Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigbyte G1.Sniper: Need a Little Help

Default Re: Gigbyte G1.Sniper: Need a Little Help

Quote Originally Posted by Memories4Life View Post
    Hi, Sorry to crash you thread.. Can i ask you to test one thing for me please...

Can you plug in a 140mm or 200 mm fan into fan header#1 and check your bios to see if the rpm is being red.?

Thanks
    Heh, no worries. If I can find one sure I will .... have old computer parts all over the place I should have something.

Thanks... I have the Assassin and have tried a 200mm + 140mm + 120mm but get NO registry in the bios on head Fan#1. the funny thing is if i plug in a 80mm fan the bios will register rpm.. the fans seem to work on all the other headers but not on fan#1.. Your response would be appreciated.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMunky View Post
    Will be heading home in an hour or so to try out some of the suggestions people posted. Have one quick question before I go though.

Vinster mentioned starting out with "Load Optimized Defaults"

What kind of "Optimization" does this do? Does it sort of "pre-overclock" the system, or just make sure some important things (such as AHCI) are enabled?
    When I first put my system together an flashed to Bios F5 for my board, I setup my mild OC and I was getting odd boot issues and also memory related BSOD's. I wrote down all my setting, went in the bios and loaded optimized defaults.

then I restarted my OC'ing process, I got the the same 24/7 OC with the same setting after about 30min of testing but the difference was all my goofy issues were resolved and gone.

I think when you get a new board and/or a re-flash the settings are fine for you to make it to windows use the system as a generic user, but I think loading the optimized defaults actually looks at your hardware and possibly tweaks or sets certain values to a good/better known value for that HW found..

One I know that gets updated is the CPU and PCI Clock Skew Voltage, defaults are 700mV... but after loading the optimized defaults they will change to 900mV and 800mV... who knows what else it changes not including setting we don't see or have access too.

hope that helps.

Vin

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to settle for 1866MHz operation. I tried messing around with the settings people mentioned as follows:

QPI/Vtt : 1.295v (Didn't have a step for 1.28v, 1.275v was closest)
    Memory Multiplier: 14
    Uncore: 28
    BClk: 143
    VDimm: 1.64v (Could only get 1.65v with the XMP turned on)
    Timing: 8-9-8-24

Applying these one at a time, I found all settings would POST except BClk. So, setting that back to 133MHz, I then found windows would not boot with Uncore at 28x. Reset that back to Auto and everything seems to be ok. Now Running with the following settings:

QPI/Vtt: 1.275v
    Uncore: Auto
    BClk: 133MHz
    VDimm: 1.64v

If I remember correctly, when I first started trying to figure this all out, the system would boot ok with 8-8-8-20 timings (with the RAM at 1866MHz). Would that be the better way to go?

Oh and sorry Memories4Life, I wasn't able to find a fan with the appropriate header to plug into this motherboard, all the ones I have are PSU powered.

I was lucky with a QPI/VTT of 1.28, but as lsdmasap mentionned, you may have to go up to 1.3v or even as high as 1.4v which is beyond the intel spec.

As for the uncore, you can go 2x+1 and sometimes maybe even 2x+2... so if 28 didn't work, try 29. worked for me when x20 wouldn't work but x21 did. I don't know why.

and when you couldn't boot in to windows, did you get a Blue Screen error? maybe baby step the blk up... go from 133 to 138, then to 140 then to 143 to see where the wall is and then depending on the BSOD error we can tweak accordingly. or leave it 1 or 2 ticks away from the wall to get you as close to 2000mhz as possible.

and also thinking about it, for you to run a blk or 143x22 (i think 22 is your multi) that would put your cpu to ~3150Mhz and for that your vcore on auto might not work, I'd put the vcore to about 1.22v-1.24v

the other thing that might be giving issues is turbo mode? I know on my system if turbo is enabled, it is used when my system is booting because it is loaded.. well that bumps me up from 20 to 21 (in your case 22 to 23) so now in your case you are no longer at 3150mhz, now you are at almost 3300mhz... from an original stock os 2933mhz... then you would most definately need more vcore.

hope I didn't through too much on the table there.

Vin

@Vinster: Man, thanks a lot for all of your help. I don't think I'm going to play around with it anymore though. As I said in my original post I don't really want to overclock this system since I don't really want to stress it much (at over $2,000 initial price, I'd like it to last a long time).

