Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte e7aum-dsh2 troubleshooting - Phase LED lights, no post

Default Gigabyte e7aum-dsh2 troubleshooting - Phase LED lights, no post

Full specs for the machine are below. This is an HTPC that we've had for about 2 years that has worked flawlessly until now. We just moved this weekend and now it won't power up at all. I was VERY careful moving the unit and the move was only a block away so I can assure you the machine was not beat around or even jostled much. I've been trying to troubleshoot this but one of my problems right now is that they haven't come to hook up our broadband yet so we have no internet access and I'm stuck using only my phone which is tough for viewing schematics and manuals, etc. Its also in a small cube case which makes seeing anything difficult...the case has an upper and lower part though and I can remove the upper part (with cables/powersupply, etc) which will give me better access to the board underneath, I halfway did this last night but ran out of time so I will do that fully tonight based off your suggestions

Here are the symptoms:

1)When I power it on, it appears to power up for about 3 secs then shuts down completely. It never gets past this 3 sec mark. Its got 4 fans (3 rear, one front) plus the CPU fan. These all spin up when power comes on
    2)There are 4 Phase LED lights on this board, when power comes on they light up green-green-yellow-red. I can find no solid documentation on what exactly this means beyond the manual which simply states "The number of lighted LEDs indicates the CPU loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more the number of lighted LEDs". Can anyone offer more insight on this, can they actually be used to diagnose anything or are they just the equivalent of the 'check engine' idiot light?
    3)I 'believe' the board has a speaker installed on it (though I haven't been able to find it, again its hard to see the whole board in detail). But I base this on past experience booting the machine up it would issue a single short beep at the very beginning of its startup (and I assume that would have to be coming from a speaker on the board right? not thru the soundcard?)
    4)I've tried some of the simple troubleshooting techniques I've found on these forums but no luck yet. I tried popping out the RAM, no luck, I tried removing the TV tuner card and the attached sound card but no luck. I 'believe' the GeForce 9400 is that big chip right smack in the middle of the board right? I haven't tried removing that because I couldn't get to it. I am reticent to reset the CMOS because I don't want to have to set that all up again and I don't really know how to. It seems to me that its much more likely a component that has failed or a power supply issue.

I've combed these boards looking for advice and the main thing that concerns me is that there seems to be a lot of 'try this' type advice often without a solid basis in troubleshooting the exact problem. I'm not trying to be a dick here, there are clearly some knowledgeable folks on here as well who are a great help, I just want to be very deliberate in how I approach this because I think that has the highest chance of success. Here's a good article on step by step troubleshooting that I intend to follow (PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about boot/no video problems! - New-System-Build - Homebuilt-Systems), please if you have any other suggestions, lend me a hand, thank you

Antec Earthwatts 430W 80+ High Efficiency Low Noise Power Supply
    Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H m-ATX nVidia 9400 Motherboard
    Intel 3.0Ghz E8400 Core 2 Duo CPU / 1333 fsb / 6mb L2 Cache / VT
    4gb DDR2-800 Memory (2048x2)
    Q2 Seagate 1TB SATA-II Pipeline DVR Hard Drives
    LG Blu-Ray Player - DVD-RW / ArcSoft TotalMedia
    Integrated nVidia 9400 Graphics / Hybrid SLI / D-Sub / DVI / HDMI / 1080P
    Hauppauge 2250 Dual ATSC / NTSC TV Tuner
    52 in 1 Memory Card Reader
    Integrated Intel Gigabit Network Interface
    Intel 7.1 Channel Dolby Home Theater Surround Sound
    Microsoft Vista Home Premium Operating System

Default Re: Gigabyte e7aum-dsh2 troubleshooting - Phase LED lights, no post

Sometimes if you move a component inside it causes the pc not to detect it,usually fully clearing the cmos fixes it,remove mb battery and leave out overnight then try,I know you didn't want to reset it,it could be the psu too,you could test with another before the cmos reset? Check all components/and cables are secure inside,hdd's/SATA cables mb/psu cables ect
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok so I have an update after being able to get home and take the case fully apart. I tried again disconnecting the RAM and no difference. Since the second most popular reason I've read for this issue has been a bad power supply I thought to measure the voltage on the leads. So I first disconnected the ATX 12V - 4 pin connector, hooked it up to a multi-meter and powered on the machine...but I didn't even look at the measurement initially because the damn thing started up! Well it sort of did anyway, it basically didn't turn off again after its usual 3 secs, it spun up as normal (no display of course) but everything sounded and looked like it was otherwise working as expected. Reconnecting the ATX 12V caused the problem to re-occur. What's going on here guys?

PS: after getting over my initial excitement I actually measured the voltage...it was spot on 12V for both the yellow and the yellow/black striped leads.

help!

It just means the mb is powering up but your cpu isn't because youve unplugged the 4 pin or 8pin plug that runs it,
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Tested the PSU using the paperclip trick and the voltage seems normal:

Yellow 12.12
    Red 5.07
    Orange 3.35
    Violet 5.05
    Gray 5.07
    Blue -11.35

I've also popped everything out that isn't soldered to the board (except the cpu) and disconnected cables to fans, hds etc. all to no avail...I've followed all the guides in detail even though most of them are geared towards new builds but still nothing..I don't see a speaker on the board so that's the only thing left I can think to try...very frustrating

Have you removed mb battery overnight yet?
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Did you clear CMOS yet? If not do that for 20 minutes with the power supply disconnected, then if that does not help clear it overnight.

See the second post here for my suggested method on clearing the CMOS
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html

If that doesn't help you should probably get the board out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray. Put it on a wooden table or cardboard box, then test with ONLY the CPU and heatsink, one stick of memory and your GFX card and see if it will start.

Thread Information