Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 Problems, cant figure out if its mem related or clock related

Default Re: X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 Problems, cant figure out if its mem related or clock related

FB, FF, Fg1 BIOS all have done this.

I can even tell it's in messed up mode when windows is booting by the animation of the Windows logo. As the four pieces fly in it sort of stutter steps/ jumps when the four pieces of the logo almost come together. Then I know I'm gonna either have a BSD at login, random BSD after login, or CRC errors installing apps. I'm gonna do a Windows Mem Diag now, so right now I'm 12GB, FF BIOS,Profile1+Auto settings, haven't shutdown - only sleep from last night (Auto 30min sleep from Windows Power Management). I'll update as usual.

EDIT: I did it in "Extended" mode, took a bit longer.

I have to work this week so I'm gonna sleep only the computer and see how long that lasts.
    Last edited by Rexxenexx; 04-12-2011 at 04:33 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 Problems, cant figure out if its mem related or clock related

Flash the backup BIOS to the same as the main BIOS to see if that will correct the issue you mention in post #49.

To do that, press ALT + F12 on the POST Screen, where you normally would hit Del to enter BIOS. Sometimes it takes a few tries if you don't time it just right, so if you end up at the boot menu screen reboot and try again until you get it.

It will bring you to a black screen and mention BIOS recovery or backup BIOS flashing, say yes or hit any key and it will flash the backup BIOS with the current main BIOS contents.

I backed up the BIOS using @BIOS. So you're saying if I use that ALT +F12 utility deal I could backup a BIOS WITH it's settings so next time I could ALT+F12 and reload it? ie no more IDE to AHCI blah blah blah? I'm still running the 12GB haven't shut it down but I have ran WMDT twice with no Hardware errors. Tomorrow afternoon I'll give that ALT+F12 a go if it saves settings.

Please use Qflash instead of @BIOS, and just to clarify things - @BIOS is a flashing tool, nothing to do with backup or backup up a BIOS.

What I mentioned for you to do, and suggest you try right now, is this. Reflash the BIOS with the latest beta BIOS using Qflash, then reboot and load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot BACK to BIOS, once in BIOS again set your SATA/Disk settings again (IDE for now to be sure this goes smoothly) and save/apply/reboot once more. On that last reboot once the system starts and you see the splash or post screen hit ALT + F12 to copy the MAIN BIOS over to the BACKUP BIOS.

K this is how I backed up the FB BIOS w @BIOS:

Never used Qflash I'll try that now. Latest beta BIOS is Fg1. Will update as usual...

Ohh, sorry, I confused what you said thinking you meant flashing/backing up was the same. My bad man!

Ya, flash the latest BIOS with Qflash, not @BIOS, then do as mentioned above with optimized and ALT+F12

The Fg1 BIOS is 2MB and Qflash says "file doesn't match" something like that. The FB BIOS is 1MB. I'm gonna try FLASHSPI.EXE from a bootable USB.

Ahh ok, sorry! For the file size change BIOSes you must use @BIOS or DOS/FlashSPI (When using FlashSPI you may need to use the /X or /Z switch capital letters needed)

That was rough but worked. I HAD to use @BIOS with Fg1. FlashSPI didn't like the large size either. But after @BIOS flashed and enter to reboot it hung after windows was done closing everything. So I waited a while...then I pushed reset...and after a powercycle it came back. I continued with the Opt Default>saveexit>settings>saveexit>ALT+F12...power cycle...MAIN to BACKUP...and all 2048 went perfect! So that's that, now to test the mem...

EDIT: Windows Memory Diag. Tool says "Hardware" problem. So it's in that messed up mode again.

EDIT2: I'm stuck with Fg1 BIOS. Flashing with @BIOS hangs after the windows shutdown as mentioned above. I've tried flashing Fg1 and FF, with FF eventually it says CMOS checksum error and autoflashes the Fg1 backup. I've even tried flashing with FlashSPI and FF gives a file mismatch, Fg1 goes through but still has that memory problem mode.

EDIT3: OK FB was the only BIOS to stick. I changed the settings and put it back as the backup. I'm do a mem test and if it passes I'll try FF and mem test that, if that passes then I'll put it as the BACKUP.

EDIT4: FB Failed Mem test
    Updated to FF Failed Mem test
    This is with the Profile1 Auto settings that were working all day yesterday (12GB). And I had a BSD a couple secs ago at widows startup, after the logo animation:

I have to pull the ram (8GB|6GB mode), reflash FF I guess, set the settings, and put back the ram. That's all I can think of to possibly make it work again. For now I have to sleep...

EDIT5: Still cant find the right combo. I tried pulling the ram reflash and putting it back, FF to FB to Fg1, all of which failed the mem test @12GB. It still passes at 8GB and 6GB. I don't know how to get lucky with the 12GB anymore. Out of ideas, but I'll keep trying when I have the time.
    Last edited by Rexxenexx; 04-13-2011 at 04:50 AM. Reason: clarify

Get on the latest BIOS with 6GB, then flash the backup to the same BIOS.

Then give me the full exact settings you've been trying with 12GB and I'll advise back. Template in my signature

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information