Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-P55A-UD3 won't boot past bios!! I'm out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!

Unhappy GA-P55A-UD3 won't boot past bios!! I'm out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!

INTEL CORE I7-870
    GA-P55A-UD3
    (4) 2GB ADATA DDR3 1600 1.65V / (2) 4GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR3 1600 1.5V
    XFX RADEON HD 6870
    ANTEC EARTHWATTS 500W / CORSAIR GS 600W

ISSUE: POWERS ON UNTIL IT REACHES BIOS LOGO SCREEN THEN IMMEDIATELY RESETS. REPEATS THIS PROCESS OVER AND OVER. GETS ONE BEEP ON THE SPEAKER (WHICH MEANS EVERYTHING IS GOOD). SMASHING ANY BUTTON ON THE KEYBOARD DOES NOTHING. FUNNY THING IS I DONT GET A BIOS SCREEN IF I DONT HAVE ANYTHING PLUGGED INTO THE USB PORTS, JUST BLACK DISPLAY.

Before I get started I would like to mention that have built several systems without a hitch and 2 previous custom water cooled systems. I planned to make this build water-cooled as well. This build is mainly for a mackintosh system in a modded Mac G5 case. I had to remove the innards from the power supply and they are mounted in the top of the case on neoprene spacers. Any short would result in obvious electrical failure with sparks and fireworks.. haha, so I'm sure I'm good there. I even went out and bought a corsair 600w PSU and it does the same thing. I had the system working previously on air with a Biostar board until I installed the water-cooling the bios got corrupted... not sure about how this happened. Recovery was a failure so I returned the board and bought this board and it does absolutely nothing. At this point I'm willing to give up the water and stick to air. *Attempted with stock coolers as well, will not boot* Also the CPU heat spreader is lapped, and it worked with the Biostar board just fine while the board was still working. Lapped means I wet sanded the top of the CPU with fine grit sandpaper. (read up on this, my CPU was extremely uneven. Very high in the middle) Took me about a hour and a half to sand it completely flat on a glass surface. Went all the way through the nickel plating to the copper. While it was running core temps were never more than 2c apart. Risky process, for all I know this time I might have jacked up my CPU... but it was working so I don't think its the processor.

THINGS I'VE TRIED:
    *Different power supplies
    *Both kinds of memory, in different slots and just one at a time
    *CPU power 4/8 pin
    *Bare minimum without GPU and it continues to reset
    *Stock cooler / water block on CPU and GPU
    *No power button connected, jumped the pins with screw-driver
    *Reset CMOS after every attempt to fix
    *Held power button in for 20 sec with power unplugged
    *GPU in second PCI-E slot
    *Reseated CPU

This just doesn't make any sense to me. I get the one short beep so that means system boots successful according to the manual. Removing either the RAM or the GPU gives the appropriate beeps. Either this board is crap or it hates my CPU. The only things I haven't tried are a different video card or a different processor. I'm limited on video cards at the moment as I use a 24" Apple cinema display and it uses the mini display port for connection. Processor I think I'm stuck with, I don't know anyone with a spare 1156 CPU laying around to test. If I RMA this board it will be the second one after the Biostar Tpower i55. I'm tempted to get rid of everything. I've never had so many problems with a build like this. I even had a peltier cooled Athlon 64 that ran at 7c with all kinds of crazy insulation to prevent condensation. I miss the good old AMD dominant days. Anyway advice is welcome so leave a reply if you don't mind.

Default Re: GA-P55A-UD3 won't boot past bios!! I'm out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!

I decided to RMA the board for now. I learned a little about the board after reading into it some more. Even if I did get it to work when you use the SATA3 (6GBs) it reduces the PCI-E bandwidth speed which is crap. If you haven't read up on the new SSD's that are coming out with the Sandforce SF-2XXX series controllers then i suggest you take this into consideration if you ever plan on purchasing or upgrading to a SSD in the future.

OCZ Vertex 3 Preview: Faster and Cheaper than the Vertex 3 Pro - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

When I do decide to get a new mobo, what are some suggestions. Xfire and SLI are not of major concern.

Thread Information