Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP43-DS3L Boots to Black Screen

Default GA-EP43-DS3L Boots to Black Screen

Hey there! New to the forum, hopefully I can get some help with this problem.

I have two GA-EP43-DS3L boards and they have been nothing but trouble. Both builds are identical:

Mobo: GA-EP43-DS3L
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.99GHz
    RAM: Corsair 533MHz DDR2 1Gb x 4
    GPU: EVGA 9500GT

I built these boxes mainly for the purpose as to act as a primary and secondary NAS failover system. I bought the systems two years ago and kept popping having one issue to the next with the mobo's. I ended up popping them in a closet and buying new hardware 3 months after having headaches with them. Now I needed two Linux systems and figured these boxes were more then satisfactory, but I keep running into the same error. I boot the boxes and they load to the Gigabyte banner, then they hang at a black screen with a flashing underscore. I cannot figure out why.

My main thought were BIOS configs, so I went through and reset the BIOS by unplugging the power cable from the PSU and pulling the CMOS battery for 90 seconds while holding the power down to drain any residual power from the capacitors. I pop the battery back in, it gives me a BIOS checksum error and then back to the same problem. I noticed that when I also try to get into the BIOS by hitting "del" or the boot menu "F12" I cannot get the system to read the response of the keyboard. I've tried 6 keyboards, 2 PS2 and 4 USB and none of them can get a response from the mobo. Aside from navigating to through the checksum error from a CMOS reset I cannot do squat with the keyboard.

Any ideas? It's weird that 2 systems would do the same thing... But I guess that shows how consistent Gigabyte is with faulty hardware. I wish I had returned these Mobo's when I had a chance... But since I've got them I'd like to get them working.

Thanks,

Tihsho

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: GA-EP43-DS3L Boots to Black Screen

Many forum members have used the EP43-DS3L without problems.
    What brand/model power supply are in each system?
    Which bios version is installed?
    Have you tried:
    • different video cables or monitors?
    • different power supplies? Are you are using cheapy generic power supplies?
    • using a PS/2 keyboard?
    • is a case speaker hooked up to your motherboard? If yes, and beeps?
    • does your system double boot when you turn it on?

I suggest booting with a minimal hardware setup:
    • only one memory module in slot #1
    • PS/2 keyboard
    • video card
    Disconnect any attached usb devices, sound cards or other add-in cards, mouse, etc.

You might need to test with your motherboard removed from the computer case.
    Check out http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post301218, post #2 for more information.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Many forum members have used the EP43-DS3L without problems.
    What brand/model power supply are in each system?
    They both have 600w BFG power supplies in them. I have a 750w PC Power and Cooling PSU which I can test with if need be. I doubt both PSU's would be failing equally, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Which bios version is installed?
    I'd tell you if my keyboard would respond or if the BIOS boot would show up...

Have you tried:
    • different video cables or monitors?
    Yes and yes
    • different power supplies? Are you are using cheapy generic power supplies?
    Not yet, and no I don't buy cheap/generic/budget/chinsy power supplies.
    • using a PS/2 keyboard?
    Thats always my first resort when I'm getting weird responses from keyboards
    • is a case speaker hooked up to your motherboard? If yes, and beeps?
    I never got one with my boards from what I remember, which means its either built into the board (rare for newer boards), was never put in the box, or I overlooked it. Usually I just tape them in the case rather then install them, so I don't think the latter on this.
    • does your system double boot when you turn it on?
    Double boot? How so? Kick on then off then restart kinda thing?[/LIST]
    I suggest booting with a minimal hardware setup:
    • only one memory module in slot #1
    • PS/2 keyboard
    • video card
    Disconnect any attached usb devices, sound cards or other add-in cards, mouse, etc.
    Only thing I was booting with was a keyboard, monitor and gigabit network card when I was trying to debug it. I'll remove the card and see what it does.
    You might need to test with your motherboard removed from the computer case.
    Check out http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post301218, post #2 for more information.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Your BFG power supplies are decent units and shouldn't be a problem.

Once you can boot into the bios, make a note of your bios settings and fill in your settings using the bios template in http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post295784, post #5.

We can best help you if you'll provide as much information as possible in steps 1 - 4 in the above link.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

I'll check that out tonight when I get off of work. I've done almost everything I can think of to get to the BIOS, but no dice.

I'll let you guys know tonight how things go after going through some bench tests.

Thread Information