Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: BIOS Help Needed - P55 UD4P

Default BIOS Help Needed - P55 UD4P

Processor: Intel Core i5 750
    Motherboard P55-UD4P with F10 BIOS
    RAM: 8 GB Corsair
    Video Card: nVidia 460 GTX

Let me start by saying that I've been around computers for a long time, so I know what I'm doing. That said, I'm very confused about the Gigabyte BIOS, how it behaves, and the information it gives me. I realize this is a massive wall of text, but I want to be explicit about what I've changed so someone can explain whats going on.

My computer has been running fine since November, when it was built. No crashes, stable when playing games, etc. I've always been confused about the Turbo Boost in the i5, however, and today I started investigating to see if it was actually working for me. I downloaded CPU-Z and Argus Monitor and ran both. Argus allows you to watch CPU Turbo multipliers in real time and, while I saw the core frequencies bouncing up and down with load, they never went above 17 (all pegged at 17 in Team Fortress 2). I consulted the intel spec sheet for the processor and from that and everything else I've read the CPU multiplier is supposed to be 20.

So I reboot. In the BIOS I find that for some reason the multiplier is, in fact, set to 17. Here's where I'm most confused. The advertised speed for the i5 750 is 2.67Ghz. With a multiplier of 17 the speed in the BIOS is listed as 2.72Ghz. At 16 it is below 2.67Ghz, but theres no way to land exactly on it. I change the value to 20 and the speed changes to 3.20Ghz. Since this is the maximum Turbo Boost speed for any core I figure this must be correct. I change the multiplier to 21 because the BIOS lets me. Under the Advanced options everything (Turbo Mode, power states, etc) is set to Auto, so I change everything to Enabled.

I restart. Everything boots fine. In Argus I see the core speeds jumping around and going as high as 24. I start Team Fortress 2 and temps are fine across the board, the highest is mid-60s. After a few minutes my machine blue screens, starts performing a memory dump, and restarts. I go back into the BIOS and change the multiplier to 20 and restart. Load up TF2, same deal after about 10-15 minutes.

This time I go back into the BIOS, turn memory tuning (I forget the name) to standard, go into CPU Advanced options and set everything back to auto and leave the multi at 20. Now when I start Windows, Argus shows all cores locked at a 21x multiplier (20 in the BIOS) no matter what I'm doing and they don't move. It's like Turbo Boost doesn't exist.

Goal: I want to set the CPU speed to its default value but I don't know what it is. There's no way to set a multiplier in the BIOS that hits exactly 2.67 Ghz. I figured the 3.20 Ghz displayed at 20x was just the absolute maximum core speed under normal circumstances, but my machine keeps blue screening.

Questions:
    1) What is the correct multiplier value for this processor?
    2) Why is the BIOS so ambiguous as to the values it shows? Why aren't normal a Turbo speeds labeled?
    3)Why, with a 20x multi and Turbo Boost set to Auto. is my machine now set at a constant 21x multiplier?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BIOS Help Needed - P55 UD4P

The correct standard multiplier for that CPU is 20 (20x133)
    Intel® Core

Turbo allows up to 24 multiplier for 3.2Ghz. EIST and C1E need to be disabled if you want the multiplier to remain at a constant, if not you can leave those enabled.

Your crashes may be due to not having enough voltages set properly, and auto isn't the best way to go about that either when overclocking.

If you want things to be at stock, load optimized defaults and then save/apply/reboot F10 BACK TO the BIOS. You MUST go right back to the BIOS after that reboot so you can set your AHCI/Disk settings.

Stock would then be correct, which would be a x20 CPU multiplier with turbo enabled all done automatically.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Do I need to do anything to my voltages right now or should I reset and then test in TF2? What if it is still crashing?

Also, my memory seems to have a built in profile that changes the settings to 1600 MHz (either that or its built in to the BIOS). Is it ok to switch back to that?

Voltages needed depend on CPU settings and hardware, so I really couldn't say without seeing your full settings. If you are at stock then auto should be ok

That memory profile XMP is designed for one set of memory, do you have one set of 2x4Gb or two kits of 2x2GB? If you have two kits then don't use XMP, if you have one 2x4GB kit you can try XMP and see if it works for you, but you still may need to adjust QPI/Vtt per your CPU as they are all different. You may need 1.15-1.3+ at 1600

Heh, this build is even older than I thought. Here is the link to the memory kit I am using. It is 4 2GB chips.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

If I'm understanding you correctly, I should restore optimized defaults and setup all my drives again. I'd like to use the profile for the memory to increase its speed. I'll test everything in TF2 once everything is reconfigured. If I blue screen at that point then I should slowly bump up QPI/Vtt (are they the same thing?) until things are stable.

Is that correct? Also, thank you very much for your help.

Ok, I made the changes you recommended and I think I finally see whats going on. Upon reboot the multipler was set to 20. When I enabled the memory profile the clock rate changed and the BIOS reduced the multiplier to 17 in order to get the processor speed as close as possible to spec. So its all because enabling that memory profile changed the clock rate. From what I'm seeing now, though, the multiplier won't go over 17, which I think means my CPU is throttled at 2.72 Ghz. Am I losing CPU performance by using the memory profile?

Thanks again.

