Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EX58-Extreme Motherboard HDD boot disk error problem

Unhappy EX58-Extreme Motherboard HDD boot disk error problem

Hello,

I am having some problems with my EX58-Extreme motherboard and my hard drives.

Sometime ago I was getting "boot disk error" when starting up the computer, it would refuse to boot.

I have since done some troubleshooting and this is what I have found.

I can plug my operating system drive in only and the system boots into windows fine.

I can plug a second drive into the motherboard with the operating system drive and it will boot fine.

If I plug either one of my other hdd's into the sata port along with the 2 hdd's above plugged in, it will give me a "boot disk error".

The 2 hard drives that are giving me boot disk errors on startup have been plugged into my laptop via sata to usb and they are working fine, I can't seem to find out what the problem is?

I currently have all 4 hard drives plugged in and the computer recognises 3 of them, but the 4th hard drive is not showing.

Also another weird anomaly is when I restart the computer with 2 hard drives plugged in I will receive a boot disk error, but when I shut down the computer and power it up, it won't give me a boot disk error?

It seems to me like something is wrong with the sata ports on the motherboard but I can't be sure.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: EX58-Extreme Motherboard HDD boot disk error problem

Try disabling native SATA 0-3 in bios
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

What ports exactly are you plugging them into and what settings are you using in the bios are they setup as IDE or AHCI or RAID? Some times with adding drives or usb flash drives can mess up the HDD boot order list. When adding a drive make sure to check the list in bios and set your OS drive to first. Also make sure the OS Dive is plugged into the First sata2_0 port
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    Try disabling native SATA 0-3 in bios
    I just checked and it's disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebmxer View Post
    What ports exactly are you plugging them into and what settings are you using in the bios are they setup as IDE or AHCI or RAID? Some times with adding drives or usb flash drives can mess up the HDD boot order list. When adding a drive make sure to check the list in bios and set your OS drive to first. Also make sure the OS Dive is plugged into the First sata2_0 port
    I am plugging them into the blue sata ports on the motherboard, they are also setup as IDE.

Here is a photo from when I was first experiencing the problems of the setup in BIOS, I haven't had time to play with it as I haven't had a graphics card until today.

The missing hard drive must be that blank space in Channel 0 Slave

http://i.imgur.com/kWA8n.jpg

WD5001AALS = 500GB Caviar Black is my OS Drive
    WD1002FAEX = 1TB Caviar Black is a storage drive
    WD10EACS = 1TB Caviar Green is a storage drive

and the 4th hard drive isn't shown in that photo as it isn't appearing even though it is plugged in.

Here is a photo from today:

I may have switched the sata cables around because I thought it might have been a faulty port so it's in a different configuration but the 4th drive isn't showing up in BIOS either even though it is plugged in: ( It might be that blank space in the IDE Channel 1 master spot? )

http://i.imgur.com/OI3Ed.jpg

This is just some settings that might help:

http://i.imgur.com/JMrPJ.jpg

I have plugged the drive that isn't appearing in bios into another computer via sata to usb and it appears and I can access it fine so I don't think it's the drive that has failed.

I have never really bothered noting which hard drive is plugged into which sata port, and I don't know if I am meant to edit that hard drive list in bios or not, not too sure how to do that. I have always just plugged my drives in to whichever sata ports and it usually sorts itself out? lol.

Also the 4th drive that isn't appearing is just another storage drive.

Thanks for your help guys.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Do not mess with anything in the "Standard CMOS Page" for hard drives, it is not needed at all and can mess things up. You can ignore what is showing for master/slave for any channel as that does not matter as is incorrect anyway as there is no master/slave for SATA.

Connect your OS drive to SATAII_0 and then put your CD/DVD drive on the last SATA port SATAII_5, the rest of the drives can go in the middle preferably on SATAII 1/2/3 after the OS drive.

Any reason why you are using IDE?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Do not mess with anything in the "Standard CMOS Page" for hard drives, it is not needed at all and can mess things up. You can ignore what is showing for master/slave for any channel as that does not matter as is incorrect anyway as there is no master/slave for SATA.

Connect your OS drive to SATAII_0 and then put your CD/DVD drive on the last SATA port SATAII_5, the rest of the drives can go in the middle preferably on SATAII 1/2/3 after the OS drive.

Any reason why you are using IDE?
    Okay thanks. Is there any reason for connecting os drive to SATAII_0? It's faster? Or the motherboard can detect the o/s drive quicker? I don't think I saw any labels on the sata ports but I will check it out with a torch.

And reason why I am using IDE, none, I think it must be either fail safe or optimised defaults because I haven't changed anything on those pages apart from "Halt On" to "No Errors" because I thought the motherboard might have detected the HDD was erroring and was preventing me from accessing it, but this isn't the case.

It's just how it should be done, and yes I do believe it helps detection quicker as well.

Labels are there, on the PCB, SATAII_0 will be the one against the PCB.

You should use AHCI, and you should also be starting with Optimized Defaults not Fail Safe.

Are you using windows 7 or vista? If so make the following registry changes in windows FIRST, then reboot to the BIOS and change to AHCI

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0 (Win 7 / Vista ONLY)
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-19-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    It's just how it should be done, and yes I do believe it helps detection quicker as well.

Labels are there, on the PCB, SATAII_0 will be the one against the PCB.

You should use AHCI, and you should also be starting with Optimized Defaults not Fail Safe.

Are you using windows 7 or vista? If so make the following registry changes in windows FIRST, then reboot to the BIOS and change to AHCI

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0 (Win 7 / Vista ONLY)
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start
    Thanks again. I am using Windows 7.
    EDIT:

The switch to AHCI seems to be fine now, I must have had the O/S in the wrong sata port.

Although am I supposed to be seeing a "Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, Version iSrc 1.20E" Screen followed by a "GIGABYTE Technology Corp. PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller BIOSv1.06.59" Screen when I boot?

I no longer see the BIOS splash screen but I think it might have something to do with my monitor not powering up from standby fast enough, maybe the bios is loading quicker due to AHCI mode?
    Last edited by Kyosukenasai; 03-21-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Yes the Intel AHCI BIOS screen is normal. If you do not want to see the Gigabyte RAID BIOS you have to disable that controller (At the bottom of the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page)

Yes, AHCI does load much faster than IDE, so if you did not disable Full Screen Logo, then it may be going past that before your monitor is powered on fully.

Thread Information