Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP35-DS3L and E5200 fails with Machine Check Exception error on OS load

Default GA-EP35-DS3L and E5200 fails with Machine Check Exception error on OS load

Hi, I've got a Revision 1.0 GA-EP35-DS3L board and it works fine with E4300 and E6300 Core2Duos but when I stick in a Pentium Dual Core E5200 (SLB9T Malay, 45nm), the board POSTs no problem, however ALL Operating Systems fail to load (i.e. get to the Desktop) with either a reboot or a BSOD stating a Machine Check Exception error.

That's WinXP, Windows 7 and Linux all failing to load properly. The Linux kernel spits out errors about MCE corruption or something.

I've tried BIOS F6 and beta F7a, same problem. Weird thing is I can go into the BIOS, overclock, change settings, anything.. all that stuff works.. just can't get into any Operating Systems, lol, even on default, safe settings.

Any ideas? Is the Rev 1.0 board no good for 45nm? or is this a BIOS issue? CPU faulty?

Never seen this particular problem before, lol. Frustrating.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA-EP35-DS3L and E5200 fails with Machine Check Exception error on OS load

Is the E5200 known to work on another motherboard? Could be defective CPU.
    Try to clear CMOS for a couple of hours with both battery out and shorting CLR_CMOS pins, then load optimized defaults.

Default Re: GA-EP35-DS3L and E5200 fails with Machine Check Exception error on OS load

The only other board I have to test is a GA-P965-DS3 Rev 1.0, the E5200 does the same thing in that, POSTs but crashes on loading OS. Cleared the CMOS with battery removal (but not for hours just about 30 minutes) and no change.

Would a faulty CPU exhibit these kind of symptoms? Maybe I need a P45 board?

Are you doing clean os installs when e5200 installed? Or put in os disk and doing start up repair? Could the os be lacking a cpu driver?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CPU support list of the GA-EP35-DS3L show it's compatible with BIOS F6 and above.
    Perhaps try mcelog to get more details about this.

The OSes are already installed, I'm just swapping out the CPU.

mcelog looks like the best option to figure this out in Linux, thanks for the link.

Damn shame, this chip overclocks to 4Ghz easily, aargh

I wouldn't be so sure of it, not all can handle even 320MHz FSB which is needed for 4GHz.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sounds like a faulty CPU to me, are you sure it's good? You say it can do 4Ghz, have you done that with it, or did you just purchase this CPU from someone else that said it could do 4Ghz?

If you just bought it, then it may have been sold to you faulty, as mentioned above F6 and onwards support that CPU.
    GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket 775 - Intel P35 - GA-EP35-DS3L (rev. 1.x)

So if a extended clearing CMOS and then loading optimized defaults and rebooting does not help the CPU might be faulty

I don't know if the CPU is faulty, it came from Ebay (supposedly pulled from a working system) but it POSTs and boots at 4GHz (12 x 333 in BIOS) and crashes loading the OS in exactly the same manner when set to default 2.5GHz (12.5 x 200) so I don't know what to think about that.

Until I can get a different board that fully supports Wolfdale, or another similar CPU, I can't be sure.

The thing is, I've never, ever, ever come across a faulty Intel CPU so I don't what sort of symptoms they'd exhibit. That's what I'd like to know, are these Machine Check Exception errors just an indication of board incompatibility or a defective processor? Yes, in theory the board with BIOS F6 should work but it *is* Rev 1.0 and maybe I'm just unlucky.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ahhh ok, sounds like maybe corrupt OS then!

Did you try F8 options at OS start, so you could try last known good? If not try that, and or safe mode.

If neither help try a clean install. Was this disk originally installed on this board? What is the OS and what service pack?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information