans (Yes, I like things COOL! They are run on "Quiet" settings thanks to Scythe KS01)
    8 Gigs Memory 4x2Gig G.Skill (GSK F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK R) @ 2.1V 5-5-5-15 1066MHZ tRead 7
    High Point RocketRaid 3520LF with 5-drives WD7501AALS (Caviar Black) RAID 10 w/Hot Spare and 3-drives WD3000HLFS in RAID 5 (VelociRaptors)FAST controller but HOT 50C needs fan cooler
    2-Scythe "Kraze Server" KS01 Fan controllers ( Air intake Temp & axillary fan speed , CPU Temp & fan speed , axillary exhaust Air Temp & fan speed , RocketRaid 3520 RAID controller (Extremely HOT 55C) Temp & fan speed , Northbridge Temp fan speed & Soundcard/Promisse RAID) The Scythe KS01 controls fan speed based on temp!!!
    Zalman ZM-MFC-2 fan controller and power consumption meter (Air intake Temp primary fan, GPU Temp fan speed
    Sapphire Radon HD 5570 with a Antec® Cyclone® Blower Expansion Slot Cooler for it.
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You just need to find what works best for you, I alternate and see they both actually cover pretty much the same (Dot or strip)

Just so you know, I have had a setback, my KVM seems to have failed. It may have to do with this board's phone charging capabilities. I think the KVM's power supply is fighting with the charging capability.
    I have not given up on the prodject. Just one of thoes potholes in the road to progress!
    GA-EP45-UD3P (Rev.1.6)
    Intel Q9300 Quad
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hit control + F1 on the MAIN page of the BIOS, then go into Power Options page and disable Wake via USB and see if that helps.

I need a KVM, which are you using so I don't look at that model? :)

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information