Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: eSata problem on my new GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 board.

flyfisher is offline Member

Default Re: eSata problem on my new GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 board.

Happy to be of assistance, glad you got it sorted out. I don't use any 6Gb/s drives so I don't know how helpful I can be. I have read that the Marvell firmware/drivers aren't the best, and unless you have a 6Gb/s SSD there isn't any point.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
    Happy to be of assistance, glad you got it sorted out. I don't use any 6Gb/s drives so I don't know how helpful I can be. I have read that the Marvell firmware/drivers aren't the best, and unless you have a 6Gb/s SSD there isn't any point.
    Thx flyfisher... When I ordered the parts for this system, one of the things I wanted was a large (by today's standards) HD that was as fast as possible, with the largest cache available. The one I selected was a WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s drive. It had very favorable reviews on NewEgg.

After the order was placed, I did some more reading of threads here-and-there and was a bit discouraged by what is being said about 6Gb/s SATA drives and their "real life" performance. I saw that most people were using their 6Gb/s controllers for SSD drives, as you mention above. It was after reading all this and then building the system, that I decided to use the standard Intel controller set in IDE mode for my drives.

I'm not at all upset that I purchased a 6Gb/s drive, since the cost of all 1Tb drives is low, that's no big deal. I'm just wondering if you don't use these because you have determined they don't give significant performance over non-6Gb/s drives ?

And since we have exactly the same board, I'm wondering if you have OC'd yours?

6Gb/s drives weren't really available when I built my system, I never even looked at them. I use three WD 640's that were pretty darn fast in their day, and still are to me. If you look at reviews 6Gb/s spindle drives don't give much, if any, advantage over 3Gb/s drives. The exception of course would be an SSD, or perhaps a couple drives in RAID 0. I don't think a single 7200 rpm drive can even saturate 3Gb/s. The P67 chipset for Sandy Bridge now has 6Gb/s native, and the upcoming X68 for LGA 2011 will too, and should offer better performance than the add-on Marvell chip. Manufacturers put this on boards and said "Hey look, SATA3!" like it was some big deal but in reality it wasn't, at least not to me.

The same with USB3. Sure its faster than USB2, but how many devices use it so far? Like you I use an eSATA docking station. It is much faster than USB2, and benchmarks I saw show it to be still slightly better than USB3. I was at Microcenter recently and saw my dock on sale for $15. The USB3 version was $45. Guess which one I bought.

Yes I have my system overclocked, see my sig. I can help you with that if you'd like too. LSDMEASAP has BIOS templates in his sig, I can post my settings to give you an idea of what to do. Bear in mind each system is different despite similar parts and will overclock differently.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher
    If you look at reviews 6Gb/s spindle drives don't give much, if any, advantage over 3Gb/s drives... Manufacturers put this on boards and said "Hey look, SATA3!" like it was some big deal but in reality it wasn't, at least not to me..
    Pretty much exactly what I've read in other threads, which is why mine is on the Intel controller for stability...

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher
    . I was at Microcenter recently..
    Interesting you mentioned Microcenter... I worked for them for 11 years...

Yes I have my system overclocked, see my sig. I can help you with that if you'd like too. LSDMEASAP has BIOS templates in his sig, I can post my settings to give you an idea of what to do. Bear in mind each system is different despite similar parts and will overclock differently.
    I really appreciate your offer to assist me in OC'n a bit, as I'm very new to the concept.
    I used EastTune 6 (latest version) and chose the "Middle" OC option which displayed no problems, but when I booted this morning I got a Bios message that there was a problem of some kind related to OC'ing. I hit continue and all seems normal, but I didn't like the message much since I hadn't changed anything on my own.

I'm assuming that you would never use EasyTune, but would prefer to make all your own settings...

This system will be used almost exclusively for video editing and rendering, so I'd like to OC it a bit, but not max or even near that. I need for it to be stable and cool....

Here's what I have for components:

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2
    Intel Core i7-950
    G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit
    SAPPHIRE Toxic Radeon HD 5850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video
    ASUS DRW-24B1STSATA 24X DVD Burner
    WD Caviar WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HD x2
    CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler

What is the exact model of your GSkill? Or at least the timings at 1600? Does it have an XMP profile? Also, what is your power supply?
    Last edited by flyfisher; 02-23-2011 at 10:06 AM.

