Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bent pins causing no post? (UD3R)

Default Bent pins causing no post? (UD3R)

My motherboard seems to have 3 or 4 bent pins, very easy to spot from a distance.

Anyways my power will not power on and stay on, when I plug everything in it stays on for a second and then restarts then loops.

Unplugging the CPU power allows the components video card fans, psu fans, motherboard led lights to all go on and stay on as long as I don't shut the power off.

Plugging the cpu power in makes the power on, then off, then endless loop.

Could the bent pins on my motherboard cause this issue? I'm thinking of trying to bend them back before just RMAing the board and asking for gigabyte to fix the socket for the labor charge (do they do this?)

The CPU is a corsair 750watt CMPSU
    intel i7 950
    ram is corsair XMS3 3 sticks of 2gbs and I've tried seatting the ram in dual channel mode, triple channel mode (1, 3, 5) and just one stick with nothing helping.

I can't think of anything I've done wrong other then seeing the bent pins, this was my first time building though.. anyways could anyone think of any issues that could be causing this other then bent pins?

and also does gigabyte offer to fix the socket for a price i understand its out of warranty and i will pay shipping but the board costs $209.99 I'd rather spend $70 then replace the whole thing at this point.

Default Re: Bent pins causing no post? (UD3R)

What happened?

Yeah, bent pins might keep system from posting. :(

No idea how it happened, I was very cautious about putting the cpu in because obviously it was the most expensive piece of my system... the only pressure put on it was when I had to relatch the lever. I know I put aligned it correctly or else the latch wouldn't close (right?). Kinda worried now the next time i get a different motherboard its going to happen again..

I think maybe I honestly screwed the hyper 212+ too much thats really all I could think of at this point but it feels like a big noob moment here for me. I'm just hoping theres no issue with the i7 950, I don't mind getting another mobo or getting the socket fixed if gigabyte offers for labor cost it which I believe they do but haven't really seen it confirmed anywhere.

Did you notice anything amiss before first installing cpu?

I doubt that installing cooler would have harmed the pins. And your description of cpu installation makes it seem unlikely that you bent them...

Really don't think i've missed anything but I'd love someone to double check heres what i did step by step on a cardboard box

note i'm not sure what REV the board is but I just purchased it this week. as well as all parts new from newegg

1. install back plate for cpu cooler
    2. removed the little note! and put the lined up the cpu in and gently put it in looked for the arrow notch and the notch on the motherboard
    3. used the pea TIM method for the hyper 212+ heatsink and then mounted it.
    4. inserted the ram sticks, each in slot 1, 3, 5 which I believe is the correct method for enabling triple channel because its the "white" slots (I've also tried one stick trying each dim slot separately)
    5. inserted video card and plugged in the two pci-e cables
    6. plugged in 24pin connector and the cpu power connector as well as the cpu fan into the cpu fan slot.
    7. plugged the speaker in the correct slot in case i was to hear anything.

flip psu switch and the pc starts to get going then shuts off immediately then starts again, if i was to unplug the cpu power it would start and continue to stay on until i turned it off

the pins i noticed were DEFINITELY bent I will take a picture tomorrow but I was able to notice them almost immediately.

If you have the GA-X58A-UD3R, you can find its revision number on the lower left hand corner, at the edge of the expansion slot area.

The white slots are the correct slots for triple channel with 3 sticks.

You don't want any bent pins.

It looks like RMA time.

maybe you can take some pics from the socket with bent pins.
    had this myself and took a needle and put them gentle back to position as best as i could and got it running again.

hope you get it back to work

It won't boot up if pins are bent,it sometimes boots and you have missing memory,I had just one bent pin on an asus board,I straightened it with a fine sewing needle and fixed it,I wouldn't attempt fixing yourself if 4 or 5 pins are damaged,best rma it to gigabyte,they should repair for you,pins are very easy to bend,even removing the protective cpu cover can bend them so take care,overtightening cpu cooler wouldn't damage them though imo
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information