Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: eSata problem on my new GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 board.

Question eSata problem on my new GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 board.

Hi all,

Just finished building my new system and (no doubt because of my ignorance of most things eSata) I can't seem to get my external drive recognised off the back panel eSATA/USB combo connector.

Here's my setup:

GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 board
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Thermaltake BlacX Duet eSata Dock
    WD 500g Sata HD in dock above.

Bios settings:
    eSATA controller [Enabled]
    eSATA Controller Mode [ACHI]

What am I missing... ?

flyfisher is offline Member

Default Re: eSata problem on my new GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 board.

Have you installed the Jmicron driver? Get it here ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Con...WHQL_eSATA.zip

Edit: Forgot to ask, with the dock powered on, when you boot is the drive detected by the jmicron bios?
    Last edited by flyfisher; 02-19-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
    Have you installed the Jmicron driver? Get it here ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Con...WHQL_eSATA.zip

Edit: Forgot to ask, with the dock powered on, when you boot is the drive detected by the jmicron bios?
    Thx flyfisher... I used the MB CD that came with the board, but I can't remember if the Jmicron drivers were installed. (Somewhere in the back of my head I thought that the Jmicron drivers were for GSATA, but probably wrong).

Anyway, how would I go about determining if the Jmicron drivers are installed and what version they are?

Go into device manager and locate "storage controllers" Double click it to expand the tree. There should be a device "JMicron JMB36x Controller". Double click it and click the Driver tab. The driver version will be listed, if one is installed. Question though, is the hard drive detected when booting, and has it ever been formatted or is it a new drive?

Last edited by flyfisher; 02-19-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Go into device manager and locate "storage controllers" Double click it to expand the tree. There should be a device "JMicron JMB36x Controller". Double click it and click the Driver tab. The driver version will be listed, if one is installed. Question though, is the hard drive detected when booting, and has it ever been formatted or is it a new drive?

Ahhhh... Device Manager has NO entry for "Storage Controllers", which seems to answer the question as to whether I had installed the Jmicron drivers (apparently I didn't). As for your other question, I tried a couple of different SATA drives in this external hub and it didn't see either of them (both had been formatted NTFS).

I think it's time for me to install the Jmicron drivers.... and I'll get back to you after I do that.

In looking at the Gigabyte CD that came with the MB, I can't seem to find anything regarding Jmicron at all. I do see that I elected to install the Marvell IDE/ACHI driver when I set up the system.

I know that the X58A pdf manual mentions the Jmicron in conjunction with the eSATA connectors and the Marvell in conjunction with the GSATA connectors.

Am I missing the Jmicron drivers on the CD or what's going on.

The bios page regarding the eSATA connectors says:
    Enables or disables the SATA controller integrated in the JMicron JMB362 chip. (Default: Enabled)

Shouldn't the drivers for the JMicron chip be included on the CD that Gigabyte ships with this (very popular) board? I can't be the only one that wants to utilize the eSATA connectors on the back of this MB...

The drivers are there, Gigabyte just doesn't call them JMicron. I never use the manufacturer supplied drivers anyways since they are usually older than currently available on the web. Use the link I gave you above for the latest.

The drivers are there, Gigabyte just doesn't call them JMicron. I never use the manufacturer supplied drivers anyways since they are usually older than currently available on the web. Use the link I gave you above for the latest.
    Hi flyfisher,
    Sorry for the delay in responding, just got back in town. Used your link and downloaded the drivers, but haven't installed them yet - before we talk (hopefully).

In all my readings about things eSATA, gSATA and Intel controllers, I want to make sure I understand what I'm doing before I "plunge in".

After reading bilbat's "Gigabyte Guide" over on Tom'sHardware (where I found the link to TweakTown btw) he talks about things "SATA" that, frankly, are somewhat over-my-head currently.
    In the link:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275856-30-gigabyte-guide he talks about difficultys encountered when ACHI is activated AFTER an OS is installed. Now, having said that, this may not pertain to my situation - which I'll explain now - and hope that you can straighten me out.

