Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: P55A-UD3R wont boot from USB

Default P55A-UD3R wont boot from USB

Hey,

so i made a bootable windows 7 usb for installation, i tested it on other machines and it worked perfectly.

I tried it on my main desktop with the gigabyte MB and tried booting it from there, but with no luck. Legacy and all usb options were enabled by default, ive tried booting from every usb option USB-HDD, USB-FDD ect.

Put the usb in different usb slots tried the usb with fat32 and ntfs with no luck, have performed basically every different type of way to create a bootable disk from dos to windows to third party apps.

the bios are from 2009 so i dont see why it wouldnt be able to read a usb stick, the usb stick is only 8GB so its not some new large capacity usb.

Any help would be great thanks

Default Re: P55A-UD3R wont boot from USB

Check the boot order in the BIOS menu, is the 1st boot device the USB HDD/FDD?
    Your BIOS is quite old (version F1?), the latest BIOS is F6 (2010/8/24) on Gigabyte website, i suggest you can try update to F6 BIOS.

1sr boot device is usb-hdd 2nd is usb-fdd and third is hard-drive.

bios are a bit old from 2009 but didnt think they could be that old that they wouldnt
    detect the usb considering my older laptop detected it no problem.

i guess its worth a try, just dont want to brick the motherboard

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Please set your 1, 2, 3 boot device order back to normal setting (IE Hard drive, then CD, then Disabled - that is what I use).

Then to boot from USB press F12 on startup to get the boot menu, when you normally would hit Del to enter the BIOS.

Once on the boot menu screen go to HDD+ and hit enter, then on the next screen you will see your USB Device by name or generic USB, you should recognize it and which are your normal hard drives.

Choose the USB and it will boot to USB if the drive is boot ready and compatible, that is the only way I know that works to boot from USB.

If you just need to update the BIOS you can use Qflash, the USB Stick does not need to be bootable and you do not have to boot to it, just enter Qflash from the BIOS via F8 or at startup via END key.

i updated the bios and it read, seems like it was only reading fat coz i put the bios file on that drive and updated it from there. Read the fat32 usb straight after.

strange why it wouldnt read it before as the bios were only 2009

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to see it's working now!

It was probably either a BIOS bug, or compatibility for your particular USB stick had not been added into the older BIOS is all.

Thread Information