Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GigaByte GA-X38T-DQ6 - cannot get to BIOS at all after settings changes!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GigaByte GA-X38T-DQ6 - cannot get to BIOS at all after settings changes!

I agree, now that you mention it was trying to recover the BIOS this is the problem.

Please try these things now. First, try to start the board with only one stick of the old memory, and no hard drives or anything else connected, but do connect a CD/DVD drive either to master IDE or the first Intel SATA Slot, then start the board and see if it will recover from the motherboard Driver CD if you have it. If not, skip that as that is the only way this will work.

You can manually invoke the dual BIOS recovery, do this also with one stick of the old memory.

It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents of the BACKUP BIOS.

This is a simple and easy method for anyone to try before having to resort to other more difficult methods, or a RMA.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
    2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
    3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
    4. The board will shut down.
    5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
    6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.

Now you are done, and will be using whatever BIOS was in your BACKUP BIOS, From there you can attempt whatever you were previously trying, or update your BIOS to the latest version.
    Taken from here, with other recovery options. Sometimes this is tricky to time, so keep trying it until you get it just right, it will work if the board is recoverable.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html

If not Gigabyte has 3 year warranty from date of manufacturer, or purchase if you can prove that was later via receipt (US & Canada only)

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GigaByte GA-X38T-DQ6 - cannot get to BIOS at all after settings changes!

--GIGABYTE--How does Quad BIOS work?
    LOL, can this actually work?
    Do you see any activity on the CD?
    Not sure how the backup BIOS image should be burnt in the CD-ROM.

[QUOTE=Lsdmeasap;387980]I agree, now that you mention it was trying to recover the BIOS this is the problem.

Please try these things now. First, try to start the board with only one stick of the old memory, and no hard drives or anything else connected, but do connect a CD/DVD drive either to master IDE or the first Intel SATA Slot, then start the board and see if it will recover from the motherboard Driver CD if you have it. If not, skip that as that is the only way this will work.
    That did not work. But is that driver CD even a 'bootable' CD? (Must admit, I've never tried to boot from it. Don't even use those drivers, as we don't use Windows!)

For that matter, the POST never even progresses to a point at which the monitor 'syncs' up - as would be evidenced by my monitor light turning green. It does get to the point of 'video sync' perhaps 1 out of 50 restarts, but never stays running long enough to draw anything on the monitor. The BIOS screens are never visible!

You can manually invoke the dual BIOS recovery, do this also with one stick of the old memory.
    I've tried that, too - I never get to any point at which monitor is even visible.

Some of those other recovery processes will never apply to us, because:
    1) The machine never gets to the point of addressing the hard drive
    2) We don't use Windows!
    3) So there will be no 'hidden blocks' on our hard drive(s)

If not Gigabyte has 3 year warranty from date of manufacturer, or purchase if you can prove that was later via receipt (US & Canada only)
    Is the date of manufacture printed on the board somewhere?
    GIGABYTE determines warranty based on the manufacture date. The manufacture date can be verified by the serial number found on the product. The first four digits after "SN" determine the year and week of manufacturing date. For example:

"4719331822101 SN082540084966" represents the 25th week of 2008
    Can you guys point me to the RMA process? I think this is in my future, and I gotta move on it fast. Board is certainly less than 3 yrs since purchase - must now search for receipts.

Chike:
    Do you see any activity on the CD?
    Only that its green power light comes on; I don't see any evidence of read activity. I don't see how the CD-ROM would even be addressed, much less booted from, if I can't even get to BIOS. How could I even change the Boot Device selection?
    Not sure how the backup BIOS image should be burnt in the CD-ROM.
    Last edited by DrLou; 03-17-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: answered part of my own question...
    GA-P67A-UD7-D3 Rev. 1.0 F3
    Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) F3-17000CL9Q-16GBXLD
    Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3870 512 MB GDDR4 PCIe (ML30 3870 PE4512SB)
    Corsair TX 750W PSU

It's not meant to be a bootable CD, and no it's not either. Sorry I didn't explain that, it's has a copy of a BIOS on it, and if recovery is kicking it then it will scan it, but as you say it's not so we can move on.

As for the method to invoke dual BIOS recovery, what are you saying monitor for? Did you try what I said, if not please do several times until you think you've gave it enough chances and timed it just right and it's not working, the monitor would only be involved once it had it's chance to work. Windows, or hard drive is not involved either, and you can remove the hard drive if you like, this method invokes the backup BIOS and that is what it recovers from.

I'll send you a PM with further details on another option you have before RMA.

If the info in my PM does not help you, here is where you setup a RMA
    RMA

Please do not give up on the PM info though, that has saved hundreds of users from RMA over the years I've been helping here, and I have used it plenty of times myself at various times because it was required and for testing on various boards for users.

It DOES WORK, if you do it correctly and the board is not a dead! Good Luck!

As for the method to invoke dual BIOS recovery, what are you saying monitor for?
    Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin.
    I was just making the point that the monitor never 'syncs', so I NEVER see a splash screen - nor a POST screen - nor an Auto-Recovery page... Nothing at all ever gets painted to the monitor...
    GA-P67A-UD7-D3 Rev. 1.0 F3
    Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) F3-17000CL9Q-16GBXLD
    Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3870 512 MB GDDR4 PCIe (ML30 3870 PE4512SB)
    Corsair TX 750W PSU

Ahh ok, thanks for clarifying about the monitor. That doesn't matter though, the info I sent you would not be the same as how you are trying now, you will be booting from the other BIOS so if it is a BIOS issue and you do the method correctly you will get the splash screen and be able to continue with my instructions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information