Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bios freeze when using AHCI

Default Bios freeze when using AHCI

I am experiencing a very weird problem trying to run my Crucial C300 SSD in AHCI mode on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard (Bios F10f). I don't think there is a problem with the C300, but I am posting about it here in the hopes that someone else may have something to suggest, because I have tried everything I can think of. Bear with me, this is a little complicated to explain.

I have Windows 7 x64 installed on the C300 and everything is aligned properly as confirmed by AS SSD. The operating system was initially installed when the drive was running in IDE mode and has been running fine. After reading some threads in forums I decided to change to AHCI. Following the instructions in some other threads regarding how to make the change I got everything running successfully in AHCI mode...temporarily. Everything worked fine for a couple of days. Then yesterday when I turned on the computer the system hung while in the bootup process at the point where the the Bios is trying to detect the AHCI drives. At the point of the hang, the following was displayed:

Code:
    Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, Version iSrc 1.20E 
    Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation 23 
    ** This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM drives ** Please wait. 
    This will take few seconds.  
    Controller Bus#00, Device1#F, Function#02: 06 Ports, 03 Devices
    Normally, all of the drives that are on the Intel controller are listed following this message, however in this case the system just froze. Note the number "23" on the second line of the display, that status always appears when this hang condition occurs. Note, that this occurs before even being able to get to the bios settings, so it has nothing to do with actually booting the OS, it hasn't got that far yet.
    In order to be able to get to the bios settings screen I had to unplug the C300. I uplugged the C300 and went into bios settings and changed back to IDE mode for the Intel controller. I plugged the C300 back in and rebooted. Everything worked fine when in IDE mode.

I then shutdown and went into bios settings and set the intel controller back to AHCI and rebooted. This time the system rebooted normally and everything was now working fine in AHCI mode again...again temporarily. I tried rebooting the system several times and after about the fourth time the system hung again at the same place as reported earlier. I went through the same cycle described above, setting things back to IDE rebooting, working successfully, setting back to AHCI, working successfully for a while and then encountering the error condition again. I went through the whole cycle several more times with the same result.

I google'd "isrc1.20e" and found several threads containing discussions of similar issues, but no one seemed to have a solution to the problem. One of the threads is here.

I have been working with computers for a long time and this is one of the strangest problems I have encountered. I am hoping that someone on this forum will have some suggestions as to how to resolve this as I would really like to run the C300 in AHCI mode to be able to fully utilize its speed.

Default Re: Bios freeze when using AHCI

Tried reflashing the bios but untick the "keep dmi pool data" box before you flash?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chike is offline Senior Member

I think there's a known issue with some AHCI versions.
    Can you switch to RAID mode? This implies AHCI and is the recommanded mode by Intel.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    I think there's a known issue with some AHCI versions.
    Can you switch to RAID mode? This implies AHCI and is the recommanded mode by Intel.
    I tried it with RAID mode earlier, but the same problem occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    Tried reflashing the bios but untick the "keep dmi pool data" box before you flash?
    I reflashed as you described above, but that did not resolve the problem.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

The AHCI ICH issue you guys mention only affects new drives that are not formatted or are formatted in a certain way (0x01c3 or 0x01c4 containing small bytes), once you have formatted the drive and have it all setup the issue is non existent.

More info on that here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post388645

And
    Removing AHCI option rom?

Since you have already formatted the drive and set it up this is a non-issue for you, aside from that C300 does not come pre-formatted anyway so this wouldn't have been an issue anyway.

Please try the latest beta BIOS F11d
    http://oldforum.gigabyte.de/forumdow...1/ep45ud3p.zip

Be sure you load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot after you flash the BIOS before you go in and start changing settings.

Then be sure you have your SSD connected to the first SATA port (SATAII_0) and put your CD/DVD drive on one of the last two ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

Please try the latest beta BIOS F11d
    http://oldforum.gigabyte.de/forumdow...1/ep45ud3p.zip

Be sure you load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot after you flash the BIOS before you go in and start changing settings.

Then be sure you have your SSD connected to the first SATA port (SATAII_0) and put your CD/DVD drive on one of the last two ports.
    I loaded BIOS F11d, but it did not fix the problem.

I have a second computer with the same MB that has the same problem when trying to run using AHCI. On the second computer the drive is a standard hard disk, not a SSD.

Also, this problem affects drives that are just being used as data drives as well as boot drives. I moved the boot drive off of the Intel controller so that there are only data drives left on that controller. The system still freezes at exactly the same place when set to AHCI. When the setting is IDE everything works fine.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ok, this still does not sound like the AHCI bug you mention though.

Try clearing the CMOS fully overnight and then start fresh with optimized and see if that helps.

Hey, what RAID ROM / AHCI BIOS version shows when that screen goes by? This could be the issue, you may need a newer RAID ROM in the BIOS for the SSD anyway, if it is old (IE Before 9.6) I can update it for you

Hey, what RAID ROM / AHCI BIOS version shows when that screen goes by? This could be the issue, you may need a newer RAID ROM in the BIOS for the SSD anyway, if it is old (IE Before 9.6) I can update it for you
    Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, Version iSrc 1.20E </pre>

Ok, this still does not sound like the AHCI bug you mention though.
    I disagree. This is exactly the same issue that has been referred to in a number of other threads, including the ones that you provided links to. Unfortunately, no one seems to know how to fix the problem, which kind of blows my mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information