Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bios freeze when using AHCI

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Bios freeze when using AHCI

I need to know what RAID ROM is used, not AHCI, I'll grab the BIOS and check so no worries.

And yes your issue does sound similar, but trust me what they are pointing out with AHCI 1.20E does not affect you because you have already partitioned your drive and the drives do not come partitioned anyway so the fault cannot happen on a C300 unless manually and intentionally done as described in that thread.

I'll check your latest BIOS now, and then update it, then you can test out RAID with a single disk instead of AHCI. Both still load the AHCI and RAID ROM, but some SSD's have issue with older RAID ROM's, that's why I mentioned this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I'll check your latest BIOS now, and then update it, then you can test out RAID with a single disk instead of AHCI. Both still load the AHCI and RAID ROM, but some SSD's have issue with older RAID ROM's, that's why I mentioned this.
    However, as I mentioned in my previous post this issue is affecting non-SSD's as well.

OK, old BIOS F11d used RAID ROM V. 8.9.1.1002. This is probably the problem, many SSD have issue with older RAID ROMs, 8.5-8.9 usually ok, but 9.6 or newer is best.

New Modified BIOS uses V. 10.5.0.916
    EP45-UD3P F11d Mod.zip

Please enable booting of all disk modes using the following registry edit's, if you have not already done this, please verify each is set to zero if you have done this previously

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0 (Win 7 / Vista ONLY)
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

Please flash using Qflash and disable "Keep DMI Data" before you flash. Then once done reboot to the BIOS and load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS. Once in the BIOS again set RAID at the top of the Integrated Peripherals section as follows, then save/apply/reboot once more BACK to BIOS, this last time in the BIOS go to Advanced BIOS page and then into Hard Disk Boot Priority, and move your C300 to the top of that list. While in the Advanced BIOS page also set your 1, 2, 3 boot order to Hard Drive, Nothing, Nothing.

Integrated Peripherals

eXtreme Hard Drive (Intel ICH10R Chipset) ........................ Disabled/Auto
    ICH SATA Control Mode (Intel ICH10R Chipset) ..................... RAID
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICH10R South Bridge) ............. Enabled

Then boot to windows and see if you still get the hang or not. You can also try normal AHCI if you like too since I updated the RAID ROM, either will load the RAID ROM anyway

OK, old BIOS F11d used RAID ROM V. 8.9.1.1002. This is probably the problem, many SSD have issue with older RAID ROMs, 8.5-8.9 usually ok, but 9.6 or newer is best.

New Modified BIOS uses V. 10.5.0.916
    EP45-UD3P F11d Mod.zip

Please enable booting of all disk modes using the following registry edit's, if you have not already done this, please verify each is set to zero if you have done this previously

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0 (Win 7 / Vista ONLY)
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start
    Please flash using Qflash and disable "Keep DMI Data" before you flash. Then once done reboot to the BIOS and load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS. Once in the BIOS again set RAID at the top of the Integrated Peripherals section as follows, then save/apply/reboot once more BACK to BIOS, this last time in the BIOS go to Advanced BIOS page and then into Hard Disk Boot Priority, and move your C300 to the top of that list. While in the Advanced BIOS page also set your 1, 2, 3 boot order to Hard Drive, Nothing, Nothing.

Integrated Peripherals

eXtreme Hard Drive (Intel ICH10R Chipset) ........................ Disabled/Auto
    ICH SATA Control Mode (Intel ICH10R Chipset) ..................... RAID
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICH10R South Bridge) ............. Enabled

Then boot to windows and see if you still get the hang or not. You can also try normal AHCI if you like too since I updated the RAID ROM, either will load the RAID ROM anyway
    Ok, I followed your instructions and installed the modified BIOS on BOTH of my computers (one with SSD, one with non-SSD hard drive). On BOTH computers I experienced the same result:

1. On the first reboot into the operating system after switching to RAID mode everything works fine. The system boots normally and goes into Windows 7 which works fine.

