Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bios and Ram Settings help X58-UD3R (Rev 2.0), i7-950, G.Skill 1600 DDR3

Default Bios and Ram Settings help X58-UD3R (Rev 2.0), i7-950, G.Skill 1600 DDR3

Hello, have been reading these forums and toms as well too (I hope Im allowed to say that). Lots of posts by Lsdmeasap and Bilbat, as well as some stickys that they may have even written. I build a computer like 5 years ago and am finishing up my second, have not started her up yet but am about ready to.

My question is about settings in bios and more specifically those that relate to RAM.

I have downloaded all the latest drivers from the Gigabyte website that I copied to a flash drive that I had formatted in FAT32.

I have not downloaded the BIOS to that portable drive yet but I believe I will be downloading, Bios version FF.

My rig is as follows:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R (REV 2.0)
    Memory: G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) D F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
    CPU: Intel i7-950
    SSD: Intel X25-M 80GB SATA2
    HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3R HE103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
    GPU: SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit
    DVD: Samsung BlueRay SATA2
    PSU: Corsair 650W

I read about water cooling and thought it sounded like something I wanted to do, so I did. Everything has been installed and leak test and good to go.

Water Cooling components Manufacturer Model
    Top Radiator XSPC RX360 - 3X120mm Radiator Rev. 2
    Top Radiator Fans (3 pull/2 push) Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120 mm 1850 RPM
    Front Radiator XSPC RX120 - 2X120mm Radiator Rev. 2
    Front Radiator Fans Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120 mm 1850 RPM
    Reservoir XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir for D5 / MCP655
    Pump Swiftech MCP655/D5 Vario 12v DC Pump
    CPU Water Block EK EK-Supreme HF - Full Nickel - Rev 2
    GPU Water Block EK EK GPU Block
    Fan Controller Scythe 6- Channel Fan Controller Black

So, if anyone can contribute it would be much appreciated, thank you.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: Bios and Ram Settings help X58-UD3R (Rev 2.0), i7-950, G.Skill 1600 DDR3

Welcome,

Go ahead and update the bios. It is suggested that you update the bios with q-flash. Depending on which bios you are updating to q-flash may say error about bios size being 2048 kb instead of 1024 kb. That is because GB added efi for +3tb hdds. You have to flash using @bios so make sure you grab the latest @bios form the stickies at the top of this forum. Make sure to check the box for clear dmi pool. After reboot enter bios and choose load optimized defaults press F10 to save and reboot renter bios make changes to only memory and hdds if you are running raid or ahci press F10 save and reboot again. After windows loads reboot and renter bios and make any further changes needed. After flashing new bios with @bios you can continue using q-flash as long as bios file size is still 2048 kb.

You may wanna grab a bios template from my sig so you can fill it out with your current bios settings. before flashing so you can go back to then also post them here and we can suggest settings for you. What kind of over clock would you like to get. Depending how your cpu reacts to overclock you could run 4.5 ghz 25/7 as I do...

Any other question please post back.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Bios and Ram Settings help X58-UD3R (Rev 2.0), i7-950, G.Skill 1600 DDR3

Congrats on the new water cooled system man!

We can help you with your settings for sure once you get going!

I hope that my original post did not give you guys the impression that I really know what I am doing, haha.

acebmxer,

I have never flashed BOIS before and was trying to not go that route if I do not need to. I hope I am not confusing flashing BIOS with something else. Also thought that I read some material from BIlbat that said to never flash with @BIOS. I still have yet to make my final connections but I will be home soon and if I get courageous I may try starting her up then, but I will probably just read more about updating BIOS as I am in no rush. I just am very cautious though, after reading about the registry deletes and things I would have to do to remove Win7 if I didnt have others things done right first.

Lsdmeasap,

I am not gonna lie, I am somewhat honored that you are replying to my post, after reading many others that have responded with things like, "I think that is right but I would check with, Lsdmeasap, first."

So I am going to continue to do a little more research until I feel comfortable to take the next steps. If I do anything I will be sure to update this thread, thanks again for the help, it is much appreciated.

Don't forget to set to ahci mode (for superior read/write for your ssd) in the bios before you install windows
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wazza300,

I am actually aware of that but thank you.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Thanks man, that's cool to hear that I am highly thought of by you and others!

I'm happy to help, anytime man! BIOS flashing is easy, and you will be fine, don't let all the warnings scare you as they are just there for users not paying attention, or just to help ensure that everyone has a safe flashing experience.

