Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help in my first build with a GA-870A-UD3 Rev. 3.0 motherboard

Default Need help in my first build with a GA-870A-UD3 Rev. 3.0 motherboard

Hi everyone! Glad to be a new member of this forum.

I just bought the following:

870A-UD3 Revision 3.0 motherboard
    Athlon II X2 255 3.1GHz CPU
    Enzotech MST-88 Mosfet H/S
    Windows 7 64-Bit OEM

Can anyone advise me on what DDR3 RAM to get (1066 or 1333) that will work with the Athlon II X2 255? At AMD's website it states that X2s can support up to 1066 and the X3/X4s supports 1333 while others claim the former can support 1333 as well, which is true? I only want to run memory at it's stock setting, no tweaking or overclocking.

Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Need help in my first build with a GA-870A-UD3 Rev. 3.0 motherboard

Uhhh...Chike...sorry but I can't understand what those numbers mean. Please explain.

On a side note, why are these motherboard packaging not sealed? It makes one wonder if he's getting a return or an open box.

Not sure about the sealing, but I remember mine looke(and smelled) new .
    Those were images of memory settings, 1600 and above (DDR rate is memory clock x2).
    Officially by AMD the CPU supports DDR-1066.

In that case, should I go for an Athlon II X3 for the DDR3 1333 and just RMA the X2 since it's not meant to be paired with the 1333?

I was really thinking of going greener (X2 @ 65wTDP) and at the same time future proofing my PC by opting for the 1333 (which is the standard nowadays). Coincidentally, I bought this 870A-UD3 from Amazon thinking I'll be getting the AM3+ socket (rev. 3.1) as shown on their website, but I got the 3.0 instead. What a bummer.

Seems that AMD will make all it can to hide memory rate supported, but wikipedia says DDR3-1333.
    Athlon II (Regor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, one way to find out is to talk to the techs at AMD tomorrow, otherwise it's a crap shoot. Choosing RAM nowadays is a bit more complicated than a few years back where you can just match things based on motherboard specs, but now with DDR3, CPU integrated memory controller, and no clear-cut documentation on processor-memory matching is like finding a needle in a haystack.

In the meantime, do you know of any do's and don'ts as far as putting things together on a Gigabyte board like certain pitfalls, etc.?

Just pick a low latency DDR-1333/DDR1600 that's not expensive from the QVL.
    There's probably not that much difference in price betwen 1066 1333 and 1600.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    In the meantime, do you know of any do's and don'ts as far as putting things together on a Gigabyte board like certain pitfalls, etc.?
    I don't understand, what do you mean?

I plan to get this subject to AMD's approval and granting it would show up automatically in BIOS/CPU-Z (without any tweaking) as a stock DDR3 1333 1.5v module and not being falsely recognized as a 1066 as others have reported:

4GB kit (2GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for Giga-Byte GA-870A-UD3 Motherboard, CT1792454 from Crucial.com

The Crucial memory selector listed this as compatible even though this particular model cannot be found under the QVL for this motherboard. Since I have no plans of overclocking it, I'm pretty sure it will work at the stock voltage but the frequency still remains to be determined.

BTW, the 1600 is quite tempting price wise, but I'm afraid the X2 Regor might not be compatible with it. What do you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information