Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3L - RAM problems

Default EP45-UD3L - RAM problems

Hello again everyone,
    I'm having some troubles with my PC:
    GA-EP45-UD3L - Bios F9| E6750@2.6GHz | 2x1GB Ceon + 2GB G.Skill @ 800Mhz| BFG Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB OC | 2TB + 320GB WD , 500GB Samsung | Zalman CNP7700

Problem is as follows, I had the 2X1GB Ceon sticks for about a year.
    Everything worked fine, and then I went and bought the 2GB G.Skill stick (all 800Mhz),
    I had a few BSODs here and there, all of them regarding memory (PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT are the most prominent, with a few others I can't remember).
    of course I started digging around, and the first thing I tested was the RAM, suspected the newly added stick.
    so I ran Memtest86+ on the new stick - nothing, did a few runs, some over 20 passes, never under 10.
    tested my old 2 Ceon sticks, the same, no errors.
    tested all 3 sticks together (4GB total), and BAM, all sorts of errors!
    I kept playing with the testing , swapped slots, cleaned them, anything I could think of.

Eventually, I figured it might be a some weird compatibility between the different brands
    for the record, the Ceon is 5-5-5-18, while the G-Skill is 5-5-5-15.
    so I went and bought another G.Skill stick, identical to the first one.

Put them both together, still it's the same, ran Memtest86+ on both sticks and got plenty of errors, changed the channel and it's the same, tested each stick separately and they came out clean.
    Now i'm running with just 1 G.Skill 2GB stick , and everything is running smooth.

If anybody has any ideas what can be done, or other ways to test the problem, i'll be more than happy to read, they only thing i can think of at the moment, is that for some reason, the MB has issues with 4Gb of ram.

If I missed any details, just say so
    Sorry for the long story, and thanks a lot in advance :) :

P.S. Another weird thing I forgot to say, which i'm not sure if it's related, but it happend to me twice already. after POST the computer hanged, restarted and checked the HDs names, and 1 HD name was (I kid you not) BzBzBzBzBzBzBzBzBzBzBzBz.
    checking it's details through the BIOS, on each boot it reported a different capacity and after plugging and unplugging them a few times, it sorted out somehow.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: EP45-UD3L - RAM problems

Mixing ram is always a problem.
    For instance I mixed 2x1GB G.Skill PC-8500 PI with one of my 2GB G.Skill PK, and could never make them work at 1066, getting them to work at 800 was difficult enough.

First the layout. To have 3 stick operating at dual-channel mode put the 1GB sticks in slots 1 & 2, and the 2GB stick in slot 3.
    Before you add the 3rd stick, load optimized defaults, disable XMP (if present in BIOS), set Performance Enhamnce standard,
    MCH Core 1.16-1.24v, DRAM Voltage 1.9v.
    Save changes, power off and add the 3rd stick.
    Or you can do this with 1x2GB and add the other in slot 3.
    Please post a screen capture of MemSet main and SPD(click spd) windows.

First of all, thanks for the help :)

I did everything you suggested (after loading optimized default):
    no XMP available; Performance Enhance - Standard; MCH Core - 1.16v; DRAM - 1.9v;
    screenshot attached, for some reason in the spd window it says at the bottom that the voltage is 1.8, I double checked it, and it's running 1.9.

So currently running 2x2GB, i'll run memtest again and post back any updates.

BTW, any idea on the BzBzBz thing??

EP45-UD3L - RAM problems-memset-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by XisLoose View Post
    BTW, any idea on the BzBzBz thing??
    Does it still happen? All kind of weird things are possible when memory is unstable.

Yes SPD is 1.8v but for 4GB it help to have some more. No worries 1.9 is within standard limits. You can try lower it if you wish.

Happend twice so far, first time with the 2x1 and 2x1 sticks, second time with only the 1x2 stick.
    and on both times the name thing was the same.

You think it has any relation to the RAM? my first bet was actually on the CMOS being corrupted somehow, though I tried to reset it with no luck, only after random plug/unplug actions it somehow sorted out.
    any chance it's a hard disk problem?(s.m.a.r.t came out clean).

I realy don't know. Wait to see if it happens again.

After you done testing you may try to set Performance Enhance Turbo and see if it improve memory performance.
    It may require a lick or two more MCH Core.
    You can use MaxxMEM² - PreView or any other memory benchmark for performance comparison.

We'll have to wait with the comparisons, after 4 passes with Memtest, there were about 8 errors :(

All of them were in the first stick, i'll try switching sticks, and see if I get the same errors.
    any other ideas how we can isolate the problem?

How do you make hey are from first stick?
    Try 1.2v MCH Core.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    How do you make hey are from first stick?
    The errors show which memory blocks are the troublesome ones, 459MB-450MB for example.
    and you can see which stick got what address range.

The memory is in dual-channel mode, this could be either stick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information