Yes, it is best to not use @BIOS when at all possible, sometimes you do just have to use it though, but they have updated it a lot recently and it's not near as bad as it used to be.

We do suggest you update the BIOS of course, as you mentioned, that way you are on the latest and best BIOS so that any issues you may run into probably wont be BIOS bug related like you would find in old BIOSes.

Don't let yourself be scared of anything, you already setup your own water cooling system, and not a pre-made kit. Many are afraid to use either, and you went the extra step and built your own, so you are much braver than you let yourself believe!

You can easily run 4.0-4.4Ghz for sure now, once you are ready that is!

Again, thanks for the kind words, they are most appreciated!

OK, so I am downloading the files to a USB now.

I just want to make sure I am using the correct ones.
    I should use the "FF" file for the bios, I believe.

Should I also install the following Drivers? and if so, when I extract the files for some like the Intel INF it is obvious, or at least I think that it is, of which files to copy and load from my flash drive, on others it is much less obvious and some like the HD Audio files, doesn't even show a Win7 drivers file let alone a X64.

Intel INF installation file [Dixf64]
    Intel SATA RAID Driver
    NEC USB 3.0 Driver
    HD Audio
    Realtek LAN Driver
    GIGABYTE SATA2 Driver (even if I do not RAID?)
    Marvell Console Driver (SATA3)

From the videos that I have watched about flashing BIOS on this board, I am not sure if they are using the @BIOS method or not, I believe I can do so as they did with out complication.

Acebmxer,

I thought I wrote this before but now that I reread my response I see that I haven't. I will download the template you suggested and read through the stickys on @BIOS.

I know some of you younger readers may think I am nuts for having this machine 98% of the way done and slowly conquering the last 2% but I am just trying to through it in the safest methodical way possible.

As far as my water set-up goes, I am confident in my mechanical abilities, its those "soft" technical skills that I lack confidence in.

Thanks again for all the help and I will let you know how it goes soon.

Hey guys I have one more question, about disabling or deleting DMI Pool. I am thinking that it will probably be an obvious option but figured I would ask. I have a little list of steps to follow, that I will paste below.

Also I have a Haf X and the front panel has an eSata and 2 USB 3.0 ports. I figured you guys could tell me the best ports for them.

Setting Up Computer

- Format USB Drive in FAT32 Format
    - Download-extract-Copy .FF BIOS file onto flash drive.

Turn on PC - hit -DEL- to boot into BIOS

Once there – “Load Optimized Defaults” – Save/Reboot

Keep DMI data disabled – need screen shot –
    Make sure to check the box for clear dmi pool

Enable "Legacy USB Storage Detect" in the Integrated Peripherals Page of the BIOS

Also - need to leave the USB drive plugged in when you reboot to Qflash

hit -DEL- to boot into BIOS - F8 - to enter Q-Flash

Select “Enter BIOS from Drive” and navigate to the BIOS file – (Flash drive may show as HDD) and Flash - Save/Apply/Reboot

Rebooted back into the BIOS - & again - Load Optimized defaults - Save/Apply/Reboot

Make sure to check the box for clear dmi pool

Set RAM Voltage only – Save/Apply/Reboot

Again, Integrated Peripherals Settings - Save/Apply/Reboot <F10>

Reboot to BIOS – go into “Integrated Peripherals Settings”
    Set – Intel SATA Controller Port 0 (SATA2_0)
    SATA Mode to [AHCI]
    SATA Port0-3 NAtive Mode – Enabled (doesn’t matter)

In Advanced BIOS – set Hard disk Priority and make SSD the first
    And others in chosen order - Save/Apply/Reboot -F10-

Thanks Again
    Last edited by Lupac; 04-12-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

All looks about correct to me. Read this stick from LSD http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html

If using q-flash you have to disable keep dmi pool. If using @bios you have to check to box to disable dmi pool.

Flash. reboot. boot into bios choose load optimized defaults. Press F10 save and reboot. Renter bios change all need except for Overclocking. Only change memory settings to run at default or slower then default settings. Press F10 save and reboot Last time boot back into bios and change only HDD boot order Pres F10 save reboot. let boot into windows. Once windows finished loading reboot enter bios then make any other overclocking setting.

Also only enable which ever Sata controllers that you need. If you are only connected to intel Sata2 connector only enabled that one. If you need Gigabyte sata2 or the Sata3 controller then only enable them.
    Last edited by Acebmxer; 04-12-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information