Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigbyte G1.Sniper: Need a Little Help

Default Gigabyte G1.Sniper: Need a Little Help

Greetings Tweakers!

Tuesday, I put together my lastest gaming rig and I'm having a couple issues with it that I could use some advice on. My last "performance" system I built was nearly 10 years ago (Go Intel 875P), so as you can imagine, all this new technology and BIOS settings are a bit new to me. First of all, let me get to the system specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Rev. 1.0, BIOS F1
    CPU: Intel Core i7 960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz Quad-Core w/ HT
    Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B
    GPU: Gigabyte Super OC Series GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB (GV-N470SO-13I)
    RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3-2000 (CMT6GX3M3A2000C8)
    SSD: Crucial C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 128GB SATA III
    HDD: Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
    Sound: SoundBlaster X-Fi (Motherboard Integrated)
    Network: Bigfoot Killer 2100 (Motherboard Integrated)
    Optical: LG Blu-Ray Recorder & LG DVD Recorder (Both SATA)

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
    PSU: Corsair TX950W

Alright, there are the specs and now on to my issues. Please note, at this time I have no intention to overclock; I'd rather get everything working correctly for now. First, I have been unsuccessful in getting the RAM to run at rated speed. BIOS picks the size up correctly, but only detects 1066MHz. The system is completely stable at these settings, no problems whatsoever. I have tried enabling Extreme Memory Profile, which sets the appropriate speed and timings (2000MHz, 8-9-8-24), only after saving the system will not POST.

I have a theory, but since my knowledge of these things is so old I'm not sure if it will have any effect, or make things worse. I remember on my old system, memory speed was directly influenced by the FSB speed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Intel now uses QPI instead of FSB, and I noticed there's an option in BIOS to increase QPI multiplier. Is it possible the QPI speed is too slow to handle the increased RAM speed and thats why I'm having issues? Any help/advice with this would be very much appreciated.

The other issue I believe has something to do with the system going into suspend/sleep. It ends up shutting itself off (Incorrectly shutting down Windows and the SSD), and I get blue screens for a while when I try to turn it back on. I will confirm this theory when I get home from work in the morning and the computer is still on, since I turned off all Power Management settings in Windows. If it turns out that my computer doesn't want to suspend, that's fine with me because I prefer it to be always on anyway.

So that's it for now, I'll be able to post tomorrow about the second problem (with more info if necessary). Any suggestions for the RAM problem? Hoping I don't have to RMA the memory, would really like to avoid that if possible.)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by EvilMunky; 03-18-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Default Re: Gigbyte G1.Sniper: Need a Little Help

First thing I would do is go in the bios and Load Optimized Defaults, then from there one item to verify is what the QPI/VTT voltage is. because to run the memory at 2000Mhz, having the QPI voltage set as auto is not good enough. with my GA-X58A-UD5, for me to have my memory at 2000Mhz I had to have my QPI voltage at a minimum of 1.28v.

at the top of this section, there is a detailed Gigabyte Bios settings template, download it, fill it out and post the settings because it will be easier to help you further.

Now when you get the BSOD, write down the last 3 digits of the error number, because they will tell you what is wrong. for example
    0x0000101 is not enough CPU Voltage
    0x0000124 is too little or too much QPI Voltage
    0x0000050 is a memory related error

there is a thread around here that is very detailed and notes a dozen or so of these errors with an idea as to the reason of the error

Vin

Chike is offline Senior Member

When you set XMP profile does it set ram to 2000? What is the BCLK and CPU Ratio then?
    I am not sure which memory multipliers available, but I don't think you can run 2000 without overclocking,
    You can instead settle for 1600 7-7-7-20 or 1866.

Default Re: Gigabyte G1.Sniper: Need a Little Help

Here is the template thread http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...-settings.html

Here is the BSOD thread BSOD Error codes....

Vin

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    When you set XMP profile does it set ram to 2000? What is the BCLK and CPU Ratio then?
    I am not sure which memory multipliers available, but I don't think you can run 2000 without overclocking,
    You can instead settle for 1600 7-7-7-20 or 1866.
    your right, XMP would set the blk to 143 with a memory multi of 14. that's what my system just did when I tried it.

Vin

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    your right, XMP would set the blk to 143 with a memory multi of 14. that's what my system just did when I tried it.

Vin
    Ah, that's not a lot OC is it?
    But maybe just set the BCLK manually to 133 with the XMP profile and run it at 1866

Thank you for the replies. I won't be able to try anything until I get home from work tomorrow morning (around 8:00am EDT). I'll be sure to let you know what I find.

EDIT: By the way, I was able to get it running at 1866MHz by bumping up the memory multiplier to x14. Though I'd prefer to run it at its rated speed (I don't mind a small OC, just not looking to push it quite yet).

As far as that blue screen goes, at the time I didn't have Windows halt on BSOD so I didn't get to look at the hex code, but I did see MEMORY_MANAGEMENT at the top.
    Last edited by EvilMunky; 03-18-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You will also need to manually set your own Uncore, to twice the memory multiplier or 1-2 above that (If trying 2000Mhz memory, only use twice memory multi).

To run 2000Mhz memory on your CPU may not be ideal, as you may need to use 1.4-1.5+ QPI/Vtt, all CPU's are different and most will require higher voltage like this for 2000Mhz memory operation which is way above Intel rated spec if you care.

Will be heading home in an hour or so to try out some of the suggestions people posted. Have one quick question before I go though.

Vinster mentioned starting out with "Load Optimized Defaults"

What kind of "Optimization" does this do? Does it sort of "pre-overclock" the system, or just make sure some important things (such as AHCI) are enabled?

Hi, Sorry to crash you thread.. Can i ask you to test one thing for me please...

Can you plug in a 140mm or 200 mm fan into fan header#1 and check your bios to see if the rpm is being red.?

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information