The system runs completely stable at 1866 memory speed, and I'm happy with it. I'll admit its a bit disappointing to pay extra for speeds I can't get to, but oh well. Based on what I've seen so far I won't need to overclock anyway. It's lightning fast and miles ahead of my old computer.

FYI, the clock multiplier for the CPU is actually 24x stock (3.2GHz) and with turbo mode on it clocks the CPU at about 3.33GHz. When Windows wasn't booting I didn't get a BSOD at all. I'd see "Starting Windows" and just before the four little dots that form the logo even appeared, it just restarted.

Speaking of BSOD's though, in my original post I mentioned the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT screen that I would get when I turned the system on after it randomly turned itself off. As it turns out, the "random" shutoff was definately related to the system trying to go into suspend/sleep or possibly even hibernate. As I mentioned, I turned off all power management settings in Windows and I no longer get the shutdowns. Kudos to that, especially since want this system on 24/7 anyway.

I suspect the standby failures have something to do with the SSD. I found an SSD optimization guide that I plan on going through when I have some free time, but until then, how does an SSD handle an improper windows shutdown? It seems as though when the bad shutdown occurs, windows may be in the middle of writing something to the drive (perhaps memory information and such for the sleep state). When the system tries to come back up that data is corrupted and causes windows to freak out. I could be completely wrong with that, but thats all I can come up with for a reason standby doesn't work properly.
    Gigabyte G1.Sniper Rev. 1.0
    Intel Core i7 960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz @ 3.33GHz (Intel Turbo Boost)
    ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B (CPU Temp: 35C @ Idle, 45C @ 100%)
    Gigabyte Super OC Series GeForce GTX 470 1280MB (GV-N470SO-13I)
    Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3-2000 (CMT6GX3M3A2000C8)
    Crucial C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 128GB SATA III
    Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
    SoundBlaster X-Fi (Motherboard Integrated)
    Bigfoot Killer 2100 NIC (Motherboard Integrated)
    Corsair TX950W Power Supply
    Antec Twelve Hundred Case

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

No Problem on the help, we can get you to the 2000Mhz mark if you ever wanted to. just ask. but now knowing the proper multipliers, if your Vcore is set to auto, it would never boot at those speeds... for my system to run 3.5Ghz 24/7 I need 1.22v on the vcore... stock is 1.2v, so it's not doing much, and idle temps are 40 degrees, loaded are 75 Degrees and I'm happy with that...

How are your temps with that cooler?

Vin

I think the cooler is helped out a lot by the case design, it's got 3x 120mm fans on front blowing in, 2x 120mm fans in back blowing out, and 1x 200mm blowhole fan up top blowing out. Also has a spot for another 120mm fan in the side panel which I'm not using at the moment. When you add those in with the VGA fans (3), PSU fan and CPU fan you get tons and tons of airflow. Also, all of the case fans are turned up to max RPM (still quieter than my old computer too).

Idling, my cpu is at about 35C.

Running Prime95 with all 8 threads at 100% for half an hour, it didn't go over 44C.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

These are the only questions I have at the moment. The RAM Timings question is the most important; I could care less about the system standby problem since I want the system on 24/7, though feel free to brainstorm some ideas on that one too if you wish.

Speaking of BSOD's though, in my original post I mentioned the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT screen that I would get when I turned the system on after it randomly turned itself off. As it turns out, the "random" shutoff was definately related to the system trying to go into suspend/sleep or possibly even hibernate. As I mentioned, I turned off all power management settings in Windows and I no longer get the shutdowns. Kudos to that, especially since want this system on 24/7 anyway.

I suspect the standby failures have something to do with the SSD. I found an SSD optimization guide that I plan on going through when I have some free time, but until then, how does an SSD handle an improper windows shutdown? It seems as though when the bad shutdown occurs, windows may be in the middle of writing something to the drive (perhaps memory information and such for the sleep state). When the system tries to come back up that data is corrupted and causes windows to freak out. I could be completely wrong with that, but thats all I can come up with for a reason standby doesn't work properly.
    QPI/Vtt: 1.275v
    Uncore: Auto
    BClk: 133MHz
    VDimm: 1.64v

If I remember correctly, when I first started trying to figure this all out, the system would boot ok with 8-8-8-20 timings (with the RAM at 1866MHz). Would that be the better way to go?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information