Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Overclocking a Intel Q9300 on a GA-P43-ES3G (rev1.4) and memory speed problem

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Overclocking a Intel Q9300 on a GA-P43-ES3G (rev1.4) and memory speed problem

It is difficult to tell which memory will work and which will not, 4 modules are more stressful for the MCH than 2 so 2x2GB may be easier to get stable.
    Try each pair of modules in the slots they are installed now, if you get errors try to move them to the other paair of slots, aand then test each module individually if there are still errors.
    The NB heatsink always heat up pretty much (I haven'tmeasured my temps but it's very hot to touch).

What is your BIOS version? Please add it to your signature.

What new CPU heatsink did you get? What are core temps now?

Regarding the RAID, I mean with RAID 5 you would have more space or could use less didks. RAID 10 half the capacity is always "wasted", with RAID 5 it would be only 25-30% depend how many disks you use, with a penalty for writes.

Default Re: Overclocking a Intel Q9300 on a GA-P43-ES3G (rev1.4) and memory speed problem

Chike,
    I updated my signature with the BIOS (F14) info, did you view the attachment with my BIOS info in it? (Post #49) I also had updated my signature with the Heatsink info. Noctua NH-D14 (If you go to town, stay all day) I have ordered some Crutcial Balistic 2x2 memory sticks, DDR2 PC8500 1066 2.0V 5-5-5-15.
    Please check the BIOS template information in post #49 there are 3 entries that I noted. I would appriciate it if you looked at the other posts I refer to in that post.
    Re: The RAID question. With 1.5 TB available I am not worried about capacity. (Unless I am misinformed) I just can not afford to lose my photos. I am building this computer for the long haul.
    One other question... Is the Q6600 a better running chip than the Q9300?
    Thank you,
    BD
    GA-EP45-UD3P (Rev.1.6)
    Intel Q9300 Quad
    BIOS Award Ver. 6.00PG (EP45-UD3P FD, as read in EZTune6)
    Noctua NH-D14 Everything dropped by at least 10C and Keeps in mid 40C's Idle & lo 70C's @ 100%(ambient intake air temp ~24C)
    15 Fans (Yes, I like things COOL! They are run on "Quiet" settings thanks to Scythe KS01)
    8 Gigs Memory 4x2Gig G.Skill (GSK F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK R) @ 2.1V 5-5-5-15 1066MHZ tRead 7
    Arctic Cooler DDR2 Memory fans
    PC Power & Cooling Computer Full Tower case
    12- SATA drives mounted in CoolMaster 4-in-3 Device Modules (STB-3T4-E3-GP)
    High Point RocketRaid 3520LF with 5-drives WD7501AALS (Caviar Black) RAID 10 w/Hot Spare and 3-drives WD3000HLFS in RAID 5 (VelociRaptors)FAST controller but HOT 50C needs fan cooler
    2-drives RAID 1 on Promisse Fast Track S150 TX2plus PCI controller (Mirrored)
    2-drives 1-Intel SSD 40Gig(page file) 1-WD 750Gig connected to motherboard.
    2- DvD drives 1-SATA 1-IDE
    Corsair 1200W Power supply (Nice to change power cable options)
    AeroCool EasyWatch - 3-Fan speed controller with alarm (for drive cages)
    2-Scythe "Kraze Server" KS01 Fan controllers ( Air intake Temp & axillary fan speed , CPU Temp & fan speed , axillary exhaust Air Temp & fan speed , RocketRaid 3520 RAID controller (Extremely HOT 55C) Temp & fan speed , Northbridge Temp fan speed & Soundcard/Promisse RAID) The Scythe KS01 controls fan speed based on temp!!!
    Zalman ZM-MFC-2 fan controller and power consumption meter (Air intake Temp primary fan, GPU Temp fan speed
    Sapphire Radon HD 5570 with a Antec® Cyclone® Blower Expansion Slot Cooler for it.
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro 5.1 Surround
    Windows XP Pro SP3

With your board you might have clocked the Q6600 higher, it's not worth upgrading/downgrading IMO.
    Lets hope the crucial will do better than the kingston.
    Sorry I didn't see the template before, if looks ok, and Static tRead 9 is quite loose.
    Have you tried pairs yet?
    What are the temps like with the Noktua? This thing is huge, didn't have trouble installing it?

RAID 5 is redundant just like RAID 10 only if does not mirror the whole data, but a checksum for data from different disks on another disk.

Chike.
    I listed the temps in my signature. It is BIG but it fit!!! :-) I will post a picture of the beast soon.
    Did yoy see all 3 items noted in the BIOS template?
    Did you read the other posts?
    BD
    BTW: I looked up the origin of your name. It said that it means "power of God." I am happy to be in such capable hands. ;-)
    BD
    GA-EP45-UD3P (Rev.1.6)
    Intel Q9300 Quad
    Noctua NH-D14 Everything dropped by at least 10C and Keeps in mid 40C's Idle & lo 70C's @ 100%(ambient intake air temp ~24C)
    15 Fans (Yes, I like things COOL! They are run on "Quiet" settings thanks to Scythe KS01)
    8 Gigs Memory 4x2Gig G.Skill (GSK F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK R) @ 2.1V 5-5-5-15 1066MHZ tRead 7
    High Point RocketRaid 3520LF with 5-drives WD7501AALS (Caviar Black) RAID 10 w/Hot Spare and 3-drives WD3000HLFS in RAID 5 (VelociRaptors)FAST controller but HOT 50C needs fan cooler
    2-Scythe "Kraze Server" KS01 Fan controllers ( Air intake Temp & axillary fan speed , CPU Temp & fan speed , axillary exhaust Air Temp & fan speed , RocketRaid 3520 RAID controller (Extremely HOT 55C) Temp & fan speed , Northbridge Temp fan speed & Soundcard/Promisse RAID) The Scythe KS01 controls fan speed based on temp!!!
    Zalman ZM-MFC-2 fan controller and power consumption meter (Air intake Temp primary fan, GPU Temp fan speed
    Sapphire Radon HD 5570 with a Antec® Cyclone® Blower Expansion Slot Cooler for it.
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Chike,
    here are the three items that I wonder if are correct;
    CPU Host Clock Control --------------- : [DISABLED]
    DRAM Timing Selectable ---------------- : [Auto]
    Virtualization Technology ------------- : [ENABLED]
    You stated:
    "It is difficult to tell which memory will work and which will not, 4 modules are more stressful for the MCH than 2 so 2x2GB may be easier to get stable." Why? I thought that symetrical channels would be more efficient and lead to higher performance. What do I need to learn?
    I Will test the Ram tonight.
    BD
    GA-EP45-UD3P (Rev.1.6)
    Intel Q9300 Quad
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Clock control disabled is fine if you do not OC, but you have listed 266 below and it should be 333.
    The DRAM Timing Selectable is auto but below timings seem to be set manually, which is correct?
    Virtualization Technology, if you do not use it you can disable it.

Because we use unbuffered/registered memory the memory controller needs to access all memory, more modules mean more stress on the memory controller.

Temps still a bit high, wth 35c inside the case the should be around 45 at idle with high-end cooler.

Chike,
    I tested RAM and found that the stick in chA0 was bad. It was also the stick that was 10-15C hotter than the rest. The rest of the sticks ran 4hrs on test#5 and 9hrs on all tests without a fault. :-) seems that "One bad stick can spoil the whole computer." ;-)
    Re your answers:
    Clock control disabled is fine if you do not OC, but you have listed 266 below and it should be 333.
    This is what the manual says;
    CPU Host Clock Control
    Enables or disables the control of CPU host clock. Enabled will allow the CPU Host Frequency
    item below to be configurable. Note: If your system fails to boot after overclocking, please wait for
    20 seconds to allow for automated system reboot, or clear the CMOS values to reset the board to
    default values. (Default: Disabled)
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)
    Allows you to manually set the CPU host frequency. This item is configurable only if the CPU
    Host Clock Control option is enabled. The adjustable range is from 100 MHz to 1200 MHz.
    For an 800 MHz FSB CPU, set this item to 200 MHz.
    For a 1066 MHz FSB CPU, set this item to 266 MHz.
    For a 1333 MHz FSB CPU, set this item to 333 MHz. WHAT TO DO? WOULD FSB BE TO HIGH?
    Important It is highly recommended that the CPU frequency be set in accordance with the CPU
    specifications.

The DRAM Timing Selectable is auto but below timings seem to be set manually, which is correct? My exact thoughts. I will set it to MANUAL

Virtualization Technology, if you do not use it you can disable it. I do have a program by Acronis that allows me to use a portion of my drive as a virtual computer to test programs prior to installation. I do not know if it really veirtualizes or somthihg else. Is there any "hit" to leaving this on?

Because we use unbuffered/registered memory the memory controller needs to access all memory, more modules mean more stress on the memory controller.Would using buffered/registered memory lead to higher performance?

I am keeping a eye on the temps. I figured that i would give it time to settle in. I find it unusual that cores 0&3 RUN ~5C HOTTER THAN 1&2. Any thoughts?

Is the information re your name correct?

Thanks,
    BD
    BTW My name Bruce came out as Thicket, woody area. :-)
    GA-EP45-UD3P (Rev.1.6)
    Intel Q9300 Quad
    Windows XP Pro SP3

The default FSB for your CPU is 333(1333 rated FSB), with default settings(CPU Host Clock Control
    disabled) it should have been 333.

I don't think virtualization should result in any hit or penalty. The software may be able to work with or without virtualization if it was designed to do so, virtualization software existed before Intel's virtualization technolody.

buffered or registered memory is not faster but allow to install a lot of memmory without worring about stress on the memory controller. This board does not support registered memory, those cost a lot of money, and usually used in servers.

My name is just a nick my buddys gave me many years ago.

Here is the newBIOS w/updates. 2 MY P43 Bios Template.txt
    I have run Prime95 for many hours NO PROBLEMS Still running just to make 100% sure things are stable.
    To think one stick of Kingston would have been the cause of most of the problems.

Well now it is off to speeding this sucker up. 100% prosessing = ~+15C on all 4 processors at the moment. Is the differance between processor base line temps (53c, 59c,62c and 51c normal?)
    BD
    GA-EP45-UD3P (Rev.1.6)
    Intel Q9300 Quad
    Windows XP Pro SP3

3 memory modules installed?
    Try running IBT with high or max stress level 5-10 loops. Watch the temps, IBT create much more heat than Prime95, see what GFlops are like.
    You may try to lower tRD(Static tRead Value) to 7 or 6 for better memory performance but you will have to run memtest86+/Prime95 again.
    Or you can try the settings from post #8 for 2.8GHz. don't leave VTT(CPU Termination) on auto.

Temps a bit high but maybe it's due to the high case/ambiant temperature.
    DRAM Voltage is missing in the template.

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information