2. Shutdown the system.

3. Reboot. This time the system hangs in exactly the same place as described above.

This happened on both computers with the modified BIOS and is exactly the same behavior as when I installed the latest unmodified BIOS. So changing the ROM didn't change the result at all.

It appears that Windows 7 is writing something to the drive that is causing the BIOS to hang when it attempts the second boot. Once it gets into this state the drives have to be unplugged to get back to the BIOS settings to change back to IDE to be able to successfully boot. I can at will repeat this cycle very predictably. After booting successfully in IDE mode it is then possible to change to RAID/AHCI and work successfully once. However, the next shutdown and reboot will cause the hang.

Also, I will repeat again. This problem is occurring on both boot drives and plain old data drives as well as SSD and non-SSD on two different computers with the same MB.

I did hear you about other drives too, sorry I did not acknowledge that.

Do you have IDE drives connected at all? These SATA Disks, is the one you boot to connected to the first SATAII port (SATAII_0)? Just checking.

Does this happen with any OS, could you test XP or Vista? Sounds like some Windows 7 issue, and you seem to agree about that as well since you mention you think the OS writes something to the drive on that first reboot.

Can you show me an image of your disk management screen, in AHCI mode on windows 7 with ONLY the SSD connected, before that first reboot that messes it up. Also remove any USB Sticks you might have installed.

And can you please also show me an image of AS SSD benchmark for the SSD

Do you have all windows updates installed, SP1 and later? Also, are you using the latest Drivers?

Latest Intel RST Driver is here, please install first link from within windows in AHCI Mode
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...age+Technology

Before I respond to your questions let me first say that I appreciate your attempt to help me out. I am very frustrated with this situation and have already spent a lot of time messing with it. So please don't think I am being antagonistic towards you.

Do you have IDE drives connected at all? These SATA Disks, is the one you boot to connected to the first SATAII port (SATAII_0)?
    On computer 1 there are no IDE hard drives at all. There is one SSD and three SATA hard drives. There are two IDE dvd drives installed on the Gigabyte IDE controller. Yes, the SSD is on SATAII_0.

On computer 2 all of the hard drives and dvd drives are SATA. The boot disk is actually on the the Gigabyte controller while there are five SATA drives that are used for media storage on the Intel controller. On this computer it is the data drives that hang when in AHCI mode. The OS is not even on the same controller.

Does this happen with any OS, could you test XP or Vista? Sounds like some Windows 7 issue, and you seem to agree about that as well since you mention you think the OS writes something to the drive on that first reboot.
    I don't have access to another operating system to test, but I am not sure what good it would do anyway. Even if XP or Vista were to work that wouldn't resolve the problem for me since I am running Win 7. While I agree that the problem seems to be a result of Win 7 writing something to the disk, the real problem is that the BIOS freezes when whatever that value is appears on the disk.

And can you please also show me an image of AS SSD benchmark for the SSD
    I have included a AS SSD benchmark screenshot below. Note that this benchmark was run when in AHCI mode before rebooting and causing the hang to occur.

Can you show me an image of your disk management screen, in AHCI mode on windows 7 with ONLY the SSD connected, before that first reboot that messes it up. Also remove any USB Sticks you might have installed.
    I will try to get to this in the next day or two as I am in the midst of a development project right now. However, can you explain how this will help you? Especially given the fact, as I have explained, that on computer 2 there are no SSD's and the OS is not even on the Intel controller.

Do you have all windows updates installed, SP1 and later? Also, are you using the latest Drivers?
    Yes all of the lates drivers are installed, including SP1 and the latest RST drivers.Bios freeze when using AHCI-ssd-benchmark-png
    Last edited by mmoore99; 04-14-2011 at 01:33 PM.

No worries man, I didn't think that at all! I was just letting you know that I did see your comment previously, so you'd know I did for sure see that you'd mentioned it is all.

OK for now, lets test each computer with only the SSD on each. That's what this stems from right, the SSD freezing in AHCI? Anyway, lets test one disk at a time so you can maybe rule out a disk as causing this, sometimes a working disk can cause this even though it's working it can still be failing and run smoothly otherwise and pass all diagnostic tests. But still cause a hang at bootup in any disk mode, so it could be a partially faulty disk.

