Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EG45M-UD2H Sometimes won't start using power switch and RTC is the wrong time

Default GA-EG45M-UD2H Sometimes won't start using power switch and RTC is the wrong time

Hi, I'm have a problem with GA-EG45M-UD2H BIOS F4 that sometimes won't start up when pressing the Power Button, this appears to happen when the weather is either/both(?) cold & humid.
    The only way to get it working is by applying some heat (from a hairdryer) to the centre area of the Motherboard and pressing the Power button repeatedly until it starts, only the smallest amount of heat is needed. Once it has booted into Windows the Time displayed is always incorrect normally starts off somewhere between 2am and 4am but Day and Date are correct.
    It is not the Battery or PSU.
    Question: Does the RTC play some function in starting the MB when the Power Button is pressed? As it is hard to believe there are two faults i.e. The RTC stops and there is a fault in the Power Button circuit.

Any help with circuit explanation or fault resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EG45M-UD2H Sometimes won't start using power switch and RTC is the wrong time

Cold and Humid? That in itself sounds contradictory, or did you mean each at separate times?

Are you sure it's not the battery, did you switch it out for another to confirm that? If not please do

Can you test the power button issue with another power switch, or unplug the one you are using now and try starting it with a screwdriver the next morning instead so you can rule your actual switch out.

Default Re: GA-EG45M-UD2H Sometimes won't start using power switch and RTC is the wrong time

Hi and thanks for the quick response and your suggestions.

I'm an Electronics Engineer of thirty plus years so I've gone through this pretty methodically - I hope.

Further explanation of the cold/humidity thing - At the moment we are heading toward the end of our warm weather here in New Zealand and with the cooler weather (like today) we are getting some very high humidity. This problem has never happened on a hot dry day.

Tried replacing the Battery and also re-tensioned the terminals and checked them for any signs of oxide/corrosion and to remove all doubt of the socket I checked the Battery voltage on the MB PCB itself. Now that I'm thinking about this it shouldn't be the Battery anyway as this machine is powered off overnight but still plugged into the AC so the RTC power should be coming from the PSU via the +5vsb (+5v Standby) supply and not the Battery.

Checked the Power Button by removing the Connector from the Front Panel Header and then shorted the terminals with a Jumper but unfortunately that wasn't the solution.

The only way I can get it started is by applying some heat to the centre area of the MB and I suppose the next step is to wait for it to happen again and then find the exact area (maybe even the component) with some precise pinpoint heat.

What would be really nice is the Circuit Diagram of the RTC / Power Button section from the Gigabyte Engineers :-)
    Last edited by brutisb; 03-26-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Ahh ok, that just sounded weird to me that it would be humid and cold at the same time, but I guess I'm just used to only seeing it humid when it's warm.

I'm not really sure what could cause this then, other than cold NB chip which seems to be fine once warmed a little as you mention, which is odd. Does your BIOS offer HPET, if so you could try using that instead of RTC, enable it and set per your OS 86/64. I know the P45 range does have this setting in Power Options BIOS page, not sure about G45.

You are more electrically inclined than I am, so I can't really offer anymore advice other than what I have, and you have tried about all of that already anyway.

Have you contact GIGABYTE Directly about the issue, if not maybe you should as they may say it's a known fault and offer you a RMA because of this.

Here's how to get in touch with them, it will usually take 3-5 days to hear back though depending on how busy they are.
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-26-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks, I've sent Gigabyte the fault description. Hope they give a positive response :-)

Anytime, sorry I couldn't be of more direct help!

Hopefully they will be able to further help you diagnose the issue.

Just thought I would close this thread because I found the problem - yay!!! and should anyone else have the same problem (unlikely?) it may help.

I had decommissioned this machine sometime ago but had a need to run-up some hardware so dragged it out to get it going again and of course it wouldn't start. Having some free time I pulled the motherboard out and went over it inch by inch examining everything and all was good until I got to the area between the PCIEX16 socket and the ICH10R (picture attached). I found corrosion between the two pins of D3 and across the fronts of the two Resistor Arrays. Not 100% sure why corrosion would appear there but maybe warm moist air from the graphics card hit this spot and condensed on the colder motherboard surface??? Anyway a cleanup with Isopropyl Alcohol, some flux, soldering, another cleanup and it was going as good as new again.

So thanks for your help and mystery solved - eventually........
    Attached Images Attached Images GA-EG45M-UD2H Sometimes won't start using power switch and RTC is the wrong time-pcb-jpg 
    Last edited by brutisb; 01-17-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    Intel i7 2600k | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 (U1g) | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 (CL8) | Galaxy GTX275 1GB
    OS Drive - OCZ Vertex3 SATA 6Gbps 120GB (2.22) | Storage Drives - 2xSeagate ST31000524AS 6Gbps 1TB (RAID 0)
    Other Storage Drive - 1xSeagate ST31000333AS SATA 3Gbps 1TB | LiteON SATA iHAS324 (BL1P)
    Corsair CMPSU-750HX | Coolermaster HAF912 Advanced |
    Coolmaster V8 Aircooler
    ZBoard | Logitech G9x | Panasonic 37" 1080p LCD | Windows 7 Pro 64bit

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Thanks for the update.
    I've saved a link to this thread for future reference. :)
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Great to hear you sorted this out, and thanks for posting in case it may help others in the future!

Post back anytime if you need more help with anything!

Thread Information