I just finish building this system and when I did my initial BIOS settings I set the ICH SATA Controller Mode to [IDE]. As I understand it, this board has 3 "sets" of SATA controllers. The 3 Blue internal SATA connectors are the Intel controlled, the 2 White are Gigabyte controlled, and the external eSATA connectors are controlled by the JMicron controllers - correct?

The bios option mentioned above (ICH SATA Controller Mode) refers to the "state" of the Intel Controller for the 3 Blue internal SATA connectors, right? I set it to IDE initially since I had no need to use RAID for my internal drives, and no need to "hot swap" internally as using ACHI would give me, so IDE seemed to be the proper choice - and the Intel controlled Blue connectors are what I'm using for both my internal drives.

If my thinking (above) is correct, these 3 "controllers" operate independently of each other. If this is correct, then setting the eSATA Controller to [ACHI] should have no effect on either of the other 2 controllers, correct?

And finally, is it necessary to install the JMicron drivers from a floppy boot? I hope not, since I'll have to buy one (no big deal, they're cheap) and the ribbon cable and it's sort of a pain to have to do.

Thank you for your kind assistance.... :)

The white Intel SATA ports are 0-5. The white Gigabyte SATA 6-7 are SATA 6Gb/s, controlled by the Marvell chipset. If you don't have SATA 6Gb/s drives disable this in the BIOS. The second set of white Gigabyte SATA 8-9 are controlled by another Jmicron chip. Again, disable this in BIOS if you are not using these ports.

You are correct in your post above. The controllers are independent. You want your internal drives on the blue Intel ports. IDE is OK for your internal drives, but if you were to use an SSD then you should use AHCI. Setting the eSATA controller to AHCI has no effect on the others. You can install the driver directly in Windows.

First let's make sure the eSATA is actually working. It is helpful to disable the Gigabyte splash screen so you can see what is going on. With a drive in the dock and it powered on, boot the computer. At some point you see should be the Jmicron BIOS screen detecting the drive in the dock.

If it's not detecting the drive, check the eSATA cable, the power brick for the dock, and make sure you turned it on. Not trying to be a smarta$$ but it happens. Is it a combo eSATA/USB dock? I had a Thermaltake external enclosure that had a tiny switch that you had to select which connection you were using. Just throwing out ideas here. Post what you try/find.
    Last edited by flyfisher; 02-21-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher
    The white Intel SATA ports are 0-5. The white Gigabyte SATA 6-7 are SATA 6Gb/s, controlled by the Marvell chipset. If you don't have SATA 6Gb/s drives disable this in the BIOS. The second set of white Gigabyte SATA 8-9 are controlled by another Jmicron chip. Again, disable this in BIOS if you are not using these ports.
    Excellent advice, I disabled the unused controllers.

You are correct in your post above. The controllers are independent. You want your internal drives on the blue Intel ports. IDE is OK for your internal drives, but if you were to use an SSD then you should use AHCI. Setting the eSATA controller to AHCI has no effect on the others. You can install the driver directly in Windows.
    Great, exactly what I hoped you'd say...

First let's make sure the eSATA is actually working. It is helpful to disable the Gigabyte splash screen so you can see what is going on. With a drive in the dock and it powered on, boot the computer. At some point you see should be the Jmicron BIOS screen detecting the drive in the dock.
    After installing the JMicron drivers (under Win7 btw), shutting down, re-connecting the ThermalTake dock with SATA drive in slot - the next boot shows EXACTLY as you said. The drive is now seen properly upon boot showing the Jmicron info, and Win7 see's it perfectly. Win7's "Safely Remove" allows me to dump it on-the-fly so the ACHI part is perfect.

I can't thank you enough. You were the only one who really tried to help me get past this on both the Tom'sHardware and TweekTown forums and I am very gratefull.

And while I have your ear, may I ask you a question about using "6Gb/s" drives?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information