Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Pesky S3 HAL Event 12 Error in Windows 7 w/ GA-P55-UD4P, GA-P55-UD2, and others

Default Pesky S3 HAL Event 12 Error in Windows 7 w/ GA-P55-UD4P, GA-P55M-UD2, and others

Computer #1:
    Motherboard: GA-P55-UD4P, BIOS F10 (latest)
    RAM: 8 GB (2 x 4GB), Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
    VID: BFG GTX 260 SLI

Computer #2:
    Motherboard: GA-P55M-UD2 v1.1, BIOS F11 (latest)
    RAM: 4 GB (2 x 2GB), G.Skill F3-12800CL7-2GBRH
    VID: eVGA GTX 430

I've observed the following error in Window 7's System Event Log when I awake from S3 sleep for the first time after a reboot:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-HAL
    Date: 5/22/2011 10:24:47 PM
    Event ID: 12
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: (1)
    User: N/A
    Computer: .....

Description:
    The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.

Another symptom (possibly related) was that memory timings got changed during that first S3 sleep. The specific change depended on the memory speed set in BIOS. At 1333 MHz, the "Command Rate" changed, from 1T (before S3) to 2T after. At 1600 MHz, the "CAS Latency" changed, from 9T to 10T. (Memory settings gathered from CPU-Z and EVEREST.)

Before S3 sleep: (DDR3 1600 MHz)

After S3 sleep:

To combat this, I manually forced the memory setting in BIOS to its eventual value, e.g. set "CAS Latency" to 10T for 1600 MHz. Unfortunately, this did not solve the HAL Event 12 Error.

Google search on "HAL Event 12" led me to this Microsoft white paper:
    Firmware Corruption of Memory During Sleep Transitions

"During Windows development, we observed some systems that corrupt the lowest 1 MB of physical memory during a sleep transition. We traced the memory corruption to code defects in platform firmware. Because of the pervasiveness of the problem in the industry and the desire for reliable sleep transitions, Windows no longer stores operating system code and data in the lowest 1 MB of physical memory."

"To help detect and prevent this firmware code defect, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 automatically checksum the contents of the lowest 1 MB of physical memory and log an error event to the system event channel if the memory is corrupted. The event enables system manufacturers and firmware developers to identify the code defect and develop updated firmware..."

I was able to narrow down the cause to the BIOS because these two computers use different brand and speed of RAM, different generation of video cards, different brands of HDD, and both have no other peripherals except mouse and keyboard, which are also different brands. (I even turned off USB for testing.)

Some people downplayed this problem, as Windows Vista / 7 avoided the corruptive 1 MB area for OS code and data. But that still leaves Windows XP vulnerable to system crash. (I have another GA-P55M-UD2 system running Windows XP SP3.) And all OS are potentially corrupting user data during the first S3 sleep, as HAL Event 12 only occurs when Windows 7 detects checksum difference in the lowest 1 MB of physical memory, before and after S3 sleep.

As a safety precaution, I've taken to S3 suspend my GA-P55-UDx computers as soon as I reboot - yeah, that sounds a bit ludicrous. But it sure beats discovering random file errors in the future.
    Last edited by Yikes2000; 05-23-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Pesky S3 HAL Event 12 Error in Windows 7 w/ GA-P55-UD4P, GA-P55-UD2, and others

Please pass this along to the tech support team and see if they have any fix or thoughts for you on the issue
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

Default Re: Pesky S3 HAL Event 12 Error in Windows 7 w/ GA-P55-UD4P, GA-P55-UD2, and others

we are also seeing this error on our builds on this motherboard. It is a nightmare as it cannot be resolved with latest BIOS updates.

Gigabyte has always been a reliable platform but we are having a rethink on that now.

GB support has been no help.
    Computers Perth + Mobile Computer Repair Perth Western Australia

I've also had this error on two system builds using GA-M68M-S2P boards. Updating BIOS to latest F5 version did not fix the problem.

Thread Information