What is the exact model of your GSkill? Or at least the timings at 1600? Does it have an XMP profile? Also, what is your power supply?
    Hi flyfisher,

The GSkill RAM is F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ and NewEgg's tech specs show 9-9-9-24. Here's the GSkill link:

G.SKILL-Products

AS for an XMP profile... Sorry flyfisher, but until5 mins ago (when I googled XMP Profile) I had no idea what it was - and I have no idea if it has one...

PSU is Thermaltake TR2 RX V2.2 850W

Thermaltakeusa**Power Supply**600W - 850W**Black Widow 850W : Black Widow 850W W0319RU

Thx again for hold'in my hand on this...

Hi grindy,

JEDEC RAM specs don't go up to DDR3 1600, so it is set by XMP programmed in the memory, much like the JEDEC SPD is. I found a screen shot of the CPU-Z SPD tab for your memory and it indeed has an XMP profile for DDR3 1600, so I'd advise you to use it. My GSkill runs great using XMP.

Will post later with a template for you to try at 160 x 23 for a decent 3680 MHz overclock. No problem helping you out with this.

Hi grindy,

JEDEC RAM specs don't go up to DDR3 1600, so it is set by XMP programmed in the memory, much like the JEDEC SPD is. I found a screen shot of the CPU-Z SPD tab for your memory and it indeed has an XMP profile for DDR3 1600, so I'd advise you to use it. My GSkill runs great using XMP..
    As much as I hate to admit it, I've been involved in tech support for Windows based systems for over 25 yrs now and have built 3 for myself, but never before have I felt the need to do any OC'ing - so all of this is new to me.

When you say "My GSkill runs great using XMP", I'm afraid I don't understand how XMP is "implemented" for RAM. I would, however, enjoy learning more about the "physical" side of PC's - which is where we are heading. I do feel the need to "reiterate" my desire to "modestly" OC this system to gain higher than normal performance without overly worrying about frying components.

Is there a way to monitor temps of RAM, or is it anything I need to be concerned about. I do use CoreTemp to monitor my Intel cores. (This will become a "teaching" thread for you, so I hope you don't mind that. I absolutely do appreciate you taking the time to educate me). Oh, and I did download/install CPU-Z....

Will post later with a template for you to try at 160 x 23 for a decent 3680 MHz overclock. No problem helping you out with this.
    Great...

XMP is programmed into the memory like serial presence detect, SPD is. When you choose XMP it sets the timings just like AUTO would set the SPD timings. OK, now on to the OC'ing. Try these settings it should work. I took pix of the BIOS screens, it's easier than a template. My maximum multiplier is 22, you will want to use 23. When you get into the BIOS set XMP first as it will cause other settings to default and you will have to change them again. First up is advanced frequency settings.

Next up is advanced CPU core features. We are going to enable C1e and EIST to drop the frequency and voltage down when the CPU is not under load.

Next, the memory. Set the 9-9-9-24 timings and leave the rest on Auto. Set command rate to 1. Don't forget channels B and C.

Finally voltages. Don't leave anything on AUTO. Set CPU Vcore to normal and use dynamic vcore (DVID) to add voltage. When used with C1E and EIST it will run at lower frequency and voltage until under load, then run the normal or stock Vcore for your CPU, plus what you add with DVID. For example, normal setting may give you 1.25 Vcore. But you may need a bit more for your OC so you add +0.025 volts DVID = 1.275 Vcore under load. This is just a starting point and you may need more or less to be stable. Just keep an eye on your temps and you'll be fine. You might be able to lower QPI voltage too, it can take a bit of fiddling around but that's the fun of it to me. Good luck let me know how you make out.
    Edit: at idle it will run at 160x12=1920 MHz and probably around 1.0-1.05 volts. My 930 is at 211x12=2532, 1.14 Volts idle, goes to 211x19=4009 at 1.28 volts. Saves a little wear and tear on the CPU.
    Last edited by flyfisher; 02-24-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added idle info

@flyfisher:

It's gonna take me some time tomorrow to digest all you've given me..... How did you learn all this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information