Ya, load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot back to BIOS, so you are at square one again.

Since that kit was designed as a 8GB kit like that, instead of 2 2xxGB kits, you can use the XMP and that should be ok, but you will probably still need to adjust the QPI/Vtt as I mentioned above because auto does not always get this correct due to all CPU's being different.

Ya, QPI/Vtt is one setting.

Here is some BSOD codes and why they happen, this might help you along the way.

BSOD Error codes and what they mean:
    0X00000050 << Incorrect Memory Timing/Freq or Uncore Multi
    0X00000124 << Incorrect QPI/Vtt Voltage (To Much/Not Enough)
    0X00000101 << Not enough Vcore Voltage
    0X00000109 << Not enough or too Much memory voltage
    Also, if you want some suggested settings I can give you some, just let me know if you want speedstep enabled or not (IE CPU always at max speed, or CPU auto and fluctuate with load)

Thanks for the codes. I actually looked back in the Event Viewer and found a 0X00000124 code, so I assume my problem was just not having enough juice. I'm going to leave it at default settings for now, but based on my changes earlier it looks like it would be pretty easy to overclock up to 3.7 Ghz or so by bumping the Vtt voltage. Thanks again.

Sorry, didn't see your other post about about the x17 multi until now!

I didn't think of that when you mentioned XMP, sorry.

Here is settings for you to try at stock CPU and memory close to stock, but with XMP disable, this way your CPU will function as it normally would

Also, Vcore would need increased mainly to overclock to 3.7-4Ghz, much more than Vtt (Keep Vtt under Vcore, and within 0.5 of the ram voltage)

Code:
    Advanced Frequency Settings:

CPU Clock Ratio 20x

Advanced Core Features  [Press Enter]:

Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech................[Disabled]  << Enabled for Default CPU speeds (IE Turbo to 3.2Ghz when needed)
    CPU Cores Enabled........................[All]
    CPU Multi-Threading......................[Disabled]  << Enabled if option available
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)..................[Auto]  << Disable for full speed CPU always, or auto/enable for clock up/down at CPU Idle/Load
    C3/C6/C7 State Support...................[Auto]
    CPU Thermal Monitor......................[Auto]
    CPU EIST Function........................[Auto]   << Disable for full speed CPU always, or auto/enable for clock up/down at CPU Idle/Load
    Bi-Directional PROCHOT...................[Auto]

QPI Clock Ratio..........................[Auto] Auto is fine
    QPI Link Speed........................[x]
    Uncore Clock Ratio....................[18x]
    Uncore Frequency.........................3600MHz (locked per CPU)

>>>>>   Standard Clock Control <<<<<

Base Clock (BCLK) Control................[Enabled]
    BCLK Frequency ..........................[133]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)..........[Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)...........[Disabled]  << Set x12 = 1596Mhz (12x133= 1600Mhz memory)
    Memory Frequency (MHz)................1600
    PCI Express Frequency (MHz)..............[Auto]  << Set 100
    C.I.A.2..................................[Disabled]

>>>>>   Advanced Clock Control   <<<<<

CPU Clock Drive..........................[ 800mV]
    PCI Express Clock Drive..................[ 900mV]
    CPU Clock Skew...........................[    0ps]

Channel Interleaving.....................[Auto]
    Rank Interleaving........................[Auto]

>>>>>   Channel A & B

Channel A Timing Settings            [Press Enter]:
    Cas Latency Time........................[8]
    tRCD....................................[8]
    tRP.....................................[8]
    tRAS...................................[24]

>>>>>   Advanced Timing Control

tRC....................................[Auto]
    tRRD...................................[Auto]
    tWTR...................................[Auto]
    tWR....................................[Auto]
    tWTP...................................[Auto]
    tWL....................................[Auto]
    tRFC...................................[Auto]
    tRTP...................................[Auto]
    tFAW...................................[Auto]
    Command Rate (CMD).................. 1 [1]

>>>>>   Misc Timing Control

B2B Cas Delay..........................[Auto]
    Round Trip Latency.....................[Auto]

Channel A Turnaround Settings [Press Enter]:
    Different DIMMs........................[Auto]
    On The Same Rank.......................[Auto]

>>>>>   Channel A Writes Followed By Writes

On The Same Rank.......................[Auto]

Advanced Voltage Settings:

******Mother Board Voltage Control ******
    Voltage Types............Normal......Current
    --------------------------------------------

>>> CPU
    Load Line Calibration...................[Level X]  << Auto or Level 1
    CPU Vcore..................1.19375v..[1.xv]  << Auto
    QPI/VTT Voltage..........1.100v.....[1.x00v]  << Set this to 1.15-1.25, if you still get BSOD 0x00000124 then you need more here

>>> MCH/ICH
    PCH Core....................1.050v.....[Auto]
    CPU PLL......................1.800v.....[Auto]

>>> DRAM
    DRAM Voltage..............1.500v.....[1.660v]
    DRAM Termination.........0.750v.....[Auto]
    Ch-A Data VRef............0.750v.....[Auto]
    Ch-A Data VRef............0.750v.....[Auto]
    Ch-B Data VRef............0.750v.....[Auto]
    Ch-B Data VRef............0.750v.....[Auto]

Thread Information