Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: G1 Series: USB 3.0 Internal cable does not really fit w/ some GPU combos

Default G1 Series: USB 3.0 Internal cable does not really fit w/ some GPU combos

Dear Gigabyte,

I have your new G1 Sniper motherboard, although I'm sure this applies to the other variants in this series as well.

I am trying to put a reference dual-slot GPU in the 3rd PCIE x16 slot, and if I try to use the USB 3.0 internal header with the included connector/cable/3.5" assembly, the card puts a lot of stress against the connector and header. Please see below photo for what I mean, although the photo doesn't really show just how much the connector is bending with the GPU forced against it.

I understand that due to the high frequencies involved in USB 3.0 that you need thicker gauge cables and connectors, but maybe you could place them in another area of the motherboard where they won't physically interfere with GPUs in certain configurations?

Placing the header facing the same orientation and in the same vicinity as the SATA ports would work great, for example, and be closer to the front of most cases, making it easier for the 3.5" bay to be mounted on larger cases.

Or give us a cable connector with a 90 degree bend coming out of the header, or some similar solution.
    Raven RV03 / Gigabyte G1.Sniper / 990x / 12GB RAM / 3 x 580 GTX / 2 x 250GB 510 & 3 x 160GB X-25M Intel SSDs / Antec HCP 1200W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: G1 Series: USB 3.0 Internal cable does not really fit w/ some GPU combos

Send them in a report here, maybe they can send you a 90 degree cable if you ask nicely?
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

Default Re: G1 Series: USB 3.0 Internal cable does not really fit w/ some GPU combos

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Send them in a report here, maybe they can send you a 90 degree cable if you ask nicely?
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support
    Worth a try! I wanted to post this thread as a general heads up in any event.

Once I am able to test whether the USB 3.0 is working or not (in this 'stressed' configuration) I'll report back.
    Raven RV03 / Gigabyte G1.Sniper / 990x / 12GB RAM / 3 x 580 GTX / 2 x 250GB 510 & 3 x 160GB X-25M Intel SSDs / Antec HCP 1200W

How sad :)
    Phenom II X4 965 BE
    Team Elite 4gb single stick ddr3 1333
    Asus M4A88TD-M
    Seagate 1Tb 7200.12rpm 6gb/s
    Seagate 320gb 7200.11rpm 3gb/s
    Lite-on all Rw Lightscribe
    Ac3 alienware casing
    Powerline 650watts modular
    Powercolor AMD 5770
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Gigabyte responded, saying they don't have angled connectors, but that they'd pass my comments on to the design department.

It appears other motherboard manufacturers are starting to put their USB 3.0 headers by the SATA ports, at least on some motherboards. This is really a much better location for these thick connectors.

Well hopefully you wont be the only one to report this, that way the design team thinks about this placement a bit more for future boards

It looks like it is still functional. Hopefully the stress on the connector doesn't have any negative effects in the long term.

Nice to see it doesn't bend it too far at least, but ya hopefully it wont have a negative long term effect!

Thread Information