Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-G41MT-D3/rev1.3 DPC latency issues

Default GA-G41MT-D3/rev1.3 DPC latency issues

First of all I would like to say "Hello!" to all TweakTown's members.
    This is my first thread in here. Unfortunately I've subscribed in here because of an issue with a particular gigabyte motherboard.

My system specs:
    -----------------------
    MB: GA-G41MT-D3/rev1.3 with BIOS version F1, the only one available for this mainboard;
    CPU: Intel E3400, 2.6Ghz, running at stock;
    RAM: DDR III 2x2GB @1333Mhz, Kingston, they are running at 800MHZ;
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5750, 512MB DDR5, running at stock HD5750 frequencies;
    HDD: WD Green 500GB, 5400rpm;
    PSU: ThermalTake 470W;

*no other add-on cards;
    *the integrated GPU(x4500) is disabled from BIOS;
    *the PSU is not an issue. I've allready tested the system with a Cooler Master gx-550w. The results are the same. The motherboard is relatively new, released in q3 2010 I believe.
    -----------------------

It took me about 4 hours to start figure out and to try the DPC Latency Checker app. I would like to mention that this is not my first encounter with the DPC latency issue.
    The first time it was back in 2003 with a EPOX mainboard. The problem was caused by the integrated ps/2 keyboard port.
    -----------------------

Problem: constant random audio-video stuttering when running 3d or CPU intensive applications.
    Fix: nothing that I could find so far. This is in fact the reason off my thread. I would like to know if there are other owners out there experiencing this issue and if someone has found a fix for this.
    Cause / Conclusion: It seems to me that the Intel c1E and EIST are causing this since turning on and off this features(from the BIOS) it seriously affects the readings with the DPC latency apps. However turning them off it doesn't fix this issue. This are the main reasons why I suspect / blame the mainboard(maybe the BIOS).

I have tried pretty much everything that I could think of:
    - Windows 7 x64 stock drivers for all the components;
    - Turning on and off all(the ones that I could turn off) the devices from Device Manager;
    - Turning every integrated component that I could turn off from the BIOS(including the serial ports);

Test 1:
    BIOS reset to defaults;
    All C states where disabled from within the BIOS, Except EIST which was enabled.
    Result:
    DPC latency above 4000 micro secs encountered very often with the DPC app, even when web surfing.

Test 2:
    BIOS reset to defaults;
    All C states where disabled from within the BIOS, Except C1E which was enabled.
    Result:
    DPC latency of 2600 micro secs encountered very often but only when running CPU intensive apps like 3d games. Audio-video stuttering is still present.

Test 3:
    BIOS reset to defaults;
    All C states where disabled from within the BIOS(including EIST).
    Result:
    DPC latency of 2600 micro secs encountered very often but only when running CPU intensive apps like 3d games. Audio-video stuttering is still present. Same results as Test number 2.

I would like to mention that this issue is very hard to figure out. It took me about 10 hours(a few days) to figure out the reason for these. I didn't do a google search before starting up(my bad).
    I couldn't find a fix for this. Audio-video stuttering seriously affects the user's experience and I believe that it should be a priority for every MB manufacturer. There is no reason for running a constant 60 FPS at any resolution if you encounter often random sound/FPS drops because of this issue. Currently there is only one BIOS version for this mobo, so my hands are tied up.

I've already sent an email to gigabyte global technical support last night. My intention is not to RMA the product. The system is bulletproof stable as it is(running almost 24/7 since it was bought), but I consider this issue as being a priority since it seriously affects user's experience.

Thank you for your concern! I'm waiting for a fix. Thanks in advance!

Partial proof, later edit:
    Attachment 3325 screen capture with EIST ON.
    This screen was taken with EIST ON because that's were the red vertical lines are more abundant. A 480p youtube video was running in the background.
    For the other states("C1E ON"-2 or "Cx And EIST OFF"-3) I need to specifically run demanding apps like Crysis or Bioshock and keep DPC Latency Checker running in the background in order to record the red lines with DPC. But the behavior is the same. Audio-video distortion is present in all the above tests(1,2,3), even if the readings with DPC are better for the tests number 2 and 3.
    Last edited by blue_sun; 03-16-2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: added screen

Default Re: GA-G41MT-D3/rev1.3 DPC latency issues

Are you running easytune or dynamic energy saving software?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's my mistake. I apologize. I forgot to mention that I've installed only the drivers(on every built, this is my own) because I do not trust everything else that comes with the mobo's CD/DVD. The system was tested with the default Win 7 x64 Pro drivers, with the ones included on the mb's DVD and with their latest version available from their manufacture's. However this should not mater, since disabling all of them(LAN, audio, various serial ports) equals the same result as with or without the drivers.

Once again, my bad for not mentioning this since I've already read all that I could find on this forum regarding DPC latency quite late after trying to figure it out on my own.

Chike is offline Senior Member

"BIOS Reset to defalts" is optimized or safe? Generally optimized defaults are recommanded.
    Try MCH Core 1.2v, I've had stuttering issues that were result of memory issues.
    BTW why is the memory running only at 800?

Regarding M.I.T., there is almost no difference between Optimal and Failsafe on this MB. OC features are not taken into account since I don't do OC, I'm not an OC fan, I never were.

The memory type is DDR3 and it's rated at 1333Mhz, but it runs at 800Mhz because of the CPU and of the FSB. That's how it is detected by the MB's BIOS, that is how it runs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the memory. Memtest ran for 12 hours exactly after the built and before installing the OS. In fact, the exact module(2Xidentical) is present on the gigabyte's memory support list for this MB. That's how I test and choose the components for every built of mine. That's how I encourage everyone to do. You should understand that I'm not a newbie.

The system was bought last year(november) and I assembled it myself. It ran for hundreds of hours 24/7 and it is still running 24/7 with very good temps reported for the CPU, NB and GPU and it stays off for very shorts periods of time. No hardware reset, nothing, just a few intentionally system restarts. The high DPC latency has nothing to do with the stability of the system, nor with the memory settings.

Chike is offline Senior Member

memtest may run days without detecting a problem if it's not a direct memory issue.
    Have you ran Prime95 blend test?.

@Chike
    Everything runs at stock. It has always been running at stock.
    I constantly run at least 2 Virtual Machines on it, 3D games now and then. It runs 24/7, I turn off the PC only 6-7 hours a month. That's reliable enough for me. Running Prime under this conditions it is just a complete waste of time and energy.

High DPC latency is just not a direct cause of system reliability. What bothers me is just that I cannot get rid of it. It is especially annoying when sound freezes up and then starts back again, all this combined with FPS drops.
    What's interesting is that only when EIST is enabled, DPC readings get off the charts(the graph is full of red lines) at minimum CPU usage(idle). When all power states are disabled or when only C1e is enabled, the readings stay below the 500us mark, but when cpu usage increases they go off the charts again.

This should be very easy to replicate by any owner of this motherboard.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Please send in a report here, maybe they will test for DPC issues and correct in future BIOS release as it is probably BIOS related
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

I've already sent an email at that address on Sunday. It is still marked as unread.
    Thank you all for your concern / suggestions! I will be coming back when/if anything changes.

You can eliminate the use of c1e by disabling it in the bios and selecting balanced power saving profile in Windows power options,the cpu still throttles when idle but with less or no dpc,atleast it does on my machine,another culprit is easytune and des software but you don't have those installed,I would update to the very latest Intel inf chipset drivers and LAN drivers too found on tweaktown/gigabyte/ocing tools page,they are newer than those on gigabyte site
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information