Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB 3 HDD messing up sleep

Default Re: USB 3 HDD messing up sleep

I removed the Renesas drivers and utilities and rebooted and re-installed and I still have no power options for Renesas devices. I don't know why?

Thanks for your help.

Maybe you can answer my other issue with this motherboard: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...s-up-bios.html

I just noticed that in your device manager you have 2 sets of 3 Renesas devices (Host Controller, Root Hub, Hub), where I only have one set and it is Host Controller and Root Hub. If the power options are only on your Hub, then that is the device my MB doesn't even have. Maybe you have more USB3 ports on your MB. My MB only has 2 USB3 ports.

Does your MB have all USB3 ports or maybe 8 of them?

I found out some more information. If I remove my Ceton InfiniTV 4 tuner card, the USB 3.0 sleep works fine. The devices (USB 3.0 controller and Ceton tuner) don't show any conflicts in the device manager but don't seem to work together.

I built the HTPC just for this tuner card and there is no other card available that is anything like it. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to resolve issues like this? Which device is causing the issue?

For now I have disabled the USB3.0 controller in the BIOS to prevent contention.
    Last edited by WhatHappend; 03-22-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

It must be some incompatibility issue with that card and the board?

Best you can do is contact GIGABYTE directly, let them know the exact issue and hardware specs, and see if they can get one of those cards for testing and correct the issue
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

If you are not using USB3 anyway, then you can just leave it disabled and that will be fine.

I have submitted the information to Gigabyte. I do need USB3 for faster backups to the USB3 external HDD I bought.

I have found 2 USB drivers that the tuner card installs that if removed fixes the issue. I have contacted Ceton about what these drivers are for and in what conditions they are needed.

Since the issue is solved when USB 2 drivers from the card are installed, it makes me think that cards drivers may be causing your issues.

Why does the Centon card install USB drivers anyway? I see you are asking them, sounds like a good idea. Does the card work without these drivers?

I have not gotten a reason for both of the USB drivers yet from Ceton (not Centon), but I think I found the real culprit that is causing these issues. I installed the drivers and utilities from the Gigabyte CD when I setup the motherboard and there appears to be one driver that causes this issue. If I remove gigabyte's on/off charge driver (GIGABYTE ON/OFF Charge), then the issue goes away. I can run the Ceton Tuner with all of its drivers and legacy USB and legacy storage modes with no USB3 sleep issues.

This makes lots of sense because this driver keeps power to the USB when the system is off so it must detect the S2,S3,S3,S5 commands and send something to the Hardware to keep power on the special USB port and the timing of this must collide with the actual sleep function.

I don't need this feature USB charging feature, so this is a good fix.

Lsdmeasap, thanks for your help!

Nice to see you found the issue man! You should send in a report on your findings to Ceton and GIGABYTE so they can try to work together to solve the issue for future customers.

I told both Ceton and Gigabyte about the findings. Ceton is a small company and this is their only public product currently so I would say they are not going to investigate the issue further (they closed my trouble ticket immediately). I would bet they will look for that driver in their diag. capture in the future though (they have a program that collects lots of information about your computer and installed software that help them diagnose issues with the tuner.)

Gigabyte responded this way:
    The driver should not cause this issue, we will have our team look into the driver regarding this issue.
    We do appreciate the feedback, let us know if there are any other questions
    Don't hold your breath on Gigabyte their previous relply was:
    If you wish for us to attempt and replicate the issue for you on our end we will need the card at our testing lab. Would you be willing to sending in the card for us to examine?
    The card is a $400 tuner plus about $40-$50 shipping and has been hard to get (looks like it is finally in stock as of yesterday through, after being on 3-4month backorder for a year.) I said I would not be willing to send mine to them (I use the card everyday, it records all cable TV shows on a central HTPC for viewing throughout the home via XBOX360 extenders).

You should ask Ceton if they would be willing to ship a card to GIGABYTE, that would be the only way they could test and see what the issue is caused by, I expected to hear that.

They probably asked you thinking it was a cheaper card than it really is, I'd expect Ceton would be able to send GIGABYTE a card for testing (Unless they don't care about their customers)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information