Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: X58A-UD3R problem using Winrar unpacking to USB drive

Unhappy Re: X58A-UD3R problem using Winrar unpacking to USB drive

Hello everyone,
    I did run couple of more tests and results are negative.
    I'm concluding something must be with writhing to usb drive or maybe usb driver himself.
    I install on regular single drive new windows xp 32 bit and I was able to transfer or unrar without any problem BUT the speed was very slow comparing to my marvel raid 0 setup.
    takes to transfer 4.5 gig file to usb with xp 32 4 min20 sec.
    Transferring same file to usb from win 64 which I'm running recently with raid 0 i will do that within 2 min time (including freeze for over a min).
    I still have to make one more test on Marvell controller with raid 0 configurations and load windows xp32 bit.
    Maybe is a problem within xp64 environment.
    If anyone running windows xp64 or 32 bit or even windows 7 with raid 0 on Marvell please let me know haw fast you can transfer the file 4 gig to usb and if you have any issues.
    Any suggestion welcome.
    Thanks
    Adam

Default Re: X58A-UD3R problem using Winrar unpacking to USB drive

I am just amazed that you are managing to run a RAID0 array on the Marvell controller without it falling over or dropping the disks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mantis View Post
    I am just amazed that you are managing to run a RAID0 array on the Marvell controller without it falling over or dropping the disks.
    Apparently Gigabyte improve the latest bios rev. and driver.
    For me except issue with transfer to USB I'm happy with a transfer rate.
    How much more you can get using Intel controller?

X58A-UD3R problem using Winrar unpacking to USB drive-screenshot009-jpg
    Last edited by styr; 02-25-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

A LOT More, please see my review of Crucial C300, listed in my signature. I assume from your disk size listed in the above image you are not using SSD, that doesn't matter, the Intel controller will still be much faster than what you are showing in that image.

Yes, they have improved speeds a bit with new drivers and BIOS ROM's, but the controller itself still freezes and or drops drives, especially when used in RAID or anytime under heavy load (Like your USB Extract)

Sorry I didn't ask or notice you were using this controller earlier, this is the problem for sure.

Having nice full image of drive C with Raid 0 configurations and all needed software on it (now on Marvell controller) what will be the easiest way to transfer that image to ICH10R controller to have this working?
    This controller need his own drivers and will be a start up conflict. ?
    Maybe need to be modify some other .ini file as well.
    Thanks
    Adam

I forgot to mention My first partition is windows xp64 100gig and second is windows 7 100gig and the rest of the raid0 drive 450gig are 3 rd partition.
    I would like to keep it this way if possible.I did create full backup of the raid 0(all 3 drives+ MBR)so at any time I can reinstall single or all 3 drives If I need to recover.
    I will do all needed changes to be done and create a new one if someone put me on the right track.
    Thanks for all help
    Adam

ps.2 x 300 GB 10000 RPM VelociRaptor in Raid 0 under the Marvell controller.
    Last edited by styr; 02-26-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

There is no way to move between controllers with a RAID Setup, a clean install will be required.

Now, if you didn't have RAID and were just using AHCI or IDE you could simply move the drives, but since it's RAID each controller handles data differently so you can't just switch between them.

Sorry man, I know it sucks to hear, but you'll be much happier once you get it all done. And your USB wont stall on you either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    There is no way to move between controllers with a RAID Setup, a clean install will be required.

Now, if you didn't have RAID and were just using AHCI or IDE you could simply move the drives, but since it's RAID each controller handles data differently so you can't just switch between them.

Sorry man, I know it sucks to hear, but you'll be much happier once you get it all done. And your USB wont stall on you either.
    I was hoping to first maybe copy some extra drivers needed for Intel raid controller coping few files to example: windows\SysWOW64\drivers. After that make a windows backup and transfer to new 1st partition in to just a new build Raid0 on ICH10.
    That's realy saks if it is not possible since I did all 2 operating system so nice and input all my time.
    Thanks for all support.
    I will replay with results with new w OS or JUST STOP ME and say YES it possible !!!

Good morning,
    After all weekend testing I'm coming to conclusion it is not controller since Intel was having same problem with transferring large files to usb external HD.
    At 69-71% was hang for a minute freezing my system(only mouse was accessible)
    Please look at the picture.
    I did fresh install and load all needed motherboard supporting files and winrar and graphics card only.
    The only good thing for me about Intel is a slightly faster show by HD Tune(not much) you don't even notice the difference.
    In terms of unraring Marvell was much faster and I don't know why.138 rar files 50mb takes on Intel 6 min 40 sec(picture)
    and same 138 files on Marvell only 4 min to internal HD.
    But freezing it is same on both on USB.
    Maybe my Motherboard is defective?
    Question; if you look on the both performance tests you will see Burst rate a big difference between Intel and Marvell.
    What number is better lover or higher why is so big difference?
    The rest is almost same CPU usage is lower with Marvell 1%.
    I thinking to get new x58-UD3R and compare.Maybe someone replay to the post and tell me there experience with transferring Large files to usb on 64 bit xp(no hangs or having them) and the time how long will take to transfer 4gig chunk or larger. Did anyone try to load windows xp to Marvell controller ?
    I was having a lot of trouble from the beginning.
    I have to reload manually Marvell controller driver in to windows directory after first reboot after blue dead screen.
    After that I was able to finish loading the windows.No problem with Intel Raid.
    Maybe that's one of defects of my motherboard.If someone shere with me there experience with seating up win xp on Marvell as well.
    If I'm only one having this problem with loading windows to Marvell then maybe the USB is defective as well.
    Thanks
    AdamX58A-UD3R problem using Winrar unpacking to USB drive-capture-intel-plus-marvell-jpg
    Last edited by styr; 03-03-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Hi everyone,
    More test done now with negative results.
    I borough new UD3R board from my neighbor and did same test with fresh install windows and loading windows xp64 bit from scratch.
    Loading windows xp was same problem,after first reboot blue screen and have to manually add Marvell Raid drivers to windows\system32 directory.Then I was able to finish loading windows xp.
    I guess the drivers getting corrupted by loading from floppy drive. ????

USB transfer files same situation go nice and very quickly to 70% and stop for a 1min and continue.
    I did also test of Marvell Raid and surprisingly the average speed was only 180Mb/s.
    So slowly I'm giving up.
    If you look on the comparison of Intel and Marvell Raid in previous post please explain me the large difference in BURST RATE (Marvell155.1mb/s) ---- ( Intel 4430.4 Mb/s).
    Why is so big difference and what is better?
    Thanks
    Adam

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information