Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GigaByte GA-X38T-DQ6 - cannot get to BIOS at all after settings changes!

Default GigaByte GA-X38T-DQ6 - cannot get to BIOS at all after settings changes!

Wow! Have been trying to set memory timings/voltages to get a new pair of sticks working...

(Had successfully been running this mobo, with a Q6600 at 3.6 GHz with good timings! Yeah!)

Now, I suddenly cannot even get to the BIOS POST or setup screens. Just beeps and resets, repeatedly.

How to get running again? Help!
    Last edited by DrLou; 03-17-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GigaByte GA-X38T-DQ6 - cannot get to BIOS at all after settings changes!

Tried to clear CMOS yet? If not please read the second part of this post.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GigaByte GA-X38T-DQ6 - cannot get to BIOS at all after settings changes!

Yes, clear CMOS and try again.

If you continue to have issues try with one stick until you get it going again.

How many beeps? If it's many fast multiple beeps, then it's usually tRD is set to low (Static tRead Value)

Tks, Chike. I did try to clear CMOS, but perhaps not long enough. Will let it sit the full 20 mins. Tks for your reply!

If that does not help, please try overnight while you sleep, with either the PSU unplugged from the board, or unplug it from the wall then drain all the on-board power by pressing and holding the case power on button for a minute.

Then remove the battery and put a jumper on the clear CMOS pins, then go to sleep and try in the morning or next day when you get home. Sometimes it does take overnight, not sure why or how that's different as it shouldn't be, but it is true.

lsdmeasap: Tks for your replies - I have tried everything so far except the overnight-with-power-connector-unplugged approach. That will be tonight.

I hope something works! Is this situation usually recoverable - or occasionally disastrous?

On the memory itself: I've been trying to incorporate two new sticks of G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 Mhz DDR3 - at the same speeds and settings, and this is what started all the problems. Should these sticks be workable?

Or am I crazy to try mixing sticks? (Can't find exactly the same Wintecs any more).
    ------------------------
    OK, have left the machine unplugged most of the day - 6+ hours at least, and mobo power plug unplugged, battery out and jumper jumper'd, attempted a restart again. No Joy!

Now getting scared. Even without any memory in it, what should the behavior be? Are there any diagnostic leds on this mobo?
    Last edited by DrLou; 03-17-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: recent update
    GA-P67A-UD7-D3 Rev. 1.0 F3
    Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) F3-17000CL9Q-16GBXLD
    Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3870 512 MB GDDR4 PCIe (ML30 3870 PE4512SB)
    Corsair TX 750W PSU

Ya, don't mix sticks right now since you are having issues. Did the new set ever work? Are the Red?

If you have old memory try it for now, if not try the G.Skills, but either way only use one stick in the first and or second slot from the CPU.

With no memory installed the board will not start, same with dead memory. No LED's that can really help, do you have a case speaker connected still? If so are you getting anymore beeps?

Please try the board out of the case, and OFF the motherboard tray. Put it on a wooden table, or a cardboard box, NOT on a anti-static bag. Then connect ONLY the CPU/Heatsink, once stick of memory, and a GFX Card, nothing else.

Also try another GFX card if you have one, PCIE or PCIE, just in case your current one is causing issues.

LSDmeASAP (Yes, that's how I feel, too):

OK, thanks for sticking with this; I am really following your suggestions to 'the letter'. After an overnight with everything disconnected, battery out, the clear CMOS jumper applied, and with the battery connector shorted for a few seconds, STILL no restart with one memory stick installed.

Ya, don't mix sticks right now since you are having issues. Did the new set ever work? Are the Red?
    No, the new set (Red G.Skill RipJaws) have never worked - it was fiddling with these which got me into this mess! So it's possible one or both sticks are defective.

In any case, for the moment, am only teseting with the older, proven working Wintec sticks - which I have been VERY happy with, btw. Am not mixing. (Specs in my signature)

If you have old memory try it for now, if not try the G.Skills, but either way only use one stick in the first and or second slot from the CPU.

If so are you getting anymore beeps?
    I am getting only the single - normal-sounding? - beep at startup; then, after a few seconds, machine restarts itself. Then, the same cycle of beep-restart, beep-restart.

Please try the board out of the case, and OFF the motherboard tray. Put it on a wooden table, or a cardboard box, NOT on a anti-static bag. Then connect ONLY the CPU/Heatsink, once stick of memory, and a GFX Card, nothing else.
    I'll try this next. Theory is that one of the PCI cards is dead, or that something is shorting the motherboard?

GFX card: For the moment, the card is out, so as to remove it from the test.

As an aside: If it turns out this board is dead, what is my RMA/return capability? I think there was a 3 or 5 yr warranty on these?

My Concern: It appeared that the machine, in the final time it was running, was trying to 'recover' its BIOS from backup. This has never happened before, and I don't know that this process ever finished properly. Is it possible I have an utterly 'bricked' mobo at this point?
    Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) F3-17000CL9Q-16GBXLD
    Corsair TX 750W PSU

Chike is offline Senior Member

Where did it try to recover BIOS from, hard-drive? It doesn't have real Dual BIOS does it?
    Try with just one of the roven good memory, and in a slot it wasn't installed before.
    I'd definately blame it on the recovery attempt.

Where did it try to recover BIOS from, hard-drive?
    I'm quite sure this board would have no access to the hard drive this early in the boot cycle. Am I wrong on this?
    It doesn't have real Dual BIOS does it?
    The docs claim it has 'Quad BIOS'! - Can't prove it by me - this machine has been so reliable, I've never had to even think about it before. I've certainly never before restored - or even stored - a BIOS image to my knowledge. I did understand that the machine stores a copy of the last-good BIOS, and I thought it did this on-chip. And I believe it was saying something like 'Recovering BIOS' just before it crashed last.
    Try with just one of the roven good memory, and in a slot it wasn't installed before.
    Yes, this is the approach I've been taking - with each stick, one at a time, in each slot! - absolutely no success.
    I'd definately blame it on the recovery attempt.
    It seems to be so, yes. Question is what do I do next? Is it RMA time?
    Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K
    Corsair TX 750W PSU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information