If the SSD always hangs, then try one of your other drives instead to rule out all disks one by one. You mentioned that one setup has two IDE drives, are those both data drives, not one CD/DVD and one hard drive?

On the RAID setup, that's gonna be hard to diagnose unless you remove all the RAID drives and test with one of your other drives that is known to be working. Since it is likely that maybe only 1-2 of those RAID drives is causing the issue and would need to be RMA'd.

I just mentioned another OS as a test, since you commented about windows 7 writing to the disk causing it to fail to boot after that initial AHCI boot that did work. No worries here if you can't test another OS, you can likely find the issue via other disk testing mentioned above. It sounds to me like one or more of your drives is going bad.

I just wanted to see your partition layout, that's why I asked about the Disk Management screen, but no need as I can see in your AS SSD screenshot that you do indeed have 200MB or more of space allocated before the OS Partition. I was just thinking maybe this is part of the issue as well, because another thread here users are having some similar issues with disk detection and I personally can't test that easily because I always create my own partitions and align them so they begin at 1024k

No worries man, I didn't think that at all! I was just letting you know that I did see your comment previously, so you'd know I did for sure see that you'd mentioned it is all.

OK for now, lets test each computer with only the SSD on each. That's what this stems from right, the SSD freezing in AHCI? Anyway, lets test one disk at a time so you can maybe rule out a disk as causing this, sometimes a working disk can cause this even though it's working it can still be failing and run smoothly otherwise and pass all diagnostic tests. But still cause a hang at bootup in any disk mode, so it could be a partially faulty disk.

If the SSD always hangs, then try one of your other drives instead to rule out all disks one by one. You mentioned that one setup has two IDE drives, are those both data drives, not one CD/DVD and one hard drive?

On the RAID setup, that's gonna be hard to diagnose unless you remove all the RAID drives and test with one of your other drives that is known to be working. Since it is likely that maybe only 1-2 of those RAID drives is causing the issue and would need to be RMA'd.

I just mentioned another OS as a test, since you commented about windows 7 writing to the disk causing it to fail to boot after that initial AHCI boot that did work. No worries here if you can't test another OS, you can likely find the issue via other disk testing mentioned above. It sounds to me like one or more of your drives is going bad.

I just wanted to see your partition layout, that's why I asked about the Disk Management screen, but no need as I can see in your AS SSD screenshot that you do indeed have 200MB or more of space allocated before the OS Partition. I was just thinking maybe this is part of the issue as well, because another thread here users are having some similar issues with disk detection and I personally can't test that easily because I always create my own partitions and align them so they begin at 1024k
    Before I began posting regarding this problem I had done numerous tests with individual disks to determine which disks, by themseleves, would cause the hang.

On computer 1 the SSD and two of the other SATA drives when installed on the system as the only hard drive will cause the hang.

On computer 2 three of the five data drives, when installed as the only drive on the system, will cause the hang.

In my opinion, there is no way that I have six failing hard drives, all of which are relatively new and all of which work perfectly fine when in IDE mode. I think I am just going to have to accept the fact that as long as I have these MB's I am going to just have to accept running these drives in IDE mode, realizing that I won't get full performance out of the SSD in particular or be able to hot swap drives on the Intel controller on computer 2.

Hmm, ya I'd tend to agree with you there! I was thinking maybe 1-2 drives might do this, but that is way to many to actually be faulty.

Sorry I can't help you with this anymore than I have, I'm just not sure what else you could try or what would be causing this.

Have you looked at the drives in a hex editor to ensure that you don't have small values written to those areas that you mentioned and linked previously? I doubt you do at all, but just wondered if you ever did check or not.

Have you tested the 10.1.2.1004 drivers to see if they help? Worth a shot I suppose, you can grab them here
    intel drivers pour Raid/Sata/Ata/Ahci

You should also go ahead and start a ticket with Gigabyte support to see if they can help
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information