Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X48-DQ6 SSD Serious Problem

Default X48-DQ6 SSD Serious Problem

I just bought a Kingston SSD-now and was installing it on my system. I have read a lot about SSDs and finally took the dive, and I came across the Tweak Town SSD guide.

I followed the guide and right after a fresh install I install the Rapid Storage Management driver from Intel and after I reboot it just freezes at the windows loading screen. AHCI is enabled on both controllers both the gigabyte and the Intel ones (the gigabyte ones are purple and the intel are orange). I noticed one strange BIOS setting that port 0-3 are in native mode, I change it to disabled for legacy but it still gives me an error. The SSD is on SATA port 4.

If I dont install the Rapid storage driver everything works as intended, what am I doing wrong? I dont want to miss out on the great speed of my new SSD. I will be checking this thread constantly.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X48-DQ6 SSD Serious Problem

Your OS disk should be on SATAII_0, but that wouldn't be giving you these issues.

What it sounds like to me is that you had your drive in IDE mode before, then changed to AHCI without making the proper registry changes. Did you used to have it in IDE?

If you did, set it back to IDE for a minute in the BIOS, then go into windows and make the following registry changes, then reboot back to the BIOS and enable AHCI again.

Please also be sure you are using the very latest BIOS here (F8i), otherwise older BIOSes may not be updated for smooth operation with SSD's
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...st-bios-2.html

Please flash with Qflash, and disable Keep DMI Data before you flash, here is a guide if you are not familiar with Qflash
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html

I have done multiple installs all with different settings in the bios, however im running on F6 bios that was from gigabyte's site ill try the f8i bios and see if that helps. Also the mobo was always in ACHI and port 0-3 were in native mode, is that what I should be running ? also should I keep it on sata port 0 or 4 where its currently at ?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, please do try the latest F8i

I would move the SSD to SATAII_0 (Against the PCB)

If you continue to have issues I may have to make a modified BIOS for you, I think some X48 have problems with SSD's that is why i suggested you test the latest BIOS to be sure if the issue is still there or not.

Here are my settings when it comes to the integrated peripherals tab,as follows:

ICH Sata Control Mode....AHCI
    Sata port 0-3 native mode...Enabled
    Onboard Sata/IDE device...Enabled
    ONboard Sata/IDE ctrl mode...ACHI

I do a fresh install on the SSD with win 7 with these bios settings and it works but right after the Rapid Storage Technology driver reboot it goes to the loading screen and freezes there.

quick update, i can change my settings to IDE mode on the ICH Sata Control Mode and then it boots into windows, but obviously its only at IDE speeds. I installed windows under AHCI mode, im really confused.

Also this bios causes my DVD drive to operate at snail's pace at boot time. I was going to try to reinstall windows and it would seriously take 15 minutes to load the initial setup after 45 minutes and just barely getting past the language section i gave up
    Last edited by mourningstar625; 02-11-2011 at 03:55 AM.

quick update, i can change my settings to IDE mode on the ICH Sata Control Mode and then it boots into windows, but obviously its only at IDE speeds. I installed windows under AHCI mode, im really confused.

Also this bios causes my DVD drive to operate at snail's pace at boot time. I was going to try to reinstall windows and it would seriously take 15 minutes to load the initial setup after 45 minutes and just barely getting past the language section i gave up
    Last edited by mourningstar625; 02-11-2011 at 03:54 AM.

It looks like no one on this board this week has any experience with SSDs as OS drives.

I can't help either, but I have some questions.

(1) Are you certain or uncertain about your motherboard model? Is it really the X48T?

(2) Can you confirm that the SATA connections are not loose?

(3) EDIT: accidentally deleted. I was wondering whether you could post here settings on Integrated Peripherals and Advanced BIOS Settings.
    Last edited by ROSESTEEL; 02-10-2011 at 11:07 AM.

The freezing at the Windows logo does seem like AHCI--IDE mix up. A reformat and reinstall would solve that problem, though. The optical drive does take its time loading the OS installation disc. But I agree that It shouldn't take 45 minutes to get to the language options page...

By the way, did you reformat your SSD?

Okay so, I got windows installed using all the above bios settings. got into windows ran AS SSD benchmark, said I was on MSAHCI. Installed Rapid storage driver rebooted and it loaded windows, rand AS SSD again much worse scores across the board. rebooted again, then stuck on windows loading screen again, back to original behavior.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information