Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: F8M is unstable

Default Re: F8M is unstable

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Nice to hear this is sorted out for you now!

Go ahead and test that 256GB one if you can, just to be sure. Maybe it is firmware, but I dunno cause my initial tests were all on 0002.

Maybe if he is on 0001, then maybe that could be an issue, but I think 0002 and 0006 are fine and something else had to be causing this for you guys.
    My C300 has 100MB hidden partition, as you mentioned. And my C300 was already on 0006, I don't know why this is happened to me.

Crucial will release next version firmware in late April. So I will retest if next firmware release.

Thanks for a job well done, guys.

Ok, booted pc today and back to detecting drives,, grrrrrr.

I discovered this though

if you go to bios and change to optimised defaults, then save reboot back to bios, it then finds drive, then you have to go back to bios again to set it as first boot again, then works

but it seems to have to be kept being saved.

Try that, also.

im gonna keep playing till i sort this, prob end up back on F4 for my ud9 by looks of things.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Pablo, sounds like you might need to RMA you drive, I've seen several have issues at the Crucial forums with drives not being found at bootup - which a new drive will fix.

Eung Ho Kim - Try without the hidden partition. Do you know how to do a clean install, or repair the BCDStore?

It's not a firmware issue at all or I would see it on 0002 or 0006, but yes a new firmware will be out shortly.

Lsd, thanks for your advice.

I want to remove hidden partition, but I can't now. Windows installed now, so I will try to later.
    But is it possible remove hidden partition without format?

You can do a clean install, if you want to do it that way.

Without a clean install is more involved, you would have to first delete the hidden partition from within another OS disk, then move the main SSD partition over (which may be very hard to do and keep aligned), then you would have to run startup repair to reuild the BCDStore or that can also be manually done.

A clean install would be much easier for you to do. If you decide to do that, run the install DVD and then do the following, once done reboot to the DVD again and install windows to this new partition. Do not change anything on the disk selection screen during the install, simply select / click on the already created partition and click next. This can also be done from within windows at a command prompt, on another computer with the SSD connected as a spare drive.

Boot to CD, choose repair, then advanced, then command prompt:

Diskpart commands to align and create a partition

Diskpart >List Disk

(Here note the Disk # you want to align and create on based on size of drive, if only one drive then you are fine disk 0 will be the one you
    need)

Diskpart > Select Disk 0
    (Or other disk number if need be)

Diskpart > List Partition
    (Just to ensure you have the correct disk listed and no partitions are found)

Diskpart > Clean
    (Removes any previous partition table information, and or MBR's)

Diskpart > Create Partition Primary Align=1024
    (To create and align your partition)

Diskpart> Format Quick FS=NTFS
    (To Quick format-NTFS)

(To check partition was created properly and aligned)

Diskpart > Active
    (To set partition Active for OS Install)

Diskpart > Exit

Done!

Clean and simple for those who have only one disk connected and need no explanations

Diskpart > Select Disk 0
    Diskpart > Clean
    Diskpart > Create Partition Primary Align=1024
    Diskpart > Format Quick FS=NTFS
    Diskpart > Active
    Diskpart > Exit

Ok LSD,

Thing is was working fine on f4, then only other day, drive stopped being recognised all the time,

Im back on F4 now, but still had issues getting to recognise.

If i power off and leave a few hours, all boots up ok,

However when i leave pc off all day whilst im at work, then drives are lost again.

If i go into advanced settings, F7 to defaultes, drive recognised again.

May end up using sata2 ports, which dont cause any issue atal.

Then seeing this thread
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...s-problem.html

isnt giving me much confidence in Gigabyte at the moment.

As I mentioned, I've seen this before and often the disk may be going bad.

You can try to add a HDD Disk detection delay in the BIOS to see if that helps.

Also, as I mentioned previously, you will get better performance on the Intel ports anyway, so I'd highly recommend you use them since this issue is affecting you on the 6Gb/s ports anyway.

See my C300 review linked in my signature for performance comparisons of the 6Gb/s ports and the 3Gb/s ports, you'll see what I mean.

That users likely needs to RMA his drive for sure, those 6Gb/s port and the ones you are using are not the same at all, his 6Gb/s ports are Intel ones and are problem free so it's very likely he needs to RMA the drive

OK, guys, I am able to reproduce this error now! I was doing some TRIM testing for some users at Crucial, and immediately ran into this issue mid-way through my testing process.

The error affects Marvell SATA 6Gb/s port 6 (against PCB), when the BIOS is set to Firmware mode Bypass and a C300 is connected to port 6 the POST will hang at IDE detection. This may also affect any other disk or SSD, I did not test.

Port 7 is fine, and either port is fine if firmware mode is set to firmware instead of bypass.

I will let my contacts know as soon as I hear back from them, hopefully this week!

Good job, Lsd.

I hope it will be fixed as soon as posssible.

Thanks, I wondered why you guys were having problems and I didn't have any, I thought about it for a few days and even tested different OS and firmwares :)

For now, you can set the BIOS to firmware mode instead of bypass, which is better for performance now anyway. Then your disks should be OK in either port

Do either of you have a ticket with GGTS? Also, which F8 beta BIOS have you used that did not have this issue? Thanks